Pismo Rookie

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
I've been to Glamis many times before , but I really want to make a Pismo trip in the next few weeks. I've never been and I am looking for tips from you guys.

I have a 30' class c and will be towing my enclosed trailer, will I need to air down motorhome and trailer to prevent getting stuck ?

I've heard you can only get into and out of the beach at low tide ?

Trapping the beach side of the rig to prevent the blowing sand to bury the rig ?

It will be two couples going but only one rig so I really don't want to get stuck and have a miserable short weekend by setting up and tearing down. My girlfriend is pregnant so I am looking for a fairly mellow place to go and cruise with her in the car. Any tips will be greatly appreciated or I'll just have to go out to Glamis .

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Yes low tide is the best time to go it so there is plenty of room to drive on the hard sand. Air down all your tires including the trailer. Motor homes have a hard time being 2 wd. People will usually help you out but if you really want to play it safe you can arrange with the tow company out there to pull you in and out. I hear it's much cheaper to arrange ahead of time with them. If worse comes to worse and you have to pay them to tow you the rate is higher if you don't make arrangements. Bring caution tape to mark out your camp and stakes. I use 1/2" emt conduit as stakes hammered in the sand. You can cut a 10' piece in 1/3rd to get 3 stakes out of 1 piece.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
I would arrange ahead of time I think with your setup. I usually get there around 7am when the tides down and the sand is wet. I can tow my 23' toy hauler around aired down to 15 on truck and trailer in 4wd at that point. Once the sand dries out around noon you sink easy. For you the tuff part will be doing the U-turn. Thats when you will have issues if at all unless you try to head out into the dunes vs the shoreline. This late in the season it shouldn't be crowded at all.

avery4jc

Sep 16, 2014
Don't forget huckfest is the weekend of the 18th. You mentioned you want to go in the next few weeks. Awesome event but it will be insanely crowded and not ideal for a first trip.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Air down ALL tires, have a good stretch strap and 4x4 ready. When setting up if camping beach front pay close attention to the old tide line, check tide chart and camp accordingly. When riding away from the beach ride with caution as there will be drop offs. STAY OFF the beach front, that's where they patrol the hardest and they will write you up for driving 17 in a 15mph zone.....Have Fun

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I would arrange ahead of time I think with your setup. I usually get there around 7am when the tides down and the sand is wet. I can tow my 23' toy hauler around aired down to 15 on truck and trailer in 4wd at that point. Once the sand dries out around noon you sink easy. For you the tuff part will be doing the U-turn. Thats when you will have issues if at all unless you try to head out into the dunes vs the shoreline. This late in the season it shouldn't be crowded at all.
This is not always the case, The tide schedule changes daily. The higher the number the further the tide comes in.

http://www.centralcoastweather.net/Oceano/MonthTides.asp

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
air down, air down, air down, air down.....Pismo can be nasty

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Take some ply wood to put on the beach side of your motorhome so the sand doesn't get blown out from under your leveling jacks or your wheels

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replies. I was actually thinking of going over Halloween. I really want to go to Glamis for camp RZR but with a pregnant girl i was looking for something a little more mellow.

It sounds like I will need a 4X4 ( or should ) , I think ill do Pismo when i can get a group together to help out when stuck.

Good luck at Parker Bigg JIM.. WISH I WAS THERE !!

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
I think you would be fine just try and get there early so you don't have to go to far back into the dunes air your tires down and keep it floored.even if you do get stuck there's always someone there to lend a hand.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Great advice to listen to... you definitely want to go with a group and check the tide schedule... also, my wife thinks glamis is smoother and more mellow than pismo... pismo has the drop offs and nothing but small dunes... plus, you ultimately camp on top of each other...either way, you'll be out riding which is better than working, have fun and be safe :)

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
Great advice to listen to... you definitely want to go with a group and check the tide schedule... also, my wife thinks glamis is smoother and more mellow than pismo... pismo has the drop offs and nothing but small dunes... plus, you ultimately camp on top of each other...either way, you'll be out riding which is better than working, have fun and be safe :)

Thanks man, good to know about Pismo, Like i said in title ive never been. I always thought it was a more relaxed and less crowded alternative. Glamis works for me its about 2-3 hours closer to me in Southern California anyways !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000