BITD weight and teardown

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I forgot to mention our Pro class UTV average speed and finishing time versus class 2/1600 (BITD class 2000). The basic specs for 2/1600 are a 1600 cc air cooled push rod two valve VW engine, minimum of 1550 lbs, torsion bar suspension. The facts are that these rigs have approximately 9" of front wheel travel, 12" of rear wheel travel, make about 75 hp, will go maaaaaybe 80 mph down hill, with a tail wind and three people pushing. Yet they kick our azzes all day long when we have more travel, more power and 4wd. Why? Weight, anvel reliability, Tire O.D., wheelbase, and really, really good drivers. Something to think about before we consider changing the rules, 'to even the playing field.' I honestly think the playing field is pretty even. We had a new, first time winner at Parker, 2nd place went to a guy in his very first Pro Class race. Etc. Last year we had four different winners in six races. The points championship was decided by two points and seven points covered the top three (Kiger at 499, Murry 497 and 'class act' at 492). My two peso. :)

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
The Kroyer stuff is available, but the ECU remains an issue.

Short course and desert racing are apples and oranges. If people here think they are getting beat by horsepower then they are crazy. Bill Schueler, who spots most racers 100 lbs took a stock RZR 4...stock engine, stock suspension and even stock tires for half of the season and whooped 2/3rds of the field. Why, good driving! In 2011 I raced an 800 with 72 hp against three Commander 1000's and one XP 900 (plus one at the end of the year) and we did ok.

The Kroyer motor is certainly fun and has proven to be bulletproof, but horsepower will cause stress on other areas such as clutch, gearcase, CV's, axles, etc. Plus you just hit chit harder. Top speed between a stocker and our car is within 3 mph.

Plus if you think tech is hard now, try and police a 'stock parts' rule. Practice more, test more and don't build a pig. Leave well enough alone and let's go racing. :)
Well said Matt I couldn't agree more! BTW we missed you last weekend.....

megonzo

Jan 25, 2011
Cedar City, UT
OMFG, this is too funny.

Guys, Corry is just doing US a service. We are lucky to have a guy that cares so much to keep racing safe, and with some equality in mind.

We never had a problem pushing our two cars through tech. None. It did seem to me that there were a lot of cars that showed up last minute though. Is that a common practice? Waiting? Maybe a better way to do it is to go through tech asap...the sooner the better. It's hard to smile and laugh while making sure that all helmets are safe and ding free, race suits are safe, emergency kit, etc, etc...

And Geeezzz. Competition? Heck, Cory drives a Can Am;)! Comeonnow. <grin>

Both our cars went through tech w/out spares. Well, heck...does it really matter anyway?

RZR weighed 1500 lbs. and Can Am came in at (I wanna say)1900ish lbs.

Contest that. :D

Keep the Faith guys,

Jo

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So I called Kevin Kroyer today to get clarification on this whole motor thing. If someone calls and wants the same motor jagged or coastal or RJ runs then no problem. Write the check. ECUs ca. Be reflashed by multiple people including queen or benchmark. He currently does not reflash ECUs. Jagged has polaris reflash theirs. RJ runs motec. Anyone can buy a Motec. So that it's clear Jagged and coastal run motors available to anyone willing to pay for them.

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
I may be kind of old school, but back in the day we had to have an 1/8" hole drilled in the main roll cage tubes so tech could SEE the tubing thickness when ever they wanted. No scale or x ray machine needed.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
i was told 18k ................:eek:....and i dont believe that includes a stock motor
That...^^^is conjecture and inaccurate. A 1000cc KRE engine can be purchased for less than $10k. It is available to everyone. You supply your stock motor and they will build it for you and dyno test it. The price is without exhaust (most use Muzzy), without air filter (most use UMP) and you are responsible for the re-flash of the ECU. This is not simply a bore job, the engine has a new stroker crank new pistons, new cam, blah, blah, blah. It is a winning combination and has proven to be bulletproof!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
WOW!! The pot has been stired, I can assure you if Cory had come up with a real reason other than "for my personal data" Justin would have weighted our car, If Cory wasnt a competitor, Justin would have weighted our car....fact is Corys excuse was weak and he is building a new car....you do the math.

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
That...^^^is conjecture and inaccurate. A 1000cc KRE engine can be purchased for less than $10k. It is available to everyone. You supply your stock motor and they will build it for you and dyno test it. The price is without exhaust (most use Muzzy), without air filter (most use UMP) and you are responsible for the re-flash of the ECU. This is not simply a bore job, the engine has a new stroker crank new pistons, new cam, blah, blah, blah. It is a winning combination and has proven to be bulletproof!
And Matt i got my info on price from someone I know very well that called Kroyer first hand and that the number that was given. I have not called Kroyer first hand.

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Matt,
You mention it's more than a "bore job". Doesn't boring the cylinders take it over the 1000cc limit and therefore, against the rules?

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Im sure he will chime in but you can bore the motor upto 1000cc the 900 motor is only 900cc so you still have plenty of your for big bore kits...

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
actually crank is stroked and has cylinders bored a little. motor can only be bored i think 2 sizes bigger and the rest is stroked to get to 1000cc. motor would cost about 8-12 grand depending if your parts are any good.pretty much sure you would be buying new crank and head. all xp motors are expensive to build call any builder they will tell you.

poflo

Jan 3, 2011
And Matt i got my info on price from someone I know very well that called Kroyer first hand and that the number that was given. I have not called Kroyer first hand.
I agree.......Don't think you can get the motor AJ is running for 10 G......HOW did We get off the subject topic

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Lol this started out way different I think this has had three or four different topics... At least we kept the topic related to UTV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000