2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

Poopy

May 16, 2013
Here ya go...

1000cc Rotax and Kings with rear bypasses.
That's odd, I was getting in an argument with a bunch of rock crawler guys about how versatile sxs's are on a local forum, and one of the guys hating on sxs's posted this last night. I think it looks pretty sick!

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
BTW- what year(s) have you raced KOH? 2014 will be my 6th time!!! :-D
I dont race, I spend the week making sure your safe from fire, crashes and falling out of your trailer in the middle of the night, Sometimes I get to watch the racing from some really cool spots, other times Im flying someone who ran out of talent off to the hospital. Most of which is done with some badass UTV's.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
I dont race, I spend the week making sure your safe from fire, crashes and falling out of your trailer in the middle of the night, Sometimes I get to watch the racing from some really cool spots, other times Im flying someone who ran out of talent off to the hospital. Most of which is done with some badass UTV's.

Lol....ok, at least you know what you are talking about then!!! I don't recognize your user name.

Thanks for your support during the week!! You know as well as I, that it couldn't happen with out you and the others!!!

See ya on the lake bed!!!

Rob

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I like your post, but your comments regarding Stock Suspension mounting positions and "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative" is contradictory. I love "Otherwise let people build cars to push limits and be innovative", but I would lose the Stock suspension mounting locations to achieve it.

I agree!

Poopy

May 16, 2013
I think the whole point of a UTV class is to give people that don't have endless pockets a chance to win a really cool race. If you want to start from scratch and only end up with a UTV motor and hood....why not just step up and build an Ultra 4?

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
I think the whole point of a UTV class is to give people that don't have endless pockets a chance to win a really cool race. If you want to start from scratch and only end up with a UTV motor and hood....why not just step up and build an Ultra 4?

Good point. That is why there is a Sportsmans Class.

Like the EMC to the Ultra4.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Hell just making home from Johnson Valley in one piece, is winning an "Adventure" :)

One class for budget minded teams: Sportsman

One class for more inovation: Pro.

I think it is a good comprimise.

We all know any team that finished is a WINNER! Regardless of class.

That being said for the pro class, I would like stock main frame rails, CVT transmissions, production motors.... But open up the box for suspension.

Wyoming

Uncle Si in training
Sep 8, 2012
Cody, WY
Isn't sportsman a non-paying, non-points class? Maybe it should be a Production and Unlimited for points and sportsman for the guys in it for the fun.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
im hopeing fall weather kicks in soon. getting excited for another year at KOH. got the whole week off. heck were allready lining up rv, utv, and our menu.:eek: and keg of pacifico. get a red wristband again in 2014 for utv entrance. at least there is the sand show and offroad expo to keep me entertained until koh. and football season helps alittle. :cool:

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
That 7 iron pic is funny but dumb. Anyone who golfs know you wouldn't use a 7 iron in the situation. I drive a golf cart and can also play. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yield2me

May 17, 2011
That 7 iron pic is funny but dumb. Anyone who golfs know you wouldn't use a 7 iron in the situation. I drive a golf cart and can also play. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Lol...yeah, I know, as I play, too!! Damn Memes of KOH hatin on our Red Rhinos!!

Rob

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
Dave,
I believe Caseys car was just boat sided for clearance. I'm not positive but I believe the main frame rails stayed intact and stock.

Casey's Teryx is a stock engine 2012 Teryx 4 with HCR long travel and small boat sides for clearance like you said, the main frame is 100% stock with a weld in cage. He had to run the 100occ unlimted class because of the frame mods.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I'm going to chime in too. We've raced KOH for three years, in six different vehicles. One teryx in 2011, two 800's in 2012, two XP's in 2013.

This is more or less the only race we do.

-Qualifying is huge for fans, sponsors, etc. Anything that makes the racing better, and gets viewers and sponsors is a GREAT thing.
-Wednesday is awesome. Keep EMC on Thursday. But don't overshadow UTV's by having 4400 qualifying at the same time.
-Two classes is a great idea. Sportsman has less rules, maybe even lets nearly stock ones in that showed up last minute and decided they wanted to race(limit tire size to 28", no long travel, no frame mods, etc).
-Pro should have more safety rules, and allow more modifications, but lets not go crazy:

No turbos, no nitrous, no superchargers, engine and trans must be a paired OEM powersports engine and CVT trans, up to 1050 cc?

Four wheel drive required with low and high gear. This should allow the rotax guys in, and keep the Z1/Busa swaps out. None of this 130mph+ 6 speed crotch rocket swap crap.

No tires over 32".

No full tube chassis, backhalf ok. Shock mounting positions can be changed. Chassis can be reinforced/boatsided/notched for clearance. Suspension arm mounts must be in factory location in front. (this allows people to extend wheelbases by backhalving, which is in the spirit of KOH in my opinion).

Must retain factory type independent suspension. No solid axle swaps.

Must resemble production UTV. This allows changing of body panels for aftermarket as long as you don't go full custom.

Standard safety stuff. Doors(opening ones are great, since we are getting in/out all the time), 6 point cage, horn/siren, window nets, rear lights, harnesses, seats, fire extinguisher.

I like the winch being mandatory. Don't care about a front bumper rule, though I will run one to nerf with if needed.

If you take the EMC's out of last years race, I bet 10-12 UTV's would have finished on time. I broke and gave up due to time, because I had already sat waiting for an hour. The fix would only have taken me an hour. I didn't wait in the desert, I waited in the rocks.

Keep it simple, keep it interesting.

Thanks for posting Dave! We appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000