2014 King Of The Hammers - YES there will be a UTV Race!

simon_s

Jul 26, 2010
Hey guys. I'm the 'new guy' on the Ultra4 team. I can't help with rule questions or stuff like that, that's Dave's domain, but any general KOH/Hammertown questions I can prob give advice.

To keep up to date I'd really recommend checking http://www.ultra4racing.com for event updates and also to sign up to the newsletter. There will be an email going out every two weeks til February with the latest news. Also if you're a registered driver you'll get competitor only emails occasionally, so check your spam boxes.

With regards pre-running, the desert is open to use however you want up until 2/1. Remember that King Of The Motos is going on over the first weekend so you may have to stay away from certain areas, trails or race course so as not to cause issues for that race.

Also if any of you guys fancy getting out on course during the KOH race on Friday as a course worker send me an email [email protected]. I'm coordinating volunteers and would love to have some experienced 'quick response' teams available for crowd control etc.

Hope to see a big UTV turnout, I love watching you guys race.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Rules are out.

Classes have been simplified to Pro and Amateur for 2014. Pros will be racing for a purse and Amateurs will be racing for a trophy.
http://ultra4racing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2014-rules-v4.1-wlogo.pdf

6.6 UTV Class
6.6.1 A UTV is defined as a standard production based side by side 2 or more seat vehicle. 1000 CC or less motor with powersports based drivetrain. Any non-production based belt driven vehicles must be approved prior to racing.
6.6.2 UTV Safety – UTV’s to follow all Ultra4 Safety rules with the following exceptions
6.6.2.1 Six Point aftermarket racing cage. Sportsman may use 4 point factory cage with aftermarket rear bracing creating a six point cage
6.6.2.2 SFI Rated 5 point harnesses. Sportsman may use 4 point harnesses.
6.6.2.3 Seats must have slots for harnesses and adequate headrest contact with a helmet on.
6.6.2.4 Doors are required but not required to open
6.6.2.5 Window nets or arm restraints required
6.6.2.6 Factory plastic fuel cells allowed if used in factory mounting position
6.6.3 UTV Performance
6.6.3.1 Engines must be of 1000cc or less powersports configuration. Overboring of motor is permitted
Pretty simple.

Current list of registered and paid competitors: 17 pro, 4 sportsman.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="407"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" height="20">KOH UTV Pro & Sportsman</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1948</td> <td>Bill Barnett</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1919</td> <td>Blake Van de Loo</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1986</td> <td>Branden Sims</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1911</td> <td>BRIAN C BUSH</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1961</td> <td>Chris Barnett</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1984</td> <td>Cody Nygren</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1909</td> <td>DEAN BULLOCH</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1917</td> <td>Jason Murray</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1920</td> <td>John Duckworth</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1929</td> <td>Lanse Chournos</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1</td> <td>Mitch Guthrie</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1999</td> <td>Rob Usnick</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>
</td> <td>Robert Shepherd</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>64</td> <td>Robert VanBeekum</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>
</td> <td>Wesley Gryner</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>1946</td> <td>Wyatt Casper</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> <td>35</td> <td>Amberly Sacalas</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">Sportsman</td> <td>1915</td> <td>Brian Hogue</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">Sportsman</td> <td>1951</td> <td>Melvin Eugene Wade, IV</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">Sportsman</td> <td>
</td> <td>Scott Barnett</td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">Sportsman</td> <td>64</td> <td>Terry Kenyon</td></tr></tbody></table>

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Maybe some of us are still on the fence about making it :confused: Or just dreaming.... I imagine there will be more signing up, but I heard there were some scared form last years course...:eek:

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
The Pro UTV class likely has the same course as the EMC guys, and Dave already mentioned to the EMC guys that their course wouldn't be quite as hard as last year. I guess sponsors weren't that happy with the low numbers.

Even if it was the same course as last year? The finishing percentage in UTV would be way higher this year without those EMC guys blocking us. Plus we should get an extra hour this year since we don't have a class in front of us.

Brian and I literally broke within ten feet of each other, and we both gave up due to the fact that we would time out before finishing. No point in damaging the car if you can't finish within the time limits. Had we not sat there waiting for EMC cars for an hour or so before that? And with an extra hour on top? We both would have fixed our stuff and carried on.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Do we fall under this rule?:

DVWR Under 3200 lb. - 1.5" diameter x .120" wall thickness

Any aftermarket 6 point cage will pass. We will pass with 1.75" 0.095" wall, as that is what most UTV's have. You can go down to 1.5" if you want, but then it would need to be .120 wall.

Dave isn't going to be giving us a hard time about tech. If it passed last year, it will pass this year. And this year, a lot of stuff that wouldn't pass last year will be legal. IE, opening doors.

cart76

Nov 1, 2013
Chris,
Do you know if the sportsman will run a less demanding course? Something that a somewhat stock SXS could handle? I know after helping you out some last year and seeing what you and the rest had to race I could not compete. I think it would improve car count if a few of us low budget guy's dip our toe's in to see if we want to step up to pro in 2015. That being said I know it may not be in the spirit of KOH to be less demanding or challanging. But I can't build a KOH Pro SXS in Indiana to race 1 time a year either. For lack of a better term would we not be somewhat EMC? No offience to the EMC guy's I was there and we watched it was far from powder puff.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Simon,

When will our race course maps be available?

