Getting good at corners

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
Hey guys.

I was curious to see some tips from others on how they hit turns without flipping etc...I have a RZR xp 900 with sway bars on still. By no means do I waste my tires doing donuts or drifts, I want to use it to my advantage on the track.

Thanks in advance!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
depends on the dirt, turn, camber, and berm....
I agree, and the XP900 only has a rear sway bar, unless they added one to the 2012 model.
2. lower the ride height, it helps a bunch check out many short course cars and the stance they have.
3. in or out of 4wd makes a difference.
4. tire pressure and type makes a difference.
5. there is no absolute answer ;)

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
First post , welcome to the underground.Don't know if your new to the sport , but some drifting technical practice can help.

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
hey guys thanks for the quick response.....dirt is mostly more packed than loose. when it getd dry on the track sliding is very easy.

im gonna work on lowering it a bit to sag and get the right setting, guys are right that will probably help a lot.

what would be a comfortable tire pressure (stock tires no.beadslocks) to use on the tracks? again pretty hard packed. I never use 4x4 on the track unless someone else advices that i should use it!

what kinda technical practice you guys recomend?

btw i want to sign up for the LEGP november, i want ti do it today to save but am i going to run the super stock class and who else is goin? :)

ps thanks i appreciate the help !!

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
the thing about off road racing is you never know what will happen for sure. you might hit a turn perfect for a dozen times and just when you think you have it you hook a rut and your up on two wheels. :eek: just plan on it! Like was previously stated, lower the chassis and practice!

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
lol @ tyler ya I know what you mean haha.

Thanks for those little tips guys. Tuesday morning I will head to millestone mx and try that out a little bit. Im just worried of this sucker getting tipped and not having enough practice to avoid it

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
on tighter tracks 4x4 will help pull you out of the turns, but the approach and in turn decisions are different than in 2wd where you would "back it in" more.
LEGP I would prob run 2wd, but then again I would have to see the track, if jumps are involved then 4x4 helps there also, in case you start to endo, the front wheels will pull you out when you gas it.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I always race in 4wd,It accelerates harder out of the corners and will spread the load around and help your driveline parts.The LEGP has some pavement so depending on how much the strategy might change.
I usually am breaking very hard coming up to the turn,especially on a tight turn.You dont want to have someone out break you and make a pass.
I also agree with Rog about lowering the ride height.
You are going to have to run atleast 14 psi if you dont have beadlocks or you will be rolling the bead off of the wheel.
Good luck and get out and practice.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Keep in mind that sometimes it is good to give it gas in the corner if you feel like you are sliding sideways. When you are on the gas (especially 2wd) the rear of the car will "unload" if the tires can spin and this will help keep you from "hooking a groove" and flipping. If you watch some of the Lucas oil race videos you will find that whenever a truck, utv, buggy, etc gets in a hairy corner situation that could result in a rollover, they are almost always on the gas 100% until they are no longer spinning or sliding sideways. It takes a while to get used to but once you get the feel for it, you will know when to let off and and when to gas it. Remember, if you are in a corner and feel like you are too hot, be cautious about using the breaks as this can transfer more weight and cause the car to roll.

On pavement and in 4wd the car may tend to lean in a corner if you don't have the power to spin the tires. The red car is in 4wd and my white one is 2wd and is spinning the tires in this photo. Notice the back end of my car coming around? Even though I was in 2wd and the red car in 4wd, I was able to pull away through this turn. The only way to know is to learn your car. We often feel faster in 2wd but are truly faster in 4wd.

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
Will test out tomorrow with all the tips and post pics and hopefully vids. I just got my Go Pro setup.

But you do recommend 4wd for a tight pack track?

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
A lot of the advice came in handy out there. I was significantly faster. Thanks for the help guys. I kept in 2wd in the fear of damaging something in a silly practice. I felt very fast still without it coming outa corners. Some it woulda been handy.

Posting Pics and videos in a separate thread.

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
hey guys thanks for the quick response.....dirt is mostly more packed than loose. when it getd dry on the track sliding is very easy.

im gonna work on lowering it a bit to sag and get the right setting, guys are right that will probably help a lot.

what would be a comfortable tire pressure (stock tires no.beadslocks) to use on the tracks? again pretty hard packed. I never use 4x4 on the track unless someone else advices that i should use it!

what kinda technical practice you guys recomend?

btw i want to sign up for the LEGP november, i want ti do it today to save but am i going to run the super stock class and who else is goin? :)

ps thanks i appreciate the help !!
I will be there Racing the LEGP 2011 and I raced last year. The course is pretty easy and nothing different from the desert.

Summers brothers racing is giving a set of axels away to the first place finisher and the XP has a chance!!

Hope to see you in Lake Elsinore RACING!!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000