Baja Racing of Texas First race has 10 entries!

The Governor

Feb 11, 2011
Dallas,Texas
I want to give a shout out to Lenny and Joe of the James Gang Offroad for all there help with prep and pit support. Thank y'all, with there help I managed a third place finish... Joe managed to pit for four cars and Lenny navigated me threw my first Dezert race. I also want to throw some props to Four Wheels of Texas, a Polaris dealer in Ft. Worth, Tx. That pulled a part from or should I say found one when know one else in Texas had one. Thank guys. If anyone in Texas needs a Polaris Dealer, those guys know what customer service is about!!!

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
Rick is right. BRT did an amazing job. Great people, great weather and a great track. They really tossed us a curve ball starting us in the dark, caught some people off guard. Rick asked me about 8 PM "Think I should put my lights on?" Good call.
I want to thank our new friend Rick, you did a great job for your first race. Infact you looked like a seasoned vetran. You are very fluid in your driving and you seem very comfortable. I havn't ridden in a car in years but I had a blast and would be your co-dawg any time. So when are we picking up the new XP's :D

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
We had a total of ten racers. Good showing for the first race I think. My wife is going through her pics now Joey and a race recap. She will email it to you as soon as she is done.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
I truley had a great time! I think I got hit on the head wityh the "curve ball" lenny is talking about! I have junky farm tractor lights on my Triple EEE because I haven't done any night driving! Between that and 7-8 layers of tear-offs I was driving with one hand, while holding my visor up eating dust!!! Within the first mile I came up on a dust trail, and slowed down because I couldn't find the source! I finally came up on a sportsman utv with no headlights, no amber light, and two little red tail lights! It could have been bad had I not seen them in time! By then the Honda Pilot had caught me, as well as the Govenor!!
While fending these two off I take a wrong turn mid way thru the first lap! It was still dark and I couldn't see my markers!!! I had several pre-run laps and should have been the last one to get lost!
After coming up on a course official, and him directing us back on to the course I realized we had cut a BIG portion of the course!!! I assumed the BRT team would have blacked flagged us and started over since I thought 3 of us got lost!
They didn't so I lost the race right there "assuming"!
At the next race we should have a better numbering system in place to seperate the sportsman class and pro class! Starting us in the dark poor Steve didn't know who was what and he inadvertantly started several of the "sportsman" class after the first set of pro class utvs then started the 2 fdl's ((pilot and triple EEE) The poor girls that we almost hit (no lights) had never even pre ran the course and they got lost a few times I bet! The timing officials were late that morning so the times were done by Steve at the last minute!!!
Ya'll are right the Guys at BRT did an outstanding job! They built us a great course that was both challenging and fun!!! I think the next race can do nothing but get bigger and better! We are talking about moving the race to friday afternoon, instead of the morning race! This would give us a LONGER race, and keep us out of the way on saturday! I like the idea, but I also want ya'lls input! I realize it will be harder for some to take off work!!! What do ya think! Is it worth the trade off? I think a full 2-3 hour race would be great, with no rush to Lclear the course!
A big Thank you to Lenny for bringing a welder and some gussets for some track side repairs! And to the rest of the james gang for the pit fueling help!!!

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
We have already had a few talks this week and it had been recognized that there was a few errors, the start (to dark and the side x side first two UTV's), some of the rules were a bit to lax (even for the first race), and a few other easlly issues to fix. The september race will be even better and God willing bigger. I think 10 for the first event was good, look at the Silver State they only had 13 in the drawing, so we have a great base to build off of. I really would like to get as much input from the other drivers so we can not only keep the class fair but I want all the racers to feel like it's "Their Class." We will have a a press realease for the Sept. race in the next few days so stay tunned. We've got great support and Chris, Greg and I are doing all we can to get more UTV sponsors to make really worth wild to race BRT. I posted in another thread with no replies but I want opinions on the new cage ideas for the XP's. We will be splitting the class into classes by CC's. After riding in an 800 RZR and getting passed by the XP's on the flats like BJ Baldwin passes a 1600 car I feel this is the thing to do. They had 3 XP's the first race so they should have enough next time as well (specialy since I want one now too) (For sale 07 Rhino full race with complete spares package...Hint Hint) Also It's not far off but if anyone wants to go run the New Mexico race hit me up there is a handful that are going.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
I'm hoping to do the New Mexico Race... But I won't know until I get closer to the date???

