LOORRS Firebird. My blog.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
The winners. Tyler Herzog & Chad George, Class champs! Good job guys.

The Losers. The rest of us. ;)

The Cheaters. Ryan Beat went 4 seconds a lap faster than everyone during the qualifier on Friday but by Saturday Doug Mittag & Code figured it out with Doug setting best lap & speed for the weekend. LOORRS said they were going to start looking inside the engines next year if they suspected cheating, I guess next year came on Saturday as Ryan, Doug, and Code all had to pull their valve covers so the LOORRS staff could measure the cam shafts …….I said it before and Ill say it again, I feel no one is cheating and I hope that settles the cheater questions, ok?

The Whiner. Me. LOORRS informed all they will apply seal tags to the SR1 class engine blocks (no pre inspection, basically it’s done on the honor system) for next year but altering the STOCK cam timing would be legal. I was on fence at first but now disagree with this move. I feel they should all be left stock with external mods only, no mods to the internals. I know it’s harder to police but the whole concept behind this class was stock motors with bolt-ons so the focus could be placed on driving ability and chassis set up. This move opens the door to more internal mods (just wait), which means more dollars to get those mods, and ultimately lower reliability, bad news for everyone. I say leave the internals stock.

BTW. If LOORRS suspects cheating next year there will most likely be no pit inspection, they will just ask for your engine, they will tear it down (at a shop of their choice) for inspection, and ship the box of parts back to you….all at your expense. Still want to change cam timing?

Also, Dougs best lap speed was 87+ mph….87mph. That on an average right? That means that car was most likely over 100mph at some point on the track, and his best lap time was 2.3 seconds slower than Pro 2 winner Rob Mac, that would put him ahead of 8th in all of Pro 2 based on best lap alone…do these 1400lb short wheel base race cars really need any more horse power? Leave the motors stock, learn how to drive, and grab another gear if you need more speed.

The protest. I wish protest’s were handled the way it is in MX, look up my last blog to see how I lay it out if you’re really interested.

The Lost. With the end of this season Gary Thompson is throwing in the towel. We’ve raced against Gary for three years going back to M4SX at Elsinore racing Super Stocks. He’s been a good friend and great competitor. I’m going to miss him in the pits.

The found. The Kawasaki…ZR1…ZXR10…S1RX10Z??? Whatever it’s going to be called its coming.

The idiot, me again. After having to pull valve covers on Saturday I forgot tighten up Codes throttle cable before Sundays cup race so it came off on the parade lap. HUGE THANKS TO FUNCO, one of their guys zip tied it into place and he went back out a lap down. At least he had fun….right? Good one dad.

The drove his ass off award. Non UTV but I gotta say….Geoff Cooley. Geoff is the son of John Cooley, owner of Alumicraft. After a so so season in Limited Buggy Geoff drove his ass off during the cup race on Sunday and after leading most of the race finished in second place and made a cool $2000.00. Good job Geoff.

Going the distance. After some quick math we…….drove appx. 5500 miles, spent 4.5 days behind the wheel doing so, consumed 530 gallons of diesel at an average of $3.40 per gallon = $1802, and we missed the first round in Vegas. Was it worth it? Hell yes. Life in the pits is a good life and we truly enjoy it.

The love. Weller Racing, enough said.
Fox Shox, Fox Shox, and Fox Shox, Lone Star suspension, Cognito spindles, Streamline Performance Brakes, SFI Fabrication, Black Rhino Performance, DWT Wheels, ITP Tires, Gear One, Motoworld of El Cajon, Makita power Tools, Troy Patterson, Tyree Motorsports, SDHQ-chassis, JoeyD & UTVunderground, Deviate Films, and Lucas Oil for the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series.

And to all the teams we shared parts with in the pits, thanks.

It’s been fun and we’ll see everyone in three months.

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Great Blog Doug! I think I need ot create your own section for this cause I love your write ups! I want to say huge props to you, your wife, and Code. You 3 really exemplify what it means to be a family race team. Sure most racing are families but you three really hold it down.

Also, in front of everyone I owe you , Code, and your patient wife a huge apology for not helping get Code a good write up for a sponsorship proposal. I dropped the ball and learned a lot this year on me making commitments that I cannot keep. For that I apologize and thank you guys a ton for still hanging onto those UTVUnderground decals! You guys are amazing supporters, have been since day 1, and I do not forget and will not ever forget how much loyalty you have shown.

Thank you Doug, Congrats to one of our favorite Team Drivers Code Rahders on a fantastic season of racing, and I cannot wait to get out there and support you all again next year!!!!

