Baja Racing of Texas First race has 10 entries!

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
No worries David I got your back. This was a board meeting to tie up a few ends on the last race and to kick off plans for the Oct. race. The FDL class will continue to fall under the UTV class as group but you all will have your own pro class to run with. I like to think I'm representing the group well and I will do everything I can to keep it fair and try and grow the class. The only rule change for FDL I put in was we make it a run what you brung as far as differen types of cars. Unless the class gets big enough to divide it up we will run all the FDL's together. Where as we are dividing the Pro UTVs in two classes. 0-800 CC and 801- unlimited. I hope the FDL class grows big enogh to have to split it. We are changing the UTV cage requirment a little, and yes it is directly because of the accident with the pole jumping out in front of the driver with the new Polaris XP. I'm a big proponent of safety and all of us as racers want everyone to be safe. If you ever have any thing at all good, bad, or indiferent my phone is always on, unless I'm putting the baby to sleep.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
I know you have our back, but I already disagree with you! (Imagine that lol)
If we are going to pay a "pro" entry fee, we want to compete against a large number of people... Not just one or two of us! This is the biggest reason brian and I were so upset at how the last race was started! We were "racing" against the whole PRO-UTV class but we got started behind several (all but 1) sportsman class!!! ( And we caught her in the first mile!!!) I think you and the govonor were the last one to start after the triple EEE and Pilot right! She had tail lights ONLY!!!
I am not sure what happened at the fence with the one guy who broke a collar bone, but from what I heard he sideswiped a fence and t-boned his utv on a fence post??? If so I don't think a big ass pipe fence post buried 6-8 feet deep stood a chance against that big ol utv!!! All kidding aside I believe doors and wrist restraints/nets are the biggest must have the sportsman class should have! We have to keep this accesible to the "beginers!!!" The guys like the xp's! Work a deal with the dealers where they have the doors and nets available for those who want to race, without spending $$$$ on a roll cage! When they get a taste of the action, then they will start modding their rides! My experience rolling around in the Beal's rzr-s with doors, I only wished they had hand restraints!!! Should be permanantly mounted to every one sold just like the Honda Pilots and Odyssey's had!

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
Thats right. Simple and safe, but sometimes safe comes with a price. I agree with everything you said David, and so does the board. Give me a call Friday and I will be happy to go over anything you want I'd love all your input and ideas. But tonight I'm zapped so give me a call in the morning. That goes for any BRT racer
325-669-2860

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
These people have had a VERY SUCCESSFUL program for decades... The last two years have seen low turnouts but I am sure it is from the economy more than anything I have seen...
Simple enough rules and includes EVERYBODY... Even the Joynors (china lites)...
With the New 900xp's out they just put them in the 300 class... BUT this will eventually change or be split to engine cc's A stock rzr-s ain't no where near as fast, much less stock rhino...
I really see the XP's being a big class in the future, Heck I wouldn't mind having one... I haven't looked at their cage design, but I would bet it is lawsuit proof... Add Wrist restraints and a fire extenquisher and it's ready to race...
keep in simple/safe...

http://www.whiplashracing.com/Rulebooks/utvrules.pdf
WHIPLASH 2009 UTV RULES
STOCK CLASS: this is an all factory base model side-by-side unit.
Units must be in stock trim as they would be in a dealer ship
(Rev boxes, pipes, tuners, clutch mod’s and shocks are NOT Legal)

SUPER STOCK
: this is a class for all factory performance side-by-side units

1. The unit must retain stock wheel base
2. Aftermarket shocks are legal
3. Bolt on cages are legal
SPORT MOD

: this is a class for all modified factory built units

1. These units may run any motor 1000cc or less
I believe they added an R-1 class since these were written
2. All cages must be weld on by 08/01/2009 with proper gussets
3. Maximum wheel base 115†by 72â€
4. Single seat units are legal (Red Line, Pilot, Custom, etc.)
PRO MOD

: same rules as above, Pro Entry Fee and Pay Back

BAJA PRO

: this is a class for highly modified units with CVT system

1. All cars must meet the minimum weight of 1400 lbs less driver and finish the
race no less than 1320 lbs less driver
2. All cars must meet the minimum tubing size and proper gusseting
3. All cars must have 1 blue, 1flashing yellow, 1 solid yellow and 2 brake lights
all safety lights must be a minimum of 40†above the ground and come on with ignition
4. Roll cage must meet the general chasse section of the truck and buggy rules
All vehicles competing in this division must meet the following basic conditions;
ROLL OVER PROTECTION
All vehicles must have a

ROLL CAGE substantial enough to protect the DRIVER and

or CO DRIVER

in the event of a HIGH SPEED ROLL OVER.

