Official UTVUnderground 2016 Parker 250 Update Thread

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
JL claimed in a recent long-legged thread, that he felt he could beat the field of turbos while racing in his proven N/A package. Gotta respect a man who backs his smack with jack.
But, any team that hopes to pose a significant threat to the overall position come years end will need to do so in a turbo car. Cognito included. Better rack up the wins early guys. I'm guessing they'll be a lot harder to come by as the increasing number of formidable teams racing UTV's dial in reliabilty and speed. Impressive victory none the less.

With that being said, and clutching not withstanding, I don't know how the RZR drive train can match the solid design and durability of the Can-am's layout, given the additional power turbo charging brings. I'm guessing 2016 will be BRP's best chance at winning their 2nd open desert racing title, as the Polaris camp fights pesky, re-occurring drive train issues.

What drive train issues are you referring to? The turbo XP has a beefier set up than the non turbo xp.

Cognito has a proven car that seems to stay together this will be an advantage all season for them. I can see a non-turbo car winning the overall. The biggest issue I see with the turbos are they are getting so fast that the speeds are going to pass the cars ability to stay together.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I think to make it fair to all competitors, BITD or UTVRA will change the rules midseason and make Lambert switch to the TURBO car.... it's only fair :/
So if I am reading this right it's not fair for the other NA cars for us to race our NA cars? Our car is working good and Justin know how to drive it...that makes it unfair?

Reactions: Rynomx785

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
What drive train issues are you referring to? The turbo XP has a beefier set up than the non turbo xp.

Cognito has a proven car that seems to stay together this will be an advantage all season for them. I can see a non-turbo car winning the overall. The biggest issue I see with the turbos are they are getting so fast that the speeds are going to pass the cars ability to stay together.
I think the UTV racing scene is advancing so fast, no one really knows. I agree with most that the top guys will figure it out, but it seems like this race only proves that even the top guys are learning and trying different settings. At the end of the day, after testing, etc. all you can do is try a setup and see if it works. We all keep looking for the answers, but maybe toward the end of the season the answers will start to emerge.

The class took a monumental leap forward when everyone started running XP 1000's with Lonestar LT & Fox 3.0's, but initially Jagged could still kill it with their dialed 900.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul

Justin has been refining his package for years, and will most likely not be seeing huge gains in reliability or performance as the season ages, whereas the turbos will be learning and adapting rapidly, enjoying noticeable improvements as the season goes on. This is why I feel the n/a cars will need to take advantage early in the season if they hope to cash in later. We both know a cars ability to stay together relies heavily on component selection, proper chassis reinforcement, and race car set up/prep.
Saying the XP turbo has a beefier set up than the non turbo isn't saying much, since the non-turbo drivetrain package on the stock 2014-2015 XP4 1000 n/a cars sucked. I am not aware of what changes Polaris made to accommodate the turbo. Up until March last year, the car I prepped for Marc (the BB-Q'd 2015 XP4 1000) had cv joint issues, transmission seal issues at all 3 transmission shaft outputs, front sprague vulnerabilities even with the replacement metal bearing cage, and issues with driveshaft bearings and slip joint engagement. Not to mention a poor spline interface where the inner cv stubs slide into the splined sprague and tranny. I based my statement of the drivetrain design and durability of said car, without even going into comparing Can-ams set up to Polaris.
Either way you look at it, avg. speeds upwards of 50 MPH shows the teams and cars are progressing rather quickly, which says something about the caliber of the current teams. Our championship was mostly unchallenged in 2014. I wouldn't be able to say that now.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
So if I am reading this right it's not fair for the other NA cars for us to race our NA cars? Our car is working good and Justin know how to drive it...that makes it unfair?
No No, it's only fair to the turbo can ams to make you guys run a platform that you haven't plugged all your $ into yet to make reliable... sorry for the smart ass confusuion, you guys are top notch and fast :) My honest opinion on the situation would be to have 2 classes, the badasses "unlimited" and us poor folk with a dream, "stock"...... But like I mentioned, you guys would still outrun the "unlimited" cars and they'd make you switch classes half way through...

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggJim

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I really don't see how Justin's package wins races......It does appear they do have the car dialed in and they don't need to improve exponentially to stay on top. It looks like the last few races they been getting better without noticeable gains in cheating acumen. Right now their the team to beat and I wouldn't be too quick to write them off as just till the turbos come on stream. FYI ran into Bigg Jim after the drivers meeting and I thought he was coming for me but turns out I was just standing next to a bowl of nachos....

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I really don't see how Justin's package wins races......It does appear they do have the car dialed in and they don't need to improve exponentially to stay on top. It looks like the last few races they been getting better without noticeable gains in cheating acumen. Right now their the team to beat and I wouldn't be too quick to write them off as just till the turbos come on stream. FYI ran into Bigg Jim after the drivers meeting and I thought he was coming for me but turns out I was just standing next to a bowl of nachos....
We used to lead every race we were in about a year ago, but had clutch gremlins that lost it for us every race. They've worked thru them now. If it wasn't for that problem we would have at least 3 more wins.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
George I was charging after you cause it looked like you were about to trip over your oxygen tank and I wasn't sure if you had life alert.:D

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
Congrats to the Cognito team and Justin! With that said, it is sad that the UTV racing classes will continue to be plagued with controversy over the rules and how they are implemented. I am super happy that a Pro Production car not only took the overall but from what I have heard crossed physically first.

I would love to know why the start order got screwed up at the gate after we staged and started to move forward. I should have started against Staggs and his Yamaha but ended up getting the light with Felix who had a draw position 2 below mine. Secondly, the rules had some changes this year that were not enforced even at Tech. We changed things on our car to make sure we met those yet saw car that had not. One of these cars was supposedly built by Dezert Toyz and still the bumpers were so short they were more of a brush guard. Another three digit car did not have rear fenders at all. The rules now read in both production classes we have to have front and rear fenders. I guess it is what it is, fenders and bumpers don't win races. We will continue to work hard as hell to keep racing and worry about rules stuff when it affects us.

Start positions do affect us and it sucks to have a start position and somehow Two cars with draw spots behind me start before me.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I was as confused as you were. The official looked perplexed as well so I think he made an executive decision and said fuck it.

Get used to the rules being a moving target. Cory had LSR build my cage and now it's not legal apparently needs more gussets. That cage has been rolled so many times it's the kind of stuff that legends are born of but still no bueno.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
I agree he was really confused. Did you notice somebody ended up going out alone because of the screw up.
I think this is and always will be a issue with bitd due to people not showing up to the start on time or not at all and I think some one missing is what screwed it all up but who knows , I do know this isn't the first time and won't be the last lol

Reactions: Amarillo6oh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000