Purchasing 4 seater - HELP! XP1 .. Can Am?

random hero

Feb 21, 2011
Looking for help, the more info and opinions the better! Looking to buy 4-seater for trips to desert, some to dunes and ultimately setup to be able to run in baja for days at a time on vacation/mild prerunning.

I can't decide what's a better UTV for my purpose. I currently have Teryx4, but will be selling/trading in, looking for something with a lot more power, suspension - really something more purpose built for off-road and dunes. I've talked to shops like Magnum who've suggested XP1 for dunes, Can-AM for prerunner/trail machine.... I can't decide and will pull the trigger in the next couple weeks, just looking for some advice.

Seems like build quality and comfort is can-am strong suit - but on paper and all out performance the XP1 is the choice of most.

To be honest, I thought I had my mind made up and got to looking at the Madigan Motorsports Can-Am again today and can't stop drooling.... What say you guys?

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Not a nicer 4 seater out there than that build. The bar is set pretty high with that one

random hero

Feb 21, 2011
Can-Am ... or Polaris?

Just read Can-Am is bringing a 4 seat turbo model to market in December.... Is it worth worrying about the added complexity of a turbo unit when your planning on taking one of these down to Baja?

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
The turbo model is far and away the best sxs out there right now in stock form. I believe the Polaris has better suspension but the overall package winner is can am

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Talk with the dealer about the 4 seat can am yesterday. They only put out 3 psi of boost, should be reliable in stock form and has room for more boost.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
The turbo model is far and away the best sxs out there right now in stock form. I believe the Polaris has better suspension but the overall package winner is can am
x2 !!

If your buying new, get 4 seat turbo mav IMO.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Go sit in them and see which one your most comfortable in. The Can-Am Build quality is pretty tough to beat. The aftermarket Cake Decorating Support is good for the Polaris though. If your really going to be spending a lot of time in Baja running around I would say go with the Can Am . I had over 1600 smiles on my Max with no problems ever. With the new suspension and Turbo the new Max should be Awesome to say the least. But once again go to a Dealer that sells both and try them both on for size to be fair about it. You will be spending most of your time in the seat.;)

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Id be happy with popo or Canham....both are awesome 4 seaters, but I think I would lean towards a factory turbo with a small amount of reliable boost......but comfort is a big factor too and I agree with everyone who says to go sit in them first......

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Best thing to do is sit in both and if possible take them for a test ride. Can't go wrong with either one. If you end up wanting the Can Am I would wait for the turbo Max to be released.

random hero

Feb 21, 2011
Talked to my local dealer today and will be going tomorrow am to test drive both 2 seaters and polaris 4-seater, make my decision. He also said its a toss up, just come drive both and decide from there.

I would have the first 4-seat turbo in our state, but he said Can-Am didn't just decide to put a turbo on this thing and release it, said it's been years of R&D and they're not worried in the least about reliability. One positive I like about the Can-Am is the turbo model has forged internals.

I'll either come home tomorrow w/a Polaris, or will put deposit down on the can-am, will update tomorrow afternoon.

random hero

Feb 21, 2011
OK... I went and drove both 2 seaters, and both were massive improvement from the Terxy 4. The rzr was fast and very smooth. but the Can-Am was FAAAAST... I road-race cars and motorcycles, and the Can-Am startled me with it's speed.

That being said - I put my deposit on the Can-Am, it'll be here in 2-3 weeks, BUT I'm still undecided. The OTD difference between CA & Rzr is $2500, with the CA priced @ $22,900

I can think of pro's and con's of each machine, and really am still on the fence about what would be my best option. They both have some very good strengths...

random hero

Feb 21, 2011
yeah.. Anyone talk some sense into me, seems like the $2500 difference will be eaten up very quickly to setup the RZR on par w/the can-am

aftermarket cage (been eye'ing cage-wrx, but not a fan of how high they sit)
beadlocks

The CA cage was superior, I don't feel like the Rzr cage is a very quality piece after seeing photos online of them snapped in half. CA comes w/14" bead-locks, it's larger and more comfortable.

The cons I can see w/CA - zero aftermarket stuff for it right now, which is fine - I'm really just wanting doors, and CA brand fronts are almost $800 - NO THANKS. No harness bar front, or rear I believe, so that's $300 extra I'll need to spend just to have sufficient seatbelts. Other than that, it's likely good to go just about anywhere.... My head is spinning :confused:

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Lol! The stock cages are all about the same . Don't let that larger diameter of the Can Am fool you into thinking it is any safer. They will all do their job.

Congrats on the Max turbo. It should be a great ride

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Congrads on the Turbo Max!
Alex at CT Race Worx is working on LOTS of stuff for the new XDS. It takes a few weeks to get it all designed and into production. Throw on some CT front chassis braces and tie rods and you are set.

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Lol! The stock cages are all about the same . Don't let that larger diameter of the Can Am fool you into thinking it is any safer. They will all do their job.

Congrats on the Max turbo. It should be a great ride
Hey Sandy I'm gonna have to say that the Can Am Max cage is way better than any RZR cage. My friends son and my little girl crashed a Max last year upside down twisting roll and cleared about 40' of air. I have some pictures that would shock you. And the cage did not bend. Tore the front suspension out of it and some plastic. I'm thankful that they were not in a Polaris since I have seen how weak there cages are. My daughter might have been seriously injured in a Polaris and every one in our camp believes that now after seeing what happened. They launched it off a Sandy tree stump and cork screwed it to the passenger side and ripped front arms back and landed on its side and Top. Scary stuff. I have a hard time thinking about it and what could have been really happened to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000