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Chris,
Do you know if the sportsman will run a less demanding course? Something that a somewhat stock SXS could handle? I know after helping you out some last year and seeing what you and the rest had to race I could not compete. I think it would improve car count if a few of us low budget guy's dip our toe's in to see if we want to step up to pro in 2015. That being said I know it may not be in the spirit of KOH to be less demanding or challanging. But I can't build a KOH Pro SXS in Indiana to race 1 time a year either. For lack of a better term would we not be somewhat EMC? No offience to the EMC guy's I was there and we watched it was far from powder puff.

Dave and I talked at length about this.

Sportsman will have the same course for most of the race, but then it will cut off short before the MAJOR rock trails. You should expect a course similar to the 2012 UTV race, so Elvis and whatnot. The pro class will continue on into the rocky stuff.

The Sportsman class will be doable in a stock RZR.

To convert a stock RZR for Sportsman:
Doors(opening or non)
suspension seats with harness slots
SFI harnesses(you have the option to run the sub belt or leave it out)
some sort of cage bracing to make it a 6 point cage(factory polaris accessory is ok)
front and rear bumper(rear brace usually doubles as a bumper)
rear amber light
an actual horn(no airhorns)
TWO fire extinguishers that meet ultra 4 rules(2.5 lbs each, date coded, with gauge)
orange triangles in case you break
rear view mirror(though i would recommend side view as well).
first aid kit, water, etc.
Window nets are not required in Sportsman. Ultra 4 will supply(rent?) wrist restraints to those cars in Sportsman that do not have nets.

Pro class requires all of the above, but an actual aftermarket cage with 1/8" roof, plus window nets are mandatory. 5 point SFI harnesses, etc. Read the rulebook. Basically the same as last year for all classes.

Stock ignition switch in a UTV doubles as the required kill switch. I verified this today with Dave.

Oh, and everyone needs a single layer race suit and a helmet meeting their requirements. SA/M 2005 or newer

Oh and John, if you're racing, who is going to lead my pit crew? :D

simon_s

Jul 26, 2010
Simon,

When will our race course maps be available?
Hey Brian,

In keeping with the tradition, course maps won't be released until the start of race week, maybe Friday 31st Jan. Expect confirmation a little closer to the time.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com

Sportsman will have the same course for most of the race, but then it will cut off short before the MAJOR rock trails. You should expect a course similar to the 2012 UTV race, so Elvis and whatnot. The pro class will continue on into the rocky stuff.

Doors(opening or non)
some sort of cage bracing to make it a 6 point cage(factory polaris accessory is ok)
rear amber light
TWO fire extinguishers that meet ultra 4 rules(2.5 lbs each, date coded, with gauge)
Window nets are not required in Sportsman. Ultra 4 will supply(rent?) wrist restraints to those cars in Sportsman that do not have nets.

Pro class requires all of the above, but an actual aftermarket cage with 1/8" roof, plus window nets are mandatory. 5 point SFI harnesses, etc. Read the rulebook. Basically the same as last year for all classes.

Stock ignition switch in a UTV doubles as the required kill switch. I verified this today with Dave.

:D
The past 2 years that I've been racing, no aftermarket cage was necessary. It just had to be a 6 point cage of some sort, like the RZR bolt on rear bars and my Wildcat cage met spec in stock form. Can we confirm the aftermarket cage requirement for Pro class?

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net

Doors(opening or non)
rear amber light

Oh, and everyone needs a single layer race suit and a helmet meeting their requirements. SA/M 2005 or newer

Oh and John, if you're racing, who is going to lead my pit crew? :D
Are you sure on the window nets for pro? I thought it was window nets or wrist restraints for both classes.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
The past 2 years that I've been racing, no aftermarket cage was necessary. It just had to be a 6 point cage of some sort, like the RZR bolt on rear bars and my Wildcat cage met spec in stock form. Can we confirm the aftermarket cage requirement for Pro class?
Rules say this:
6.6.2.1 Six Point aftermarket racing cage. Sportsman may use 4 point factory
cage with aftermarket rear bracing creating a six point cage

Interpret as you want. If I was doing tech? I'd accept the wildcat cage as a "racing cage".

Are you sure on the window nets for pro? I thought it was window nets or wrist restraints for both classes.

Good catch!

"6.6.2.5 Window nets or arm restraints required"

Doesn't specify that it is for sportsman only. So it must apply to both classes.

I will add that I have nothing to do with tech. I'm just really excited about the race. But after talking with Dave for while, my understanding is anything that was good to race last year will be legal this year for Pro. And Sportsman is for those who may or may not have been ok last year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000