Trail etiquette

BlackRhinoJessie

Black Rhino - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
What are your thoughts on the etiquette of Trail riding?
  • Hand Signals?
  • Right of way?
  • Do you lead or follow?

I'd love to know what you think....... In my experience i think more people need to know these!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Hand Signals?

Absolutely it's courteous and makes sure everyone knows who's around. Just a good safety practice.

Right of way?

Uphill always has right of way. If level, gentlemen's agreement. Usually someone clearing an obstacle should not have to stop.

Do you lead or follow?

Can do either. Running drag is kinda cool 'cause you get to help folks out that break down. Adds a little more enjoyment, for me, to the ride.

BlackRhinoJessie

Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hand Signals?

Absolutely it's courteous and makes sure everyone knows who's around. Just a good safety practice.

Right of way?

Uphill always has right of way. If level, gentlemen's agreement. Usually someone clearing an obstacle should not have to stop.

Do you lead or follow?

Can do either. Running drag is kinda cool 'cause you get to help folks out that break down. Adds a little more enjoyment, for me, to the ride.
Alright, so I learned most of that from growing up in the dez but I cant say that most people who are out know this.... Last time I was out and it was busy people were so unpredictable...... are the hand signals universal...???? desert/ trails?

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Hand Signals?

Right of way?

Do you lead or follow?

Also, the lead should indicate how many riders are behind to opposing traffic...pick up trash, no matter who left it, I always leave with way more than I packed in

transcribed by carrier pigeon for tapatalk

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Alright, so I learned most of that from growing up in the dez but I cant say that most people who are out know this.... Last time I was out and it was busy people were so unpredictable...... are the hand signals universal...???? desert/ trails?

Jessie,

When I'm riding in the Arrowhead area by my house, I always use hand signals and everyone else seems to understand and reciprocate. So I would say a good majority do. Of course you always have the morons who for whatever reason think there god's gift to offroad and will just ignore you. But in most cases it works in my experience.

Can I ask why you're curious? You have a new method you want to spring on us? :D

Dan...

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Motorcycles should be given right of way. They tend to lose in a head-on. When riding in groups, faster groups should be allowed to pass slower ones. We always let motorcycles pass us because they are generally faster. The Jeepers are usually pretty good about this and allow us to pass but there are always some a-holes who haven't learned from mommy to be courteous.

BlackRhinoJessie

Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
Jessie,

When I'm riding in the Arrowhead area by my house, I always use hand signals and everyone else seems to understand and reciprocate. So I would say a good majority do. Of course you always have the morons who for whatever reason think there god's gift to offroad and will just ignore you. But in most cases it works in my experience.

Can I ask why you're curious? You have a new method you want to spring on us? :D

Dan...
Well the reason I ask is because I am crazy about the "indicating how many riders are behind" rule and there were so many people just jump back on the trail behind us....(No I’m not throwing you the peace sign Haha!) ....... So I thought maybe things were different...........

Im not familiar with trails as much but my brother kills it and I enjoy riding passenger to him so of course I'm taking on the "co-driver" role.... and spotting the "god's gift to offroad" Thought maybe I needed to learn up on the rules a little! Haha! No new methods........ sorry :p But thanks for all the tips It looks like most of it is common courtesy........ Just want to hear it from you guys :) I appreciate all the advice

Keep it coming :)

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
we come across this alot on our trips to slash x from anderson/camp rock. right of way works. i seen bikes moving too fast come over a roller and a family of quads with little ones in the group coming up the hill. always give right of way to the uphill traffic. and i alway stay as last vehichle. (sweep) anybody goes down, or needs repair i can see them. i carry most of the spare gas, tire repair, tow strap ect. and i carry a first responder trauma kit with me. we have come across bike riders in bad shape on this trail before. :eek:

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Motorcycles should be given right of way. They tend to lose in a head-on. When riding in groups, faster groups should be allowed to pass slower ones. We always let motorcycles pass us because they are generally faster. The Jeepers are usually pretty good about this and allow us to pass but there are always some a-holes who haven't learned from mommy to be courteous.

I agree but the last time I was at miller canyon we had some A hole motorcycle guys pass us then stop in the middle of the trail then catch us and fly by us throwing rocks etc several times. We were pulling over the first two times not after they were like that tho.

We always signal how many behind and try to be courteous to others in the trail.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I say don't be an A-hole. Follow that rule and we'll all be good to go.

Geez Dan, you like other people misery or what? hahaha!!

dkiewicz

Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I say don't be an A-hole. Follow that rule and we'll all be good to go.

Geez Dan, you like other people misery or what? hahaha!!

Nope, I like to help others out of their misery and some day when I break down I hope they are around to help me.:cool:

BDorland

“Plan Ahead to Get Aheadâ€
Jul 4, 2013
I usually pick up the rear but when I lead or ride up front I always signal the number of riders behind. When I cover the last position I use a fist followed by a tap to my helmet, the universal signal for all good, as in all good to hit it hard after me.

When approaching a blind section of a trail I hope that both directions stay to the right side of the trail at least here in the states, who knows what those foreigners do.

When transitioning a dune crest or transitioning bowl to bowl I like to approach the crest and turn right or left to run parallel before committing. This gives me a chance to see other riders dunning on the other side as well I can then see any obstacles. I think this simple driving technique is probably one of the most important ones. There are a lot of people that hit the dunes too hard and even though their bad ass car or bike can take anything and they are the best driver or rider ever, they are putting others at risk with their aggressive driving style. Use the proper technique when approaching anything blind, if you can’t see them they can’t see you.

I know it’s not cool to say but I’m not one to care what others think, sometimes we just need to slow down. After all accelerating is most of the fun, so slow down it’s another chance for you to punch it and feel the acceleration. Drive safe so we all can get more seat time.

Last edited:

BlackRhinoJessie

Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
I usually pick up the rear but when I lead or ride up front I always signal the number of riders behind. When I cover the last position I use a fist followed by a tap to my helmet, the universal signal for all good, as in all good to hit it hard after me.
<O:p</O:p
When approaching a blind section of a trail I hope that both directions stay to the right side of the trail at least here in the states, who knows what those foreigners do.
When transitioning a dune crest or transitioning bowl to bowl I like to approach the crest and turn right or left to run parallel before committing. This gives me a chance to see other riders dunning on the other side as well I can then see any obstacles. I think this simple driving technique is probably one of the most important ones. There are a lot of people that hit the dunes too hard and even though their bad ass car or bike can take anything and they are the best driver or rider ever, they are putting others at risk with their aggressive driving style. Use the proper technique when approaching anything blind, if you can’t see them they can’t see you.
I know it’s not cool to say but I’m not one to care what others think, sometimes we just need to slow down. After all accelerating is most of the fun, so slow down it’s another chance for you to punch it and feel the acceleration. Drive safe so we all can get more seat time.
Brian,
Thank you for the tip I'm grateful to get more info on those hand signals! "Drive safe so we all can get more seat time." Great Advice!

Thank you!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
All trail rides turn into a race. I can't follow. I have push people and go fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000