Yuma race report

joshsr1

Feb 4, 2013
Yuma race was so unorganized. Practice was suppose to be at 5-8 track wasn't ready. No order or announcements to let u know what's going on u just have to show up to staging sit in your car in 112 heat. Finally get on the track about 6 they let every car buggy or whatever in staging out at the same time. No water on the track just a big dust ball. Get about 3 laps they wave the flag. Got a total of 6 laps for $50 bucks. Saturday heat race was a little better once again u have to guess when to go upto staging and sit in your car at 3pm 112 again. Go out do my 6 laps car sliding everywhere and bucking off the jumps. Qualified 4 out of 12. Get new tires make suspension adjustments. Race time 10pm go to staging sit there 20 min in my car they start me on pole. We go out green flag drops Jason weller and Dustin go by me. Car feeling good track conditions are good cars hooking up suspension is feeling better in 3 place. Cory weller right behind me I see her on the inside a few turns and cut her line off. She's taking why different line every turn than me. Mind u my car is a desert car about 200 pounds heavier than all the short course cars. She can't get around for 5 laps. So what u know come around turn Jason weller stop right in my line she beside me I have no where to go. I go right off the track hit the water barrier breaks my wheel bends the whole right side of the car. Control arms upper lower bent the frame spindle. Than Jason takes off. The first place car goes off the track Cory weller wins. To me this was dirty racing. Fans said it was intentional. If his car was broken he Should got off the race line. He ended up sand bagging it and finished the race. Cory weller won.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I'll give Wellers benefit of the doubt. Cory is a member here, I am sure she will offer her side of the story. Definitely a bummer deal for your machine. Blocking can be a real bum deal when racing against teammates. Just ask anyone who's raced against the LeDuc's.

Reactions: 1 person

slickrick

May 2, 2011
Both Jason and Corey weller are class acts. Always willing to help and lend a hand to all racers. I'm sorry to hear about your and wish you the best of luck, and am sure it was unintentional

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Wow....I am not even sure how to respond to this one.

First of all, if I'm trying different lines to get around you, it's because I don't want to stuff you in a corner to get around - you were pretty squirrely out there, and part of racing is knowing when to find a safe place to pass a car that isn't holding a line.

Second, I'd have to watch a video to know for sure, but I don't remember even seeing Jason's SR1 when I passed you. I just know I got around you and never saw you again.

Jason got hit at some point, and wound up with a broken wheel bearing.....IF he was in the track when you say he was, it was probably after he just got hit and he was trying to get going again.

My daughter was spotting for both of us, so the only thing she was saying on the radio was "green green green" and "I think there is a yellow!".

It's more than a bit unproffesional to come onto a forum after your first race with an orgranization, complain about the way it's run, brag about your driving, and accuse drivers with a lot more experience and professionalism than you have of purposefully taking you out so someone else could win. Jason and I are the biggest competitors against each other there are out there.....neither of us would ever block for someone else to let the other win - to even think that is pretty rediculous if you know either of us at all.

Anyone who races us knows that what you are indirectly accusing Jason of is just dumb.

PS the track was great - excellent facility and the crew there was awesome. The fans were AMAZING!! I wasn't able to practice on Friday, so can't comment on that. Jason was busy working on alot of other people's UTVs helping get them ready to race, so no practice for him either. I want to thank Tim and the ASCC staff for giving us this race at Yuma, especially when right now we have barely any place in AZ to race!

13 SR1's - 2nd place, 3rd place and 4th place were in the money - it was a good night!! :)

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Trust me joshsr1, the Wellers are the worst bunch of racers there are. They are super competitive, clean, helpful, professional, support and race what they sell, plus Corry is easy on the eyes, I hate people like that...;)

Actually it sounds like you're new to short course, dont get discouraged, make some changes to your car and try it again, theres a Glen Helen Regional next month. Also, no one hates losing to Corry more than Jason, trust me.

As for the track, its new on the schedule so there might be some growing pains but give them a chance.

Corry, was talking to Kerry Sunday, glad to hear he's on board helping you guys with your Pro4 motor program, he's a solid guy and a great resource.

silvy423

Apr 26, 2011
Without video how can anybody rightfully take a side on this situation, I mean that is what this is right?

Oncefast

Oct 17, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
The Wellers are great people-period. If someone was blocking me early in a race I would put my nose in there Ricky Johnson style and take that position. Corry went out of her way to be patient when she didn't need to.

Last edited:

joshsr1

Feb 4, 2013
For one I'm not trashing anyone just voicing my opinion. I've proffessional road race with AMA for years. They run a tighter show I guess. They have groups go out at certain times. So u don't have to guess. I'm new to off road maybe you guys are use to that. I'm not. I will adjust

Second of all no one bragging about there driving. I've maybe drove my sr1 5x i suck. How many times have times have u drove yours?

I do give Jason the benefit of doubt he didn't do it on purpose after talking with a few people.

If you have video that would be great to see.

Looking forward to the next race!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
For one I'm not trashing anyone just voicing my opinion. I've proffessional road race with AMA for years. They run a tighter show I guess. They have groups go out at certain times. So u don't have to guess. I'm new to off road maybe you guys are use to that. I'm not. I will adjust

Second of all no one bragging about there driving. I've maybe drove my sr1 5x i suck. How many times have times have u drove yours?

I do give Jason the benefit of doubt he didn't do it on purpose after talking with a few people.

If you have video that would be great to see.

Looking forward to the next race!
Way to speak your mind!! Best of luck at the next round!!

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
I DON'T KNOW HOW THE ARIZONA REGIONALS ARE RAN, BUT BACK WHEN M4SX WAS RUNNING. EVERYONE KNEW WHEN THEY WERE UP & WERE LINED UP WHILE ANOTHER CLASS WAS RUNNING. KEN JOHNSON WAS THE MAN. I KNOW HE IS WITH LOORRS & THE SO CAL REGIONALS. I AM SURE THEY RUN PRETTY SMOOTH. YUMA HAS SOME GREAT FANS, SO I HOPE THEY HAVE MORE RACES. THEY NEED TO BE IN APRIL OR OCTOBER.
LIKE I SAID. THE WELLERS ARE A CLASS ACT .

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Way to start off your off-road racing! Trashing one of the best UTV racers out there, her husband (who created the very class of racing your involved) and on a forum who's members regard both the Weller's and their involvement in very high regard.

Wait until you meet Dan Kelly on the track! :eek:

Reactions: 1 person

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Way to start off your off-road racing! Trashing one of the best UTV racers out there, her husband (who created the very class of racing your involved) and on a forum who's members regard both the Weller's and their involvement in very high regard.

Wait until you meet Dan Kelly on the track! :eek:

LOL ! One of the best! LOL!

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I hate loosing to girls, and to top off the situation with Jason being ugly... I can see we're your coming from. I'd be pissed too.

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
As a side note, if I were a betting man, I would put more $ on Cory paying me to block her husband so she could get bye.

You have to understand these two give up their winning moneys to us if either of them land land in 1st 2nd or 3rd. They payed down to 4th place in the Weller SR1 class because Cory gave her winning to the 2nd place finisher.

With that all said, I'd still be pissed about loosing to a girl.

Adam Gruender

Apr 23, 2010
mesa, az
I race in the unlimited utv class and thouroughly enjoyed my race. I want to throw out a lot of thanks to weller racing for dialing me in at the track. After my race I watched the sr1 race there was some super talent driving out there! For the ones that where not patient the track hurt them. This was a great event and if you got over your head those moguls could kick you right off the track. Loved watching the sr1 main. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000