All UTV's Looking to buy a different UTV

Tbbarber

Jul 20, 2012
Roy, Utah
I have a 2007 rhino 660. Looking to go to something a little different. I've been looking into used commanders, which are at the top of my price range (around $12k) or a teryx. What is your guys thoughts on both these machines? I do mainly trail riding, some rock crawling and one or two trips to the dunes per year. Looking for something with some good engine braking. I use a polaris ranger for work and don't like how the clutch seems to just let go wen going down hill.
I also will be putting a backseat in what ever I get. But do not wish to purchase a real 4 seat machine just yet.
Thanks

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
If you're looking to put a back seat in your new car I would look at the Teryx. Between the commander and the Teryx there will be a lot more room in the Teryx for the people in the back seat. Both machines are built well and will do what you need to do in your type of riding.

Tbbarber

Jul 20, 2012
Roy, Utah
I have two kids that will be riding in the back. A 5 year old and a 1 year old. Their feet do not even come close to touching the ground. So I'm not quite sure room is an issue at the moment. The thing i like about the commander is the big motor to get the tires spinning to get me out of whatever I'm in.

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
Between those 2 units (Teryx vs Commander) the Commander is the better choice IMO. More HP, better engine braking, more ergonomic cockpit, and the removable storage divider in the bed makes for some great leg room for rear occupants once a 4-seat cage system and seat is installed. I would be willing to bet that the Commander would have better resale value as well once you are finished with it.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Between those 2 units (Teryx vs Commander) the Commander is the better choice IMO. More HP, better engine braking, more ergonomic cockpit, and the removable storage divider in the bed makes for some great leg room for rear occupants once a 4-seat cage system and seat is installed. I would be willing to bet that the Commander would have better resale value as well once you are finished with it.
X2

The commanders are very nice machines now that i sold my rex i keep leaning towards the commander as my next sxs.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
X2

The commanders are very nice machines now that i sold my rex i keep leaning towards the commander as my next sxs.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Dave, just make sure that if you get a commander that you don't forget your roots! :D We still like riding with ya!

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
If you're going to be doing lots of crawling I hate to see you write off the T4. We benefit frequently from Short Bus' extra length. It comfortably climbs things that two seaters are pretty tippy on. The weight distribution is really nice and you still have the bed to put your beer & lunch in, lets face it, what's important? I'm not trying to change your mind at all, just glad to see your getting a new rod:)

Tbbarber

Jul 20, 2012
Roy, Utah
I do like the idea of having a real 4 seater. I worry it may be too big for my kind of riding. I better get some time behind the wheel of my moms T4 to help me decide. But I can't get over the 85HP of the commander 1000.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
T4 sounds like it fits the bill for you. You can't beat the amount of machine for the money. HP should only be a big decider for you if all you do is dunes. Trails and crawling are all about low end torque and driving skills. The T4 from what I have read, is perfect for this kinda riding. Just my opinion

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
T4 sounds like it fits the bill for you. You can't beat the amount of machine for the money. HP should only be a big decider for you if all you do is dunes. Trails and crawling are all about low end torque and driving skills. The T4 from what I have read, is perfect for this kinda riding. Just my opinion
X2 The Short Bus is basically a tractor which is only really good for two things, being a tractor and crawling. once we're down to packing only 2 kids there will likely be a RZR4 or T4 in the stall.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
I am sure you are up on it, but you do know about the law that may go into effect Jan 1, 2012 about not being able to use added rear aftermarket seats? That means if you are outside of California you might get a killer deal on a used four seater like a Commander in California that someone with a family can no longer use with the family.

Engine breaking is great on the Commander, i mean really great with the stock clutch. But the very low crawl speed can be a little jumpy until you get moving about 5 MPH. You can get a CVT Airdam primary clutch to get a super slow smooth crawl speed but I have been having problems getting the engine breaking back like stock with the Airdam clutch. But as I understand others with the same clutch have got it to work like stock. Just have yet to mess with it more.

Also there is rumors that Can Am may have a 4 seater as soon as the end of the year but just rumors.

Don't know anything about other makes.

Tbbarber

Jul 20, 2012
Roy, Utah
Ya I've been thinking the same thing. If the law passes, I see lots of machines in California going up for sale. And if can am does release a 4 seater. I think tons of people with sell there 2 seaters to get one. I keep telling myself to wait. But it impatient I guess. Ha ha

Tbbarber

Jul 20, 2012
Roy, Utah
Well guys I found my new machine. Picked it up last week. A 2009 teryx sport. Has an 840 big bore kit along with some other goodies. Going to start on the new cage soon. Anyone looking for a great 660 rhino I have one for sale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000