I talked to Steve Tyo the other day and we discussed the OhOh's...
Dark, fixable by maybe a friday afternoon race... OR maybe start the big guys first, then we could race Saturday evening... But then there is evening darkness to worry about... Friday also makes it harder to get people to the race... BUT if we get "more incentives" like you mentioned I see people "taking the day off"...
Class seperation at start... NUMBERS were a mess for the scorekeepers... At the Whiplash races I have been to (8 or 9 of them) they have the classes seperated by a 1-2-3 in front of the 01-99 numbers...each class has their own prefix... They ALSO supply numbers at the track at $1.00 each in white and Black so that contestants can place their numbers on the car BEFORE tech inspection is done...
I think BRT wants this to remain a good entry level class... so they should have several classes from purely stock, sport mods to pro mods then there are the r-1's and now the 900 xp's coming along... So they class structure will change a lot of places...
I have raced against the 900 xp's and they are smoking fast... probably selling like hotcakes so I expect they will have enough to fill their own class!
I also suggested that they employ a second timer... as a backup... The timer wasn't even on the ranch when the UTV race started... So that added to the confusion as well...
I don't see any reason this won't turn into the BIGGEST UTV RACE in the country...
Looking forward to seeing ya'll in New Mexico!!!

We have already had a few talks this week and it had been recognized that there was a few errors, the start (to dark and the side x side first two UTV's), some of the rules were a bit to lax (even for the first race), and a few other easlly issues to fix. The september race will be even better and God willing bigger. I think 10 for the first event was good, look at the Silver State they only had 13 in the drawing, so we have a great base to build off of. I really would like to get as much input from the other drivers so we can not only keep the class fair but I want all the racers to feel like it's "Their Class." We will have a a press realease for the Sept. race in the next few days so stay tunned. We've got great support and Chris, Greg and I are doing all we can to get more UTV sponsors to make really worth wild to race BRT. I posted in another thread with no replies but I want opinions on the new cage ideas for the XP's. We will be splitting the class into classes by CC's. After riding in an 800 RZR and getting passed by the XP's on the flats like BJ Baldwin passes a 1600 car I feel this is the thing to do. They had 3 XP's the first race so they should have enough next time as well (specialy since I want one now too) (For sale 07 Rhino full race with complete spares package...Hint Hint) Also It's not far off but if anyone wants to go run the New Mexico race hit me up there is a handful that are going.

The Governor

Feb 11, 2011
Dallas,Texas
I wish I could make it to NM. I can't make it happen due to prior commitments. I am very disappointed because Turbo T. your right I'm hooked!!!! Is there an EDR race scheduled anytime soon?

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
New mexico has several races coming up! Along with the Arizona whiplash racing and they are in the north east side of the state!!!
Edr doesn't let utv's race at notrees???

Big-E

Apr 20, 2011
BRT did a great job, better than any other race at Blackwell. Some hicups can be expected at any event of this kind.

The UTV race was originally set to begin at 0700....they moved it to 0645. It was going to be dark out even if it started at 0730. The starting line was confusing and the first 2 XP's starting side by side was probably a bad idea. i dont know if anyone else started side by side.

There were 5 XP 900's in this race, me being one of them.... They were wicked fast!!!! Im not sure how many cars I passed, I think 4 or 5 and I was third to start the race.

The laxed rules did bring people out to race that otherwise would not have been able to participate.

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
We met this week and it looks like there should be some new rules up on the website this weekend. Going to be some changes to what will be required as far as roll cage design goes and we will be splitting the pro class by engine displacement like many of the other series. Every change we are making has only been put in place to help keep people safe.
The next race will be bigger and badder than the first.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
Was there anybody representing the formula desert lite aka Pilot class at this meeting? It would be nice to know we aren't "excluded" like what happened with that other bunch in Texas???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000