• XP with cage

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • other

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
so i sold my Rhino and infamous RZR1 and i am on the fence watching what the future brings us with new UTV's.

so i am considering an XP4 (if and when they make it, or just build it myself) so the whole family can ride together or a regular XP and a stock Rhino for the wife and desert trips.

what ever i buy i will be driving it like i stole it as usual and will build a cage and at least revalve the shocks if not replace them.

my questions are more based around length more than horse power i can always add a turbo.

1. who has alot of seat time in both the RZR-S and the RZR-4?

2. does the length of the 4 make it push in turns when driving agressivly?

3. does the added length of the 4 make it any better through deep woops?

4. does the frame of the 4 seem to flex when beating on it?

5. can i air out a 4 like a standard S?

6. what is the real weight difference between the S and the 4?

feel free to add any of you observations between the two you think i should consider.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
My observations below!

so i sold my Rhino and infamous RZR1 and i am on the fence watching what the future brings us with new UTV's.

so i am considering an XP4 (if and when they make it, or just build it myself) so the whole family can ride together or a regular XP and a stock Rhino for the wife and desert trips.

what ever i buy i will be driving it like i stole it as usual and will build a cage and at least revalve the shocks if not replace them.

my questions are more based around length more than horse power i can always add a turbo.

1. who has alot of seat time in both the RZR-S and the RZR-4?
ME

2. does the length of the 4 make it push in turns when driving agressivly?
Not at all

3. does the added length of the 4 make it any better through deep woops?
Way better

4. does the frame of the 4 seem to flex when beating on it?
Not that I can tell

5. can i air out a 4 like a standard S?
I don't know...can you? :D

6. what is the real weight difference between the S and the 4?
I think around 150 lbs, but remember a RZR 4 weighs less than a Terex and a Canned Ham.

The upshot is...really fun in the desert, but more of a challenge to drive in dunes compared to a RZR S.

feel free to add any of you observations between the two you think i should consider.

Badbinder77

Side X Side Nation
Mar 3, 2010
Elko Nv
I'm in the same boat, sold my rhino and not sure what to replace it with yet. I'm not doing anything till I see the Teryx 4 first. I do believe I will by a factory 4 seater this go around instead of converting for safety and comfort.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
RZR4's are awesome imho. They ride smoother, definately better in the bumps, and really close in overall speed. If carrying passengers is a priority, there honestly is no other choice. .02
Mike

BTW, I don't want to offend anyone at all, but I feel compelled to ask this question....what is with all the excitement over a potential Teryx 4seater? I'm asking because I've had a Teryx and a couple RZRS's and I honestly see zero comparison. I liked my Teryx, it was fun to buzz around in, but honestly not even remotely close regarding speed and handling off road...not to even mention an XP. Once again, I'm honestly curious...mostly because I just don't understand I suppose. Are people just Kawasaki "die hards"?

(BTW, this is Mike...I race with Jagged but have ZERO ties with Polaris, so I'm truly asking this as an honest question)

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
RZR4's are awesome imho. They ride smoother, definately better in the bumps, and really close in overall speed. If carrying passengers is a priority, there honestly is no other choice. .02
Mike

BTW, I don't want to offend anyone at all, but I feel compelled to ask this question....what is with all the excitement over a potential Teryx 4seater? I'm asking because I've had a Teryx and a couple RZRS's and I honestly see zero comparison. I liked my Teryx, it was fun to buzz around in, but honestly not even remotely close regarding speed and handling off road...not to even mention an XP. Once again, I'm honestly curious...mostly because I just don't understand I suppose. Are people just Kawasaki "die hards"?

(BTW, this is Mike...I race with Jagged but have ZERO ties with Polaris, so I'm truly asking this as an honest question)
I think that is a fair question. I had a teryx that I really liked, but went to a rzr4 to accomodate family. I've been much happier with my rzr4; performance, reliability and comfort. The teryx had really good power, but just not a rzr4......If I was going back to a 2-seater, hands down an XP900!!

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ANY TYPE RZR. I HAVE HOWEVER BEEN IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF A MODIFIED RZR, RZR S & RZR 4. THE RZR 4 WAS VERY COMFORTABLE & VERY FAST. I ENJOYED IT VERY MUCH. THE MODIFIED RZR WAS FAST & WAS SMOOTH OVER WHOOPS. THE RZR S WAS MY FAVORITE, PLENTY OF SPEED, CLIMBED WELL & A SMOOTH RIDE. THE 2 THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT ALL 3 WERE THE STOCK SEATS & HOW CLOSE I WAS TO THE DRIVER. I HAVE A RHINO WITH JET TRIM SEATS SO I AM USED TO NICE SEATS & ROOM FOR MY ARMS. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN AN XP SO I CAN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT EXCEPT WHAT I HAVE WITNESSED IS IT IS AN AWESOME MACHINE. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN AN ARCTIC CAT OR TERYX. WE SET IN A COMMANDER & IT WAS THE MOST COMFORTABLE SIDEXSIDE I HAVE EVER SET IN. I HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ONE BUT I HAVE HEARD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THEM. IF I WERE TO BUY A NEW SIDEXSIDE I WOULD CHOOSE A RZR S. IF I HAD KIDS I WOULD CHOOSE A RZR 4.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I have seat time in both...here is my opinions...

