Weller Racing responds to Kimbrell’s DQ at LOORRS Round 6

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Chris

They used the same method as the Karts . Actual measurement of bore and stroke. It is my understanding they all passed.

To the Underground at large

As stated by others in this thread ,we agree and do not believe the oversize engine is why Austin won. And I honestly feel for the young man because I don't believe there was "INTENT" to cheat . But rules are there for a reason. It also begs the question if this was Chad's motor being DQ'd would you all be singing the same tune.

Kudo's to Wellers for their stand up response.When faced with this type of situation you really have no choice but stand up and face the music.
As much as I have stirred the pot with your team in the past, I agree with what you said. it would be a different tune by some peeps.

Good seeing you this weekend. and congrats to your team Grant.

Also Congrats to all the top finishers and teams.:)

Rog

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Something that stands out to me is the fact that they measured 5 times and if I heard right they had 5 different measurements? Its just seems pretty lame that if you were that close in tolerance that they wouldnt just chalk it up to engine wear and that the other racers wouldnt stand up and say "hey comeone thats just bogus"..Didnt someone say that CORR allowed for up to 4cc's of difference or something?...and I know Bobby is running the same motor and his checked out? Did someone protest or was this just a mandatory tech inspection by LOORRS? Overall it just sucks, but I dont think this will take away from what Austin has been able to do. Reality is that small of a CC is not going to create the power that allowed him to finish at that large of a margine. He has a fast car and he is on fire as a driver! Something tells me this will only fuel his competitive fire!

Keep up the Hard work ALL OF YOU RACERS!WELLER/FUNCO/XMF/HRT/COD/FST/DFR/etc.......... You guys are putting on one hell of a show!

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
it was addressed a long time ago concerning teryx displacement. ive talked to lee about it when i was the m4sx tech. just like ive told everyone, getting input from chris at benchmark, go with the already available for years, for the bruteforce, big bore kit sizes. not just call it an 800cc cap when its common knowledge that the kit is actually a cc or two over 800cc's. this is just plain stupid. i guess something that was gonna be a forseen problem isnt avoidable. sorry austin you got completely screwed by piss poor rule planning.

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
it was addressed a long time ago concerning teryx displacement. ive talked to lee about it when i was the m4sx tech. just like ive told everyone, getting input from chris at benchmark, go with the already available for years, for the bruteforce, big bore kit sizes. not just call it an 800cc cap when its common knowledge that the kit is actually a cc or two over 800cc's. this is just plain stupid. i guess something that was gonna be a forseen problem isnt avoidable. sorry austin you got completely screwed by piss poor rule planning.
I agree that it would be nice to be able to use "commonly available parts". However, the rule states 800cc. My Teryx motors (not many out there, lol) use a bore size less than 88mm in order to meet the rule. This caused additional cost and time over using 88mm pistons, but it was the logical choice to me.
This is NOT a dig on Weller or Kimbrell. It sounds like Weller was just not completely informed and thought they were good to go. Fortunately I don't think there is anyone who thinks they were intentionally bending the rules, or that this created an unfair advantage.
The biggest loss is to Kimbrell, who would have had a substantial points lead at this point.
In a couple of weeks this will be old news, and everyone will forget about it. :cool:

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim
hey Chris, correct me if my math is wrong but an 88mm with a stock stroke is 804cc I am curious if they used an 88mm or an 87.5 mm piston if Weller could comment on what pistons were used I think it would be helpful to all of us because of the stated 1.4cc difference makes me believe that the correct size pistons were used and it was over bored for ring clearance???

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Congrats to Austin, XMF, and Weller for the win! Don't beat yourself up over this! 1.4cc could easily be contributed to human error. Some of the best machinists in the industry make measurement mistakes.

Any video?

