XP1000 Tip Of The Day 7/1/14

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Well last time we took our 1000 to the mountains for some crawling ended up ramming a 4" dia. branch through the floor board and hit the wife's foot pretty hard. Luckily she didn't get hurt just spooked. Spooked me too, and it took a large hammer and both hands to get the piece out that was sticking through the floorboard.

So a full skid plate was in order. After a look around the Factory UTV set up looked like a winner so we order some up. They are super nice, adding full coverage to the foot well and better protection for the gas tank which looked vulnerable.

So here comes the tip.... You have to drill holes on the outer frame rail for the extra mounting points, imagine my surprise when I drilled through the frame and out came a bunch of water. This happened on both sides and it was a little concerning, (water sitting in a tube is never good.

Looks to me like the large holes in the frame used for mounting points allow the water to easily get in the tube and it has no way to get out. This probably won't be the only thing getting in. If your a duner I can see that they will fill up with sand pretty quickly. I remember modifying an old buggy which had holes drilled in the chassis for wiring etc. I had to cut a bar out of the chassis for a mod and when I did I dumped 20lbs of sand out of it. From that point forward I was never a fan of holes in the frame.

So the tip is to find every open hole on your chassis and plug them to keep the frame from being filled to the brim.
Mark

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
I got a good tip too. if you own a xp1000 make sure you wear a fire retardant suit! lol.. :)

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2
Or don't store gas in the bed with a cheesy container that leaks. Or drive a Terx, easy to jump out, even at top speed. LOL

GunnTeryx4

Feb 9, 2014
Escondido, CA.
Or don't store gas in the bed with a cheesy container that leaks. Or drive a Terx, easy to jump out, even at top speed. LOL
Good point, the xp1k is faster but I will still pass one up when they snap a belt every few miles. I had a friend that had a brand new XP1k and snap 3 point before he made it back to camp. Bhahaha lol

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Knock on wood! So far so good on our shop ride. Drove it hard at Dumont with paddles, Rock crawled in the local mountains. Have a few hundred miles on the original belt., This includes several Dyno runs while we were dialing in our intake kit. Actually up graded the clutch with a slight weight change, springs and the stronger spider gears and put the same belt back on. There are some tricks to keeping the belts on these things. Start it and let it warm up and after a good run let it idle and go through a fan cycle before you shut it off are probably the two most important things I have learned over the years. But yes I always carry a spare.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
It's all good!! Ran Team Green a lot back in the day. Quality machines. Played with T4's on the trail and they are a very capable machine. Been dunning for 30 years and still like to shred them, so the 1K fits the bill. Back when we were racing Rhino's I would have never imagined that the UTV Market would explode like it has. You can pretty much find a ride that fits your particular needs, riding style and price point.

Joey.. Talk Kawi into developing a hot rod UTV and I'm In!!!!
Mark

RWTDCT

Its an RZR Thing - La Familia
Jun 13, 2013
Central Coast, Ca. (Paso)
One thing I noticed at ROTR, Joey D's Tyrex did a hell of a job on Cliffhanger, I was surprised. Although My RZR did a hell of a job too.:D

To each his own - It's all about the fun.:eek:

SXSPerformance.com

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Nov 10, 2011
Ontario, CA
Knock on wood! So far so good on our shop ride. Drove it hard at Dumont with paddles, Rock crawled in the local mountains. Have a few hundred miles on the original belt., This includes several Dyno runs while we were dialing in our intake kit. Actually up graded the clutch with a slight weight change, springs and the stronger spider gears and put the same belt back on. There are some tricks to keeping the belts on these things. Start it and let it warm up and after a good run let it idle and go through a fan cycle before you shut it off are probably the two most important things I have learned over the years. But yes I always carry a spare.
We at SXS Performance could not agree more. Letting your car properly warm up and cool down before riding and shutting off is a key ingredient in keeping your motor happy. Other than the basic maintenance of course!

Happy Riding People!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000