Polaris 2013 Polaris RZR XP900 Jagged X Edition REVIEW

PismoSliderJX

Jun 4, 2013
Pismo Beach
Your review was very helpful, because I decided to purchase a Jagged X to ride the dunes at Pismo based upon your review and my own investigation. I have just broken it in (have not pushed the throttle to the floorboard yet), and I have to say that it is an amazing machine. I have riden and raced dirt bikes up to 500 cc since I was a kid, ridden quads for recreation, etc. I grew up in a family where our flat bottom ski boat would do over 100 mph on the Parker strip, no problem. I have also competed in various drag racing classes on the asphault at speeds touching 200 mph. And, I have driven a NASCAR around Phoenix Intl. at over 150 mph along the back straightaway. I would have to say that carving the dunes with the Jagged X RZR has been the the most exhilarating experience of them all. What a great machine!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Your review was very helpful, because I decided to purchase a Jagged X to ride the dunes at Pismo based upon your review and my own investigation. I have just broken it in (have not pushed the throttle to the floorboard yet), and I have to say that it is an amazing machine. I have riden and raced dirt bikes up to 500 cc since I was a kid, ridden quads for recreation, etc. I grew up in a family where our flat bottom ski boat would do over 100 mph on the Parker strip, no problem. I have also competed in various drag racing classes on the asphault at speeds touching 200 mph. And, I have driven a NASCAR around Phoenix Intl. at over 150 mph along the back straightaway. I would have to say that carving the dunes with the Jagged X RZR has been the the most exhilarating experience of them all. What a great machine!
That is awesome!!!!!

PismoSliderJX

Jun 4, 2013
Pismo Beach
JoeyD23, so now that I have taken on the first 10 lbs. of sand into the Jagged X, it is time to figure out how to tune this beast. I have also been bottoming out the front shocks, and have taken it up 3-4 clicks. I am just about out of clicks. Is there any information on tuning these shocks available? Also, can Walker Evans rebuild them to prevent bottoming out, or is the only option to buy the new dual spring "needle" shocks? Also, I am ready for rear paddles and spare rims. Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports is very knowledgeable and helpful on the proper combination for this SXS. Thanks again for your input.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
JoeyD23, so now that I have taken on the first 10 lbs. of sand into the Jagged X, it is time to figure out how to tune this beast. I have also been bottoming out the front shocks, and have taken it up 3-4 clicks. I am just about out of clicks. Is there any information on tuning these shocks available? Also, can Walker Evans rebuild them to prevent bottoming out, or is the only option to buy the new dual spring "needle" shocks? Also, I am ready for rear paddles and spare rims. Dave at Fullerton Sand Sports is very knowledgeable and helpful on the proper combination for this SXS. Thanks again for your input.
A re-valve will be necessary, WHEN you run out of compression adjustment. Just keep clicking them until you stop bottoming, one click at a time. Any yes Walker Evans does re-valving and/or needle conversions.

LaDSM

Jul 15, 2012
I just had Walker revalve and convert my shocks to needle valves and the test rides so far feel great. I am gonna hit the dirt in another week with them. Mine is a Jagged X also.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Mike,

Call Brian Maclean at Walker Evans Racing, tell him you are a UTVUnderground.com member and need the hot Jagged X shock re-valve settings put into your shocks. He will dial you in!!!

PismoSliderJX

Jun 4, 2013
Pismo Beach
Thanks for the info, everyone. I will be playing around with a new set of sand paddles and razorback smoothies in Pismo this weekend. I will continue to go up one click at a time on the front shocks as needed, and will see how the suspension works with the new tire combination as well.

PismoSliderJX

Jun 4, 2013
Pismo Beach
Well, here is the latest update on my evolving Jagged X experience. Joe at Fullerton Sand Sports did a great job in recommending a tire and wheel combination for the dunes. The rears are the STU 26" Blaster Pros, with 16 paddles and the 75/25 play cut, making them equal to having 12 full width paddles. The Pros are 1" wider, helping to give more bouyancy on the sand, and the 12" dia x 11" wide beadlock wheels also help in keeping the tire profile more flat. The fronts are 27" x 9" wide STU razor back smoothies. The net result is a larger diameter tire and a resulting "taller" gear ratio. Also, the wider wheels and tires provide about a 3-4" wider track, front and rear. As an added benefit, the fronts were about 12 lbs. lighter than the origional Bighorns, and the rears about 14 lbs. lighter.
This combination was awesome on both the early morning wet sand, as well as the late afternoon dry and deep sand inland from the ocean. I really loved the new combination. I didn't seem to loose anything while making sliding power turns in AWD, and the engine rpms were turning lower while maintaining the same relative speed. My buddy was taking photos, and the only thing that I lost were the big, billowing sand rooster tails on the high speed turns. It may not be as showy, but it is sure hooked up a lot better and more efficiently than the Bighorns. (I will save the Bighorns for the trails)
I am still playing with the clicks on the shocks, and am 3 clicks from being fully closed on the fronts. Only bottomed twice (once on the front suspension, and once on the rear), and they were not too violent. I will continue to experiment with this settup before considering reworking the shocks. I did feel the reservoirs on the shocks after each ride, and noted that they were getting warmer to the touch. In the future, I may begin measuring and recording the temperature after each ride with an IR gun (old drag racers habit-we measured the rear tire and track temperatures after the burnout) Of course, each weekend I am riding it a bit harder as well.
Thanks again for the guidance one and all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000