1)All roll cages must be welded together (bolted areas can remain bolted but must be
welded too)
2)Roll cages must feature triangulated braces designed to keep the cage from collapsing
during END OVER END and or BARREL ROLL incidences
3)Roll Cages must include a METAL ROOF and at least TWO ways for a DRIVER or
CO-DRIVER to exit the car.
4) WINDOW NETS that will keep the Driver and Co Drivers hands and arms inside the
vehicle must be in place with working latches on either the top or bottom of the nets
SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION
All vehicles must have a combination of tubes and or metal plate substantial
enough to protect the DRIVER or PASSENGER from a side impact.
FIRE PROTECTION
All Vehicles must have a properly mounted fuel cell
1) FUEL CELL must be protected from puncture from rear impact and or roll over
2) A FIRE EXTINGUISHER or FIRE SYSTEM fully charged and easy to find reach
and operate my Driver, Co-driver or rescue workers in a emergency.
DRIVERS SAFETY
1)

HELMETS, All Drivers and Co-Drivers must wear a DOT / SNELL certified

helmet free from cracks, chips, or deep scratches.
2) EYE PROTECTION Motor Cycle type Goggles or Visor type Eye protection
built into full-face helmets.
3) DRIVING SUITS, MINIMUM single layer Nomex type driving suits.
4) SEAT BELTS, MINIMUM 4 point belts, and shoulder harness are required.
They must be in excellent working condition and no more than 5 years old.
5) Minimum 1 rear facing yellow light that turns on with ignition.
UTV CLASSES NUMBERS
*STOCK (310 to 399)
*SUPER STOCK (210 to 299)
SPORT MODIFIED ( 110 to 199)
PRO MODIFIED (10 to 99)
BAJA PRO (1800 TO 1999)
CHINA LIGHTS (800cc or LESS) (510 to 599)

CHINA SUPERS (801cc to 1600) (410 to 499)

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
The changes have been made. The web guy will have them up on the BRT website any time now. As soon as they are I will post them here as well. Also, as I said if anyone has any questions or complaints please feel free to give me a call.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
The changes have been made. The web guy will have them up on the BRT website any time now. As soon as they are I will post them here as well. Also, as I said if anyone has any questions or complaints please feel free to give me a call.
I quess we will have to see the rules before we ccan "question" them! I just hope they dont go down the same path as EDR...
I hate to see this change from a good thing to a more restrictive thing!
Stx-atv.com always had a good turnout in the utv races they had. Too bad they went under...
I

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
Your and your car will be fine. We added a few safe gaurds to all classes and that is all that will effect you. Such as a new rule "MAY" be you have to add another fire extinguisher to the rear of the car that can be used by a person outside the car. Like I said "MAY"
As far as the EDR thing I say just show up at the next race, they need racers, I bet you would get in.

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
Hey David, did you come up with any companies you would like me to get with for contingency for FDL? I don't know who you guys are getting parts from?

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
Who's going to the New Mexico Race?

http://www.nmorl.com/
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sho...CO-DE-BAJA-150

I will be making this race with my #2 Toyhauler (peterbilt and heavy haul trailer) I lost a load going to the whiplashracing.com race at the last minute, so I am headed here a few days early! Looking at the Google earth the area loks to be very wide open and fast!!! I wish I had a tire groover so clean up my taller tires, but the 26" will have to do...​

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
The outside fire squirter is something I have, as should everyone... I even have one inside next to me in case...
We need to find a "sponsor" of sorts that has these available at the race so that those who are new can "rent or buy" one at a good price... have them on site will save a lot of last minute modifications...

Your and your car will be fine. We added a few safe gaurds to all classes and that is all that will effect you. Such as a new rule "MAY" be you have to add another fire extinguisher to the rear of the car that can be used by a person outside the car. Like I said "MAY"
As far as the EDR thing I say just show up at the next race, they need racers, I bet you would get in.

turbotexas

Jan 22, 2011
Hey David, did you come up with any companies you would like me to get with for contingency for FDL? I don't know who you guys are getting parts from?
Sorry I missed this...
Try TeamTech Motorsports
They make nets for the pilots, triple eee and all the briggs built cars back in the day... They also have belts/harnesses and the tucker neck brace thing...
As far as actual "parts" go they are few and far between... Most are 2 strokes so a good oil is always handy, but heck everyone has their fav's and stick to that... TIRES, HID Lights, wheels OMF call Bones!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000