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
hey Chris, correct me if my math is wrong but an 88mm with a stock stroke is 804cc I am curious if they used an 88mm or an 87.5 mm piston if Weller could comment on what pistons were used I think it would be helpful to all of us because of the stated 1.4cc difference makes me believe that the correct size pistons were used and it was over bored for ring clearance???
Bore x Bore X Stroke x .7854 x # of cylinders = displacement

8.8 x 8.8 x 6.6 = 511.104, 511.104 x .7854 = 401.42cc per cylinder, x2 = 802.8cc

8.75 x 8.75 x 6.6 x .7854 = 396.87cc x 2 = 793.74cc

Grant@funco

Monster Energy / Funco Kawasaki - UTVUnderground A
Feb 8, 2009
Califorinia
Something that stands out to me is the fact that they measured 5 times and if I heard right they had 5 different measurements? Its just seems pretty lame that if you were that close in tolerance that they wouldnt just chalk it up to engine wear and that the other racers wouldnt stand up and say "hey comeone thats just bogus"..Didnt someone say that CORR allowed for up to 4cc's of difference or something?...and I know Bobby is running the same motor and his checked out? Did someone protest or was this just a mandatory tech inspection by LOORRS? Overall it just sucks, but I dont think this will take away from what Austin has been able to do. Reality is that small of a CC is not going to create the power that allowed him to finish at that large of a margine. He has a fast car and he is on fire as a driver! Something tells me this will only fuel his competitive fire!

Keep up the Hard work ALL OF YOU RACERS!WELLER/FUNCO/XMF/HRT/COD/FST/DFR/etc.......... You guys are putting on one hell of a show!
Fortunatly Bobby was not checked as my guess is he has the same combo as Austin .If they were really sticking to the letter of the law the motor is supposed to be sealed at tech on friday, if for some reason you need to change a motor,you are required to notify the officials .Again it fortunate for Austin it did not work this way or he would have lost both his wins. It is also common practice to tech top 5 in case someone in the top 3 is found illegal . They had originally pulled 5 to tech but reased 4th and 5th . The cc tech was implemented by LOORS. It was pretty common knowledge the were going to test last week end.

Where is Bobby BTW ,It's not like him to be quiet LOL

The measurements they came up with for us were dead on what our engine combination is. We did need to change a motor and LOORS knew about it.

Again I don't believe there was intent to cheat , I think there was some poor judgement calls made based on an assumption there was a certain percentage of leeway on the limit.

Sorry C&C but I disagree,The V twin already has power advantage and to allow it to be bigger then you could ever make a single(Rhino) or a Polaris (siamese twin) just because there was already parts available is taking the easy way out .

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim
Bore x Bore X Stroke x .7854 x # of cylinders = displacement

8.8 x 8.8 x 6.6 = 511.104, 511.104 x .7854 = 401.42cc per cylinder, x2 = 802.8cc

8.75 x 8.75 x 6.6 x .7854 = 396.87cc x 2 = 793.74cc
I know I did the math too just wondering if LOORS measurements were off..
but it looks like by what grant said it was accurate to there motor size

hey Grant what did they use for measurements, calipers micrometers????

thanks

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I know I did the math too just wondering if LOORS measurements were off..
but it looks like by what grant said it was accurate to there motor size

hey Grant what did they use for measurements, calipers micrometers????

thanks
Math was not off, if you caught it, the 1.4cc was for One cylinder. hence it makes sense of 802.8.

and Joey, no one protested, we were told on the grid, top five to tech, top three motor check. they did this for the modified Trophy karts also.

Grant stated something that no one seemingly caught, I also thought they should mark motors also when tech'ed for the weekend.

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
yeah i guess it is an easy way out to get info about what the norm is then deciding that oh its 2cc's off of a nice basic sounding number to remember then i guess your right. poor rule planning, lee called me a few times about making rules and agreed that it would possibly be a problem and was even considering a larger cap because of the 840 kit. we all know its an advantage with the kawi motor but thats a whole other debate. i bought one for my personal use because i wanted more power too.

troy C&C racefab.

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000