Can-Am Maverick TOUR (DEMO RIDES)

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Okay, here's my review. I went to Glamis today and took three demo rides in the Maverick. About a 2 mile loop following a quad. The Maverick does have plenty of power! I had a race rhino before this with a mostly stock engine, just K&n, exhaust, DynaTek ignition, and CVT mod. The rhino also had 14 inches of travel. The Mavericks in a hole nother ballpark! It was very exciting to drive and actually got my adrenaline going! I was mostly in 2 Wheel drive, but I tried 4 Wheel drive a couple of times. And I was mostly in sport mode, but I tried the sport mode off for about a minute, and it sucked! I put it in low range for a minute, and the sport mode is definitely off with it in low. I drove the base model, the next model up, and also one that had mohawks on the front and Sand tires unlimited blasters with staggered cut and they were shaved to make them lighter. I did not really like the feel of the one with the paddle tires. It did not steer very easy at all. And it also seem to want to steer to the left or right just little bit. Kind of darting back and forth. The ones with the stock tires steered very easy. I think I can see myself in this vehicle for the next five years or so. I did hear from someone out there that there's going to be three new side-by-side coming out next year. But they're all going to be 2014 models. For me, the perfect side-by-side would be the wildcat frame and suspension, but with a five or six inch shorter wheelbase, and a reliable motor with 150 hp. And a good turning radius. This is the closest to that yet. The XP frame is not strong enough in my humble opinion. And the wheelbase is definitely a little bit too short on XP also. The rear end on the Maverick was planted! Most side-by-side want to kick a little bit in the rear, but not this thing! I do all my own fabrication, including changing the valving on the shocks, and my initial impression is they got this thing perfect. Also I asked about the rear end and the front end being interchangeable with the commander. I was told that these are preproduction models, and the guys that are taking them out on the demo are not given information or the specs that are going to be on the production models. They did say that they think the front end is interchangeable with the commander. And Can Am rep also said that the rear end is larger than the commander with a larger ring in pinon and it is helical cut. I heard no whine out of the rear end. I also signed up for a 1 PM demo ride this Tuesday afternoon. I think I might go to that also so I can try it in the desert also, which is where I ride most the time.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN_OSzkETi4&sns=em"]Can Am Maverick - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8quW1mr6w&sns=em"]Can Am Maverick - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0epEqlUS8E&sns=em"]Can Am Maverick - YouTube[/ame]

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Took it for a ride at Firebird today. Best part was also ran the RZR XP900 just before the Can-Am on the same track, same conditions. We ran the same track LOORS uses. After riding both, my preference would be the XP (I'm a Teryx owner so I have no loyalty to either). The Cam-Am power is off the charts, but the vehicle feels heavy and is unpredictable to control. I ran in both "sport" mode and non-sport. In sport mode it feels like the clutch engages quicker, but it felt choppy. I actually like non-sport mode as the clutch felt more smooth. Over the jumps the rear tended to pogo, though not too bad. It really felt front heavy in the air, but the landings were smooth. Acceleration is no issue, the engine has pull, I just think they need to work on the clutch a little better to dial it in. Compared to the XP900, I like the feel of the XP as it was more predictable through the power band and the clutch was smooth. You could feather the throttle around corners and not have the rear end suddenly take off. The XP also felt more balanced over the jumps and the landings were pretty much the same. Both machines could use better shocks as they were pretty rough through a 2ft'ish whoop section. As far as comfort, the Cam-Am has better seats, better gauges and the I liked the layout, the XP feels more like a sandrail, whereas the Maverick was more "car'ish"...if Can-Am can dial the clutch in better and deal with the balance of the machine, they have a winner, however driving them side x side, and at this time, I'd buy an XP.

The Ranger XP900 was off the hook! Super fun work UTV! My dad is getting it and I can wait to mash it around the trails!

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
BUMP! Looking forward to Really checking this thing out, and seeing what it is capable of!

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
Anyone go on the Azusa Canyon tour? My friend went and said he was really impressed with the machine. He liked the interior being more like a car styling, way more power, and suspension was smooth. He is comparing it to his Rzr S and has yet to ride in an XP.

There is the one ride coming up this weekend so hopefully we hear more reviews soon. :)

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I wanted to go but it said display only? So I'm going Sunday to glen Helen.
It doesnt seem like they are keeping the website updated. They said dislay only on the ride I did too and I almost didnt go. I ended up get the correct info from UTVguide.net

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
the info they have listed is different then when you sign up. like the one i signed up for says pala raceway on the list but when you sign up it shows up as lake elsinore mx park.

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
We drove the Maverick during Thanksgiving at glamis. I am excited about more new vehicles in the SxS segment! The Maverick has some strong points for sure. My major gripe is the drive by wire throttle. Even in sport mode I thought it "responded" poorly. Benchmark will be trying to improve the throttle action by reflashing the ecu as soon as we can get our hands on a vehicle.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i forgot to sit in it at the super sandshow. and i missed the azusa canyon test ride due to rain. so i will try her out at glen helen this sat. hopefully i even fit in it. because my 6' 7"+ body ONLY fits in the teryx so far.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
i forgot to sit in it at the super sandshow. and i missed the azusa canyon test ride due to rain. so i will try her out at glen helen this sat. hopefully i even fit in it. because my 6' 7"+ body ONLY fits in the teryx so far.
im 6'5" and i fit comfortbly in it.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Well the demo course sucked. They had a race so we couldn't get on the track and they setup an area to just do some turns and stuff. Even though that sucks I had fun in it. Very fast and handled the turns good and was able to get the back end around to help steer with ease. It did seem to have some body roll and one guy rolled one when I was their. It seemed to hook up good and the steering felt ok to me even though I haven't spent hardly anytime in other sxs's. I talked to fox and they told me they tuned the suspension on the mavericks here in barstow so I am very anxious to get one and see how it does here! Just real bummed the test track was so lame.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000