Berts UTV Wildcat X "BATTLE OF THE BUILDERS"

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
As to the build, I think there are a bunch of really clean and trick wildcat builds out there like the Pro-Armor cars and the Wildcat Willy guys but one of the challenges here is to stay within the parameters of something that can be sold as a new vehicle on the showroom floor with bolt on parts. I would love to be able to cut this thing up and build a super trick race car, but that would be tough to sell on the dealership floor with a warranty as a brand new vehicle!
So what are the goals or guidelines for this build...? All bolt-on? American Chopper Style? lol The builds should showcase their talents, not just purchasing skills.... right?
My guess is each will build their own bolt on cage, use bolt on accessories from the same vendor/manufactures we all get our stuff from, lay some colorful vinyl down and call it "Custom".

Like SDR said this will be sold at a dealership. Really how wild can you get? You have to keep it affordable so someone will pay for it. The type of guy looking to buy this probably does not know much about the sport and will pay top dollar for something already done that looks cooler & racier then stock.

Jessie James would call this "Cake Decoration".

IMO there are two ways of having a real build off. One is no holds bar and build the best UTV you can in a specified time frame. Budget is unlimited as you are building it on your shops dime.

Two would have a few set perimeters. One being cost. Know what the max you are suppose to spend, and two what the selling price for the UTV is going to be. At that point it is up to the builders to figure out how wild & creative they can get, but still stay within a budget. They then know if they spend more, they risk loosing money when it is sold.

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
sounds like a good idea... If you guys decide to throw another build off let us know at IMG Motorsports too, we are always willing to put fresh ideas out there. Good luck to both teams and let see some progress : )

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
ha.... our Team Scranton Boys/Pro Armor Wildcat is not badass...?
You must be my biggest fan Bruce :D, always quick to jump my shit. Not sure how my personal opinion regarding a build off turned into a direct question about your Scranton Boys Wildcat. I will agree, the original Wildcat that Pro Armor built was super sweet. Prob the BEST one to date in my opinion. But since your asking for my opinion on the new Scranton built car I will be honest and say that I am not a fan. Hope we can be friends now.

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
You must be my biggest fan Bruce :D, always quick to jump my shit. Not sure how my personal opinion regarding a build off turned into a direct question about your Scranton Boys Wildcat. I will agree, the original Wildcat that Pro Armor built was super sweet. Prob the BEST one to date in my opinion. But since your asking for my opinion on the new Scranton built car I will be honest and say that I am not a fan. Hope we can be friends now.

It's all good Dan. I am a fan of your work since the old days when I saw you enter the market while we were in to racing at the M4SX & UTVcross Series at Elsinore!

First you said you have not seen a good Wildcat build and now you say you do like our Cat build or builds...? I'm confused, oh well.

I also understand if you like the 1st version Wildcat we built, since it has ALL bolt-on parts. Funny because that Cat was my favorite too, until I got to build another Cat... lol. Have you built a Wildcat yet....? Just wondering.

One other thing..... I personally, do not like to have 2 "fully custom builds" that are the same. Very few here can say that. My work is proven, I am just hoping to see some more badass Wildcats hits the dirt. I love to push for new creations and innovative designs, because patterns are just too boring. It was never personal and hope no one is hurt. You would know if it was personal... haha

By the way, I thought we were friends... lol

This "X Build Off" is going to be VERY interesting..... can't wait for pics of the progress...!

fatnbald

Aug 24, 2011
The end result of the build is intended to be something that appeals to a shopper at a retail level. and while we both have the ability send it to the moon for the rite amount of money, it will primarily be bolt on custom stuff as tim and i are not none for building stuff you can but in a package a ship off.
we are still a couple days away from progress, this moving stuff is garbage.

Attachments

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Let's hope someone will be creative here. It sounds like it is gonna be the same thing we already see displayed at dealers....?

Let me make a prediction with these cars. They will probably be standard bolt-ons with a cool wrap though....? Or custom color powder coat... lol

Let's not have this be too "Fast n' Loud" haha

#controversysells #lovecompetition

SDR

SDR - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 6, 2009
Im not one to usually get involved in internet arguments, but you guys need to chill out. This whole thing is just a bit of fun from two different shops that do a lot of buisness with a great dealership. Its all in fun, so chill...

So,BrArmor, your either saying that both us and Desertworks as a shop are not capable of building something shall we say, "At your level" or you are saying that this whole thing is a joke because we are just bolting on parts? Pick one.

and Nikal, that's spelled JESSE JAMES.

We are building the cage here in house. We are doing all of our aluminum in house, and we are building our own doors in house.

From there it is a collection of bolt on accessories (sold to the very same people who pay for you to have a job BTW) that we will install here in our shop.

If this constitutes "Cake Decorating" then I stand guilty as charged.

Sorry this build is not a full blown race car.... maybe next time ehh?

anyway, here are a few pics of us decorating our cake.

Attachments

Dgoffroad

DG Offroad - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jul 6, 2012
Ontario, CA
www.dgrhinos.com
Im not one to usually get involved in internet arguments, but you guys need to chill out. This whole thing is just a bit of fun from two different shops that do a lot of buisness with a great dealership. Its all in fun, so chill...

So,BrArmor, your either saying that both us and Desertworks as a shop are not capable of building something shall we say, "At your level" or you are saying that this whole thing is a joke because we are just bolting on parts? Pick one.

We are building the cage here in house. We are doing all of our aluminum in house, and we are building our own doors in house.

From there it is a collection of bolt on accessories (sold to the very same people who pay for you to have a job BTW) that we will install here in our shop.

Well said Tim

Davin-- DG Offroad Center

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Lookin good cake decorator!! lol

LaDSM

Jul 15, 2012
It is looking better already, Cake Decorating No Way, being the first couple of shops to set the bar really high and creating a whole new aftermarket set of products to sell is awesome. This R&D will be the design basis and copied for many garage builds and Craigslist sellers for the next few years.

Cant wait to see the finished products. I can hear twisted stitch, crow belts, Pro Armor, ITP, Method, STI, PRP and the rest of the manufactures drooling because when people buy these guys cages, all the accessories will be next, Imagine if the economy was good right now how awesome the sales would be.

LaDSM

Jul 15, 2012
This is gonna be a cool battle, I am gonna be torn, Tim has built everything for me in the past, Desertworks has always been one of my favorite designs of cages and stuff, and Davin from DG is my neighbor, hope he get to battle in Round 2

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Love the controversy...!! Haha don't worry guys I'm not in this competition, just keeping the competitors on their toes and on their "A-Game".... somebody has to. I would not expect any less towards me our my work @scranton_boys on Instagram.

Looks good SDR!

Desertworks... did you start yet? I'm sure your still super busy moving!

fatnbald

Aug 24, 2011
Tim- I call dibs on pink fondant and those little silver ball bearings you can eat

Ladsm- thank you, aNd while this would seem to be a great opportunity for product development, the pace of the build will most likely not allow for fixturing. but, there are some distinct differences between this one and the previouse so we will not just be drilling bigger holes in our old cage, we are starting fresh.

Bro armor- yesterday I dropped all move related tasks, ran four hundred feet of SO chord and air hose from the old to new building and started slangin tube. Develeloping a new design so initial progress will be slow. Five bends on four planes Would challenge even a builder of your caliber, but I will have progress shots Monday. ....... Backspace over confrontational statement............. Welcome the opportunity to compete.

Art-get some rest

All- enjoy your Holliday and your families

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000