Official 2009 SCORE Baja 1000 Info Thread

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
I was invited to race this year, but didn't have enough time to pull it off - plus, not sure I want the 1000 to be my first race - lol!

We are talking about racing my SR1 in the 500 next year! :)

Hmmm...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
1802 Thomas Graves in the Alba Yamaha Rhino is only 5 miles fromt he finish. He would be only the 3rd UTV to finish and the first Yamaha Rhino to ever finish the 1000!!!!!

1818 is at RM 619 and working his way to the finish in the first TomCar to possibly ever finish the baja 1000 and the first tomcar to do it!!!!

Lets go guys!!!

junior quisquis

I AM NOT BLUE - YOU LIFT-YOU LOSE! - UTVUndergroun
the 1802 has officially finished and has become the first Yamaha Rhino to ever finish the Baja 1000!!!!! Great work to the entire 1802 team
HELL YAA! thanks for posting Joey. That makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside, Ha just kidding. That is bad a$$. I am glad to be part of team Dragonfire, and glad to be a Rhino owner.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
What a race. Even sitting at my computer watching turned out to be adventure. I was texting IRC updates to our team. I was able to relay info from pit crews south of San Felipe to other team members on the beach in Santo Tomas. I fell asleep at 11:00pm last night sitting on my couch with IRC running and Weather Man streaming live over my head phones. I woke back up at 4:00am with IRC still cranking and Weather Man still playing in my head phones.

Car 101 and 104 were running strong all day. Early in the night car 104 had some issues. Pitting for 2 cars makes it very difficult. You can't leave your pit until both cars clear. But we all have multiple pit location dutys. We had to get parts for the 104 car and run them into the course while still providing chase support to car 101. The ORW Prerunner was running parts into the car at RM446 when they lost control and slid into a ditch breakingsome steering parts. So we ended up with a car at RM446 and a chase truck at RM436 were they both spent the night. After the 101 car finished we were able to focus on getting the 104 car up and running. While 1/2 the team was chasing 104 back to the finish the other 1/2 was getting a trailer from Ensanada and driving 3.5 back the ORW chase. We were able to get to get the 104 car acrossed the line and the ORW truck back to the main pit.

What an insane race weekend. Thanks to all the pit support. Special thanks to my boy Bob for holding it down for me.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Joey,

I just wrote a huge post on Baja and sent it but nothing is showing up. Don't make me re-write the whole thing again!
Happens to me all the time. :confused: Never when replying to a thread, just when posting a new one. There is a field called prefix that doesn't show up on my blackberry, if it's not filled out the post doesnt "post".

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Holy sh!t...what an adventure! We did ~400 chase miles and we're up 47 hours. The day started at 6AM leaving Ensenada for RM165 to gas the AGM 101 car. At that point he was 9th in the race and our 104 car was running 10th and both were running strong. Once we fueled him, we headed out for RM 400 to fuel up the 104 car.

Got the pit setup and the radio chatter had us getting 101 first (not planned) as they had lost all front brakes and were buring up tranny fluid. We prepared fluids and brakes for this car and also setup to fuel the 104 car, which was burning up about 3-4 quarts of engine oil every pit up to this point. Car 101 came in first and got tranny fluid, front brakes, replaced a broken front light assy. We also replaced a flat tire in the carrier and found the right rear tire flat. Car 101 got to the pit about 5 mins later and was fueld up and found no oil loss in the engine. Both were off and we headed out for our last pit at RM 630...the night and Baja took over at this point!

We got to Valley T to fuel up our chase truck (and eat YUMMY tacos) when heard that 104 was stopped with cooling issues. They found the problem and needed a part that was in a chase coming from San Felipe over to Ojos Negros. We hooked up with them, got the part and delivered it to the pre-runner, at Valley T, to get out to 104 (by way of Mikes Sky Ranch...nasty little section of road). You can see in the pics that things turned bad for us when the pre-runner broke and then got a new hat courtesy of #1248. This little mishap cost us 8 hours as our 104 car was sitting and waiting for the part that took less than 5 minutes to change. BTW is was F'IN COLD OUT THERE!!!! 104 has a camelback style drinking system for driver/co-driver and the water lines froze up. One of our trucks sitting around RM500 reported temps of 26 degrees early in the morning...In the meantime 101 was moving along at great pace.

