Yamaha volntarily recalls 120,000 Rhinos

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Yamaha Motor Corp. U.S.A., of Cypress, Calif., is announcing a free repair program....

Yamaha’s repair includes the installation of a spacer on the rear wheels as well as the removal of the rear anti-sway bar to help reduce the chance of rollover and improve vehicle handling, and continued installation of half doors and additional passenger handholds where these features have not been previously installed to help keep occupants’ arms and legs inside the vehicle during a rollover and reduce injuries. Owners of the affected Rhinos should stop using them and call their dealer to schedule an appointment to have repairs made once they are available and to take advantage of a free helmet offer.

More details -> Yamaha Voluntarily Recalls 120,000 Rhinos

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
From what I read, it's not actually a recall.....Yamaha is working in cooperation with CPSC and it's a voluntary action on their behalf....not a big difference to some, perhaps. But there is a difference. It's just too bad people can't seem to drive within their capabilities......

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
From what I read, it's not actually a recall.....Yamaha is working in cooperation with CPSC and it's a voluntary action on their behalf....not a big difference to some, perhaps. But there is a difference. It's just too bad people can't seem to drive within their capabilities......
You are right. Yamaha is cooperating with the CPSC to do the repairs. But all the news reports are calling it a recall.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
I know, and it's unfortunate.......

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
So I wonder what Motoworld would do if I rolled(no pun) in with my sons racer for the spacer/door/sway bar upgrade?

You know we drove out wifes Rhino about 600 miles before the long travel, a 4 seat stocker, no spacers, no doors, w/ sway bar, and only got it up on two wheels cause I was trying to ride the bicycle, and still didnt drop it.

Rhino, the 3 wheeler of the UTV generation.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
allows for more body roll where the syab will limit it and actully help pull the other wheel off the ground......pretty weak if you ask me...curious about the wheel spacers and helmet???? Do I have to bring my Rhino is so they can put the Helmet on my head? LOL Thanks for the info CrowDog!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i hope the helmet is big enough. i know of a few bucket sized heads out there driving rhino's.

all because stupid people are allowed to reproduce. those people should have been scrambled by coat hanger and flushed down the toilet.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Important Information about 2004 - 2007 Rhinos

In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. will be offering certain free repairs for all Rhino 660 and Rhino 450 Side x Side (SxS) models.

This is not a recall. This is a voluntary repair program.

The CPSC says the following two repairs are needed “to help reduce the chance of rollover and improve vehicle handlingâ€ÂÂ:

Installation of a spacer on each of the rear wheels.
Removal of the rear anti-sway bar.
Repair parts meeting CPSC requirements will be available to be installed by your Yamaha dealer as quickly as possible. We will send dealers full repair instructions and will send a follow-up letter to all registered owners as soon as these parts are available.

You should not operate your Rhino 660 or 450 vehicle until it is modified with these repair parts. If you have not already done so, you should also have the free doors and additional passenger handhold installed on your Rhino.

Even though the CPSC did not include the Rhino 700 in its announcement, Yamaha is also voluntarily implementing the same free repairs. Please suspend use of the Rhino 700 until repairs are completed.

Yamaha stands firmly behind the Rhino SxS as a safe, reliable off-road vehicle. The Rhino is the best-selling SxS vehicle in the market and has been shown to be the best in its class, with many industry and press awards to its credit. Indeed, more than 99% of Rhinos sold to date are being enjoyed by enthusiastic owners without reported incidents.

Yamaha always advises the safe, responsible use of our products. As a reminder, Rhino users should always wear helmets and seatbelts, as well as follow all instructions and warnings in the on-product labels, owner’s manual, and other safety materials. The Rhino is only recommended for operators 16 and older with a valid driver’s license. Every passenger must be tall enough to place both feet on the floorboard with his or her back against the seat back.

If you need additional information about this repair campaign, please contact your Yamaha dealer. If you still have unanswered questions, please call Yamaha at 800-962-7926. You may also wish to go to the CPSC’s website at cpsc.gov or call their hotline at 800-638-2772.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Here is my latest blog entry:

Yamaha "repairs" the Rhino
As I am sure you have all seen on TV and all over the web during the last year, the personal injury lawyers have been all over the Yamaha Rhino.

Now word come out today that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Yamaha Motor Corp. is announcing a free repair program to address safety issues with all Rhino 450 and 660 model off-highway recreational vehicles.

How crazy is this world we live in and where is the personal responsibility in today's society?

And the "drama induced" media isn't helping either. They are slobbering all over that the Rhino was involved in 46 deaths. What about the fact that almost all Rhino customers are operating the machines without any report of incident?

This voluntary repair program is ultimately directed at the 0.04% who have had issues (and the majority of them weren’t wearing seat belts, helmets, etc.). Why should Yamaha be responsible for buying an owner a new helmet? It says right on the dash that riders should wear a helmet. If a rider choses not to, that isn't Yamaha's fault.

Whether you realize it or not, what this means to all of us consumers is more expensive UTVs, that are over-burdened with safety stickers and can't perform as well as they should because some nitwit doesn't know how to drive.

I can see it now. The CPSC is soon going to require everyone walking down a sidewalk to wear a helmet because we may trip over a curb. The United States is getting pathetic, and off-roaders better wake up and do something about it or we will have no where to ride, and nothing but a CARB approved lawn mower to ride on.

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
Nice Blog fo sho.

I still run my sway bar but I guess I will give it a try with out it. I have been reading a lot since this came out today about how much better they perform with out them.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
I have never taken my swaybar off.........no problems here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000