All UTV's Anyone have pics of frame damage that could have been prevented with gussets?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Yeah Rusty had a few....He moved the files i will send him a PM and have him psot them up for you. Gussets are a must!! Especially for the lower arms. In the front you have a lower pivot thats on the inside and it needs a triangle shaped gusset as well. I will see if I can get soem pics too.

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
I ripped the upper right a arm right out when it was still stock but didnt take any pics.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Anybody got some gussets that can prevent this?

Dang Dustin, now it makes sense (A post I read earlier from you) looks like Glamis claims another one. You ok? Tell the story when you get a chance. Also, theres a guy selling a complete chassis w/ running gear & a blown motor over on RD.

AzBdBy

Arizona Bad Boy - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Phoenix
metalrhino.com
Hey guys. Guess I don't have my settings right to get emails on replies. Working on that now. I already picked up a frame right after this happened. I straightened it all out with 30hrs worth of time and raced Wickenburg two weeks later. Getting ready to start the new chassis soon. So the story is:

I always camp in the washes at G. A bunch of us took off for Oldsmobile through the baby dunes. The small dunes are a blast on a dirt bike. We like to jump across the 1/4 bowls from one lip to the other is that makes any sense. Well I have done this a couple times in my Rhino in the past, but not one this big. So I am following my buddies who were on bikes and thought I can clear that one. Well I nailed it and had no problems clearing it, but the take off was such a severe angle that I was flying through the air in a twist. Needless to say I didn't land on all 4 wheels when I made it to the other side. It was just about on the drivers door when it hit front wheel first. When that front wheel came down it just dug in...then the fun began. Still not sure exactly which way I went, but looking at the marks in the sand and the yard sale of all my stuff I am pretty sure it was a double barrel roll with a twist :eek: My intercom headset, goggles and hat were like 20 yards past where the Rhino stopped. The G force from the rolls just sent it sailing. It twisted the entire front clip over toward the passenger side. Broke both the upper bars that come from the shock tower toward the dash. Shoved the front diff over a little. Almost split the battery box completly in half. I ended up sectioning the drivers frame rail out then welded some leverage to the front end and bent everything else back into position. The LSR arms, gear one rack, home built tie rods and HCR spindles took no damage at all.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Wow. Glad it was just frame damage, that looks like it could have been much worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000