We arrived at Ojos Negros for our final pit (visual) and rooted our 101 car on to the finish. The pre-runner mishap and radio comm loss had us here for 12 hours until 104 limped past and finally finished the race.

I was a little bummed that I didn't see any UTV's out on the course during my chase around the Baja.

Many thanks goes out to All German and the team for an experience that is too great for words. There really is nothing on the race course that sounds as good as the 101's BMW engine spooling up!!!! Thanks to Rusty for hooking me up with this gig (500 is next!) and to all the racers and teams who attempt this race.

Once I get home I'll post up some pics...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Holy sh!t...what an adventure! We did ~400 chase miles and we're up 47 hours. The day started at 6AM leaving Ensenada for RM165 to gas the AGM 101 car. At that point he was 9th in the race and our 104 car was running 10th and both were running strong. Once we fueled him, we headed out for RM 400 to fuel up the 104 car.

Got the pit setup and the radio chatter had us getting 101 first (not planned) as they had lost all front brakes and were buring up tranny fluid. We prepared fluids and brakes for this car and also setup to fuel the 104 car, which was burning up about 3-4 quarts of engine oil every pit up to this point. Car 101 came in first and got tranny fluid, front brakes, replaced a broken front light assy. We also replaced a flat tire in the carrier and found the right rear tire flat. Car 101 got to the pit about 5 mins later and was fueld up and found no oil loss in the engine. Both were off and we headed out for our last pit at RM 630...the night and Baja took over at this point!

We got to Valley T to fuel up our chase truck (and eat YUMMY tacos) when heard that 104 was stopped with cooling issues. They found the problem and needed a part that was in a chase coming from San Felipe over to Ojos Negros. We hooked up with them, got the part and delivered it to the pre-runner, at Valley T, to get out to 104 (by way of Mikes Sky Ranch...nasty little section of road). You can see in the pics that things turned bad for us when the pre-runner broke and then got a new hat courtesy of #1248. This little mishap cost us 8 hours as our 104 car was sitting and waiting for the part that took less than 5 minutes to change. BTW is was F'IN COLD OUT THERE!!!! 104 has a camelback style drinking system for driver/co-driver and the water lines froze up. One of our trucks sitting around RM500 reported temps of 26 degrees early in the morning...In the meantime 101 was moving along at great pace.

We arrived at Ojos Negros for our final pit (visual) and rooted our 101 car on to the finish. The pre-runner mishap and radio comm loss had us here for 12 hours until 104 limped past and finally finished the race.

I was a little bummed that I didn't see any UTV's out on the course during my chase around the Baja.

Many thanks goes out to All German and the team for an experience that is too great for words. There really is nothing on the race course that sounds as good as the 101's BMW engine spooling up!!!! Thanks to Rusty for hooking me up with this gig (500 is next!) and to all the racers and teams who attempt this race.

Once I get home I'll post up some pics...

Kind of Ironic that rusty and I were at home and not in baja and you Bob were running with AGM! So awesome, sounds like you had quite the adventure. Hopefully Randy's truck isnt messed up too bad, good thing he's rich! LOL

What happened there? How did he end up in the ditch?

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Kind of Ironic that rusty and I were at home and not in baja and you Bob were running with AGM! So awesome, sounds like you had quite the adventure. Hopefully Randy's truck isnt messed up too bad, good thing he's rich! LOL

What happened there? How did he end up in the ditch?
Chip was in the car with him, he can give you the scoop...something about Randy and a kick @ss truck and speed! Pretty much once it broke everything kept going bad that could...the truck isn't as bad as we thought after hearing the radio reports. The front right is tire is pushed back, radiator is messed up and some fiberglass damage.

Too bad you two couldn't make it. Paris was rockin' and we should have thrown down some brews. I told Martin I'm down for both the 500 and the 1000 anytime!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
check out RG just destroying the finish line!!!!! COngrats to Robby Gordon for winning the SCORE Trophy Truck Championship......I am sure he reads the Underground right?

LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OzHB3Xv5kM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Robby Gordon Baja 1000 2009.mov[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000