If you have a family and want to all mob in one UTV and do it in a sporty fashion then today the RZR4 is the only choice you have. Some call it the short bus, but I can tell you right now that the RZR4 is as capable a duner as any UTV. Sure it wont be as quick as a RZRs or XP when ripping the dunes but there aren't many lines I can't take that the others do. I love the RZR4 and its suspension. It works amazing right out of the box and being that fox makes aftermarket tuning options for the podium shocks you should never need to replace them.

In my mind a RZR4 XP900 would be the ultimate UTV. You have wheel base, industry leading power, and enough room to haul the entire family. I absolutly love my RZR4, heck this weekend in Tennessee I was taking it up hills that guys in their RZR-S did not want to charge up!!! lol

As for the coming of the Teryx4? Well I look forward to seeing its rumored release. Kawi is all about quality and while I wouldn't expect them to do anything too crazy power wise you know they will provide an awesome platform for which to build upon.

The only knock I give the Polaris RZR product line is its narrow seating arrangement. 2 dudes in a RZR still just don't look right. The XP corrected this a little but I hate rubbing shoulders with another dude when riding. However the trade off is you have a nimble and low center of gravity which no other UTV can match.

Decisions decisions. Either way you can't go wrong. Lots of good stuff out there and coming down the line......

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
We saw two dudes in a Kia Sportage with their shirts off on the Frazier Park ride last weekend, on a trail that was kinda crazy to be driving a Kia on........that's not right...

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
So I guess you don't get humor? Well you still didn't give any info and if you can read, I gave a great opinion! You have to post more about your needs if you want us to make YOUR decision for you! Opinions are like b-holes everyone has one and most stink when it comes to your choice! Joeyd said the same thing I did with a lot more words! But what the H E Double Hockey sticks do we know what you need or like? If you road with us on a regular bases we might have a clue, but your pole means less than nothing, and we were just trying to help! This is my home site and I wont be moving on anytime soon! :eek::rolleyes::cool:

If you would have read my first post you would understand i was looking for real world experiance with long wheelbase to short wheelbase. I was using the rzr as an expample since it comes in S for and 4 seat form.

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
The Kawi versus gaylaris will go on and on. Some say the kawi frames are made way stronger. I own 08 teryx's their is no way I am gonna spend double what a teryx cost for the XP. The teryx has NEVER failed me, it has always gotten me back to camp. Yes the xp is faster, However like any vehicle and I am not picking on the XP. I think when people start pushing that horsepower those axles , cv's and other stuff is gonna start causing trouble. Not to mention the frames, trailing arms etc... After having two 08 teryx's, I would pick the teryx 4 if it comes out...however this is a ford chevy thing.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Dah! We still need to know how it will be used, driving style, family size, and even loads you expect to carry! Your first post most of the info, if not all can be found on the Polaris Site, but we were trying to get you to understand that your choice should be yours based on your own needs as Joeyd said "They are almost the same yata yata yata!" But if you will always have three or more they aren't the same! The 4 is a very capable machine that has followed me everywhere I have lead! If you're a single rider or maybe two of you then you can't beat the XP or S as they are little Trophy Trucks and a kick! The only thing a 4 off the floor needs is the 900 motor and 2" inch lift, but it still boils down to what YOU want!

You still dont get it. I am asking about wheelbase not the machine itself. I used the rzrs and rzr4 because they are basically the same machine.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
.However like any vehicle and I am not picking on the XP. I think when people start pushing that horsepower those axles , cv's and other stuff is gonna start causing trouble. Not to mention the frames, trailing arms etc....
Yea, I didn't even mention the XP because there is honestly zero comparison imho...sort of like comparing a Geiser truck with a Raptor...definately not apples to apples at all. I can tell you that we have over one year of abuse on XP's without any major issues btw. Believe me when I say they have been tested, tested, and retested in very abusive ways!!!:eek::D:eek:
Anyway, so your basis for preferring the Teryx is "reliablity"??? Curious as to why you think Polaris is less reliable? My personal experiences have been that neither of my RZR's ever had an issue, but I DID blow a Teryx motor due to their inherent blow-by issue. I know they're both proven to be reliable, just wondering what you base your thoughts on?

OffRoadfixation

May 23, 2011
Bakersfield
I have a rzrS if you can call it that anymore. But my dad has the 4 and it too is very well built. It still hauls ass but the back seat is pretty rough for any adult or larger than a small kid. Highly recommend trashing the factory seat belts either way. Had an accident last month where the rzr4 bottomed out and launched my wife straight up out of the back seat an hit her head on the cage. No helmet on and she had about a 2 minute seizure. But it was determined it was caused by the seat belt not locking up on impact. Other than that, nothing bad to say about it

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Yea, I didn't even mention the XP because there is honestly zero comparison imho...sort of like comparing a Geiser truck with a Raptor...definately not apples to apples at all. I can tell you that we have over one year of abuse on XP's without any major issues btw. Believe me when I say they have been tested, tested, and retested in very abusive ways!!!:eek::D:eek:
Anyway, so your basis for preferring the Teryx is "reliablity"??? Curious as to why you think Polaris is less reliable? My personal experiences have been that neither of my RZR's ever had an issue, but I DID blow a Teryx motor due to their inherent blow-by issue. I know they're both proven to be reliable, just wondering what you base your thoughts on?

I will be honest and say my bias is most likely not really correct. I prefer the teryx because that is what I have. I dislike razors only from the standpoint I am tired of seeing so many of them and also the old joke of a broke back side by side. Now I also scan the RZR forums and see many threads about problems from frames bending to the XP's having axlel issues etc.... Of course some jealousy plays a part in the view thru my beer goggles....LOL

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000