Polaris xp tons more travel stock width

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
im fairly new to this forum but have some very good information and news for polaris utv owners and im sure other utv manufacturers as well. as many know the polaris rzrs, xps, whatever have a terrible shock angle/motion, on my xp 900 i changed the shock angle and shocks and am able to achieve 16" of usable travel without bind, and at the stock width by relocating upper shock mount and moving the mount on the arm out 1.5". one can get about the same amount of travel as a long travel kit and keep it narrow and more nimble. i know this will work on rzr s, xp 900 and 1000 and im sure the new 900s. heres a couple pics of what i did. im not trying to knock any long travel kits as many are well built and durable, but wanted to enlighten the fab savy that a much better handling machine is achievable ultimately at the cost of a little metal and some standard coilover shocks.

Attachments

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
i also messed around with the rear today and just by moving the chassis shock mount and a getting a longer shock, one can achieve 16.5 inches of wheel travel without bind and the same amount of ground clearance. I left the down travel the same as popo built it to ensure no binding and gaining a ton of up travel. Im leaving the rear shock angle close to the original but moving it outward on the chassis a little. The biggest gain is going to be the front suspension and the ability to ride a lot smoother which transitions into faster.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Wouldn't changing the factory suspension points limit this to the recreation crowd versus racers, as rules would prohibit this kind of modification? Either way, very cool.

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
yes its not something to market because i would not make a mod like this bolt on, just want to throw out there that long travel is possible without making your machine 70+ inches wide, a weld on kit would be cool though i think

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
thats what im building my xp for is desert racing but i didnt want to be super wide because i still like taking it on trails and crawling and i feel this is a better way to make it handle better than trying to get your shocks to compensate for the design

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
You actually can get 16" of travel front and rear on the XP900 without changing the stock mounting points. Our Bilstein package can be ordered and set up for stock 14" of travel or 16". Just have to let us know what you want.

Also if you are going to 16" of travel 27" tire might not be enough. 2" static is one thing, throw in the terrain and tire deflection under hard hits, a 28" tire size is a better bet.
Regards,

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
Thanks ya i have no plan to run 27s, ill run 29s or 30s for sure, on your shock package are they putting longer shafts in a shorter bodied shock, i did notice the oem foxes have a long body compared to a short shaft. At first i had no intentions of increasing wheel travel just to get a better shock motion and wound up with both.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Your on the right track. Kind of a weird shock that is only capable of 7". Not sure how you will get 16" of overall travel without modifying it. Beyond that compare the stock XP900 shock to a real deal shock and the quality comes into question, JMO.

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
Definately agree there on the quality part, i am going to be running 10 inch stroke radflos front and rear

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
You must really be moving the mounts around. That's more shock than you need for 16" of travel. Do you have plans to limit the travel of those shocks?

jkonces

Dec 16, 2014
Not really it gets my shock angle around 58 degrees it was close to 5 up and 3 out each side, as well as 1 inch out on the arm, shock stroke is only 2.5 inches more, can run alot softer spring rate and take a lot of load off of the front suspension, easier on parts for sure

Reactions: tatum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000