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Nice write up Doug! You guys did a heck of a job this season! Code is really learning how to drive that thing!

My opinion on the whole motor thing is to leave it stock as well! Nothing can change on the inside! simple as that.. if they allow changing cam timing etc, it will be something else... and it will loose the whole purpose the class started. The cars are capable of plenty of speed how they sit, especially with such a short wheel base. They are hard enough to control as it is.

I heard LOORRS is already giving us a handicap by over watering the track before we go out to keep our lap times below the Pro Lites and Pro Buggies, because without a muddy track, we are putting down the same, if not faster lap times. The fastest lap time in Prolite was 45.416 at 87.194 mph, and Doug put down a 45.384 at 87.255 mph on Saturday.

Not sure if that is legit, but supposedly it came from an official. So why make them any faster, if they just want to slow them down?

And the speeds from Mylaps may not be accurate as far as real MPH, but everyones speeds are going to be off the same amount, so we can compare between the classes using those numbers.

It was a great season, and i am looking forward to some down time! Its amazing how much time and effort go into running an entire season, and my hats off to all the competitors out there that made a complete season!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Nice write up Doug! You guys did a heck of a job this season! Code is really learning how to drive that thing!

My opinion on the whole motor thing is to leave it stock as well! Nothing can change on the inside! simple as that.. if they allow changing cam timing etc, it will be something else... and it will loose the whole purpose the class started. The cars are capable of plenty of speed how they sit, especially with such a short wheel base. They are hard enough to control as it is.

I heard LOORRS is already giving us a handicap by over watering the track before we go out to keep our lap times below the Pro Lites and Pro Buggies, because without a muddy track, we are putting down the same, if not faster lap times. The fastest lap time in Prolite was 45.416 at 87.194 mph, and Doug put down a 45.384 at 87.255 mph on Saturday.

Not sure if that is legit, but supposedly it came from an official. So why make them any faster, if they just want to slow them down?

And the speeds from Mylaps may not be accurate as far as real MPH, but everyones speeds are going to be off the same amount, so we can compare between the classes using those numbers.

It was a great season, and i am looking forward to some down time! Its amazing how much time and effort go into running an entire season, and my hats off to all the competitors out there that made a complete season!
the only thing to compare are the lap times, not speed.

check last years tracks and times and compare, the mph this year is all over the place at most of the tracks. heck the single buggies were doing over 80 mph on this track? lol this is why I mentioned it to Ken on RDC, the mph is way off.

MC@ Performance Fab

Jun 8, 2010
If you really want to keep the cost down and the engines alike why not run a stock ECU with no aftermarket electronic goodies. Most dwarf cars run stock and the two cars that won championships in San Diego this past season used stock ECUs. If someone really wants to spend to try to get a edge that is the area that can add up the most quickly. Easily more then the basic motors. Also a simple thing the mini sprints have is a compression rule, very easy to check.

So are the Kawsakis on for next year?

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Great Blog Doug! I think I need ot create your own section for this cause I love your write ups!!!!!
My own section?? my head is swelling up already...;)

Doug as FYI, Ken had posted on RDC that Lucas hadnt calculated the length of the track for My Laps timing so the MPH speeds were not accurate. Just FYI....
Whew, Im glad....I think.

rbr

Ryan Beat Monster Energy/Kawasaki & Osborn Racing
Mar 8, 2010
Southern California
To end all doubts or concerns about me cheating....I am willing to offer my complete car to drive or pull my motor out at anytime from now until the end of next season if I am still even driving in that class next season, but the offer still stands if and when Brian Osborn gets in the car also....... : ) feel free to come ask.... but know you reck you buy haha
Happy Holidays everyone !! and congrats to the champs they deserved it!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
To end all doubts or concerns about me cheating....I am willing to offer my complete car to drive or pull my motor out at anytime from now until the end of next season if I am still even driving in that class next season, but the offer still stands if and when Brian Osborn gets in the car also....... : ) feel free to come ask.... but know you reck you buy haha
Happy Holidays everyone !! and congrats to the champs they deserved it!
hell yeah, they are just stunned at the new guy kicking their butts! lol

I told everyone you have the best handling/balanced car around, and your driving it awesome Ryan. :D

haters, hahahahaha

Rog
(HRT motorsports helper)

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
hell yeah, they are just stunned at the new guy kicking their butts! lol

I told everyone you have the best handling/balanced car around, and your driving it awesome Ryan. :D

haters, hahahahaha

Rog
(HRT motorsports helper)

Hey Rog,

I think you are right, its the entire package that makes it work. Promoters, Sponsors, Spectators, Crew, Vehicle, Driver.

When I started looking into where Bryan could go when he gets to old for the Modified Karts Ryan Beat suggested the new SR1 class (thank you Weller Racing). Ryan had already been coaching and training Bryan for months and his driving skills were improving drastically.

Earlier this year Ryan was driving one of our modified karts to help in the training and I could not believe the lap times he was turning from the first time in the kart. I thought, man this kid has talent.

Then a great opportunity came along, HRT was selling the Flying Banana. I figured if I could buy the best Rhino out there and pay the most talented kid I know to drive it, we would have a winning package. I think it is working.

So again, thank you Rog, Todd (and family), Corry and Jason Weller, fellow racers, our crew, our sponsors, Ryan Beat the driver, trainer, spotter and coach.

PS, thank you Doug for starting this Blog and I cant wait until you have your own section on UTVunderground.:D

motogary2

The Blue Bomber - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 14, 2009
riverside ca
The Lost. With the end of this season Gary Thompson is throwing in the towel. We’ve raced against Gary for three years going back to M4SX at Elsinore racing Super Stocks. He’s been a good friend and great competitor. I’m going to miss him in the pits.
im not throwimg in the towl per say i just not going to be at the luca traveling series i will race the local stuff still

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Nice write up Doug! You guys did a heck of a job this season! Code is really learning how to drive that thing!!
Thanks Greg, I think its safe to say he really liked Firebird.

I love conspiracy theories, I have a really good one from this weekend but it's way too juicy for this place.

To end all doubts or concerns about me cheating....I am willing to offer my complete car to drive or pull my motor out at anytime (at your expense) from now until the end of next season...
Fixed it. :D

Actually, wasnt it LOORRS that accused the top three of cheating???

Ryan, everyone that has been silently accused of cheating Ive walked up to and asked to their face "Are or did you bla bla bla" this serves two purposes. 1. I get to read body language in the response, 2. It lets people know what others are saying about them. Professional courtesy so to speak.

I think its safe to say I do my best to talk with everyone at every race and only one person wondered if there might be something going on because of your quali lap times, a valid concern IMO.

Most people don't do their homework so I educated them as to who Ryan Beat is, his background, and how it influences his approach and line choice.
I dont know if young Osborne is listening to your coaching but he should be, the kids in SR1 sure are.;) and for the fourth time, no one is cheating...

PS, thank you Doug for starting this Blog and I cant wait until you have your own section on UTVunderground.:D
Thanks Kenny, I wasnt going to at first but I think Im changing my mind, that is if Joey will still have me...

The Lost.....
im not throwimg in the towl per say i just not going to be at the luca traveling series i will race the local stuff still
Your right Gary, I should have said something more like....
The Lost. With the end of this season were losing Gary Thompson from the Lucas series to the Regionals. We’ve raced against Gary for three years going back to M4SX at Elsinore racing Super Stocks. He’s been a good friend and great competitor. I’m going to miss him (and my drinking buddy;) )in the pits

My apologies Gary, I should have worded that better.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Doug you are what UTVUnderground is all about and you will have your own Blog Section so that you can continue to raise peoples blood pressures and thinking! hahahah Just dont think that option 5 would fly to well! hahahah

I am ready when you are!

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Doug you are what UTVUnderground is all about and you will have your own Blog Section so that you can continue to raise peoples blood pressures and thinking! hahahah Just dont think that option 5 would fly to well! hahahah

I am ready when you are!
Prolly right.

Ryan, everything I said about you was intended as a compliment, your speed is good for the class, PM sent.

Enough of this nonsense, Ive got 13 people coming to town from Minnesota today that we have to meet at Lindburgh. My nephew graduates from Marine boot tomorrow and half are hanging around the X-Mas so Im off the web for awhile......

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
Prolly right.

Ryan, everything I said about you was intended as a compliment, your speed is good for the class, PM sent.

Enough of this nonsense, Ive got 13 people coming to town from Minnesota today that we have to meet at Lindburgh. My nephew graduates from Marine boot tomorrow and half are hanging around the X-Mas so Im off the web for awhile......
MERRY CHRISTMAS DOUG, TO YOU TAMMIE & CODE. HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON & ENJOY YOUR FAMILY.CONGRATS TO THE MARINE GRAD.

Cheek

Texas Crazy Horse - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 25, 2009
Buffalo,Tx
plain an simple when u r fast people hate u! when u r slow ya got lots of friends!! fast is always better!:D

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000