Best GPS for racing these days?

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I have come to the point that I need to buy a GPS for my racer.. I know that Lowrance is in about every desert race vehicle out there..and I'm sure that's for a reason but I have been doing a little homework and it looks like Garmin has put out some pretty decent hardware lately..especially the 4000 series..Id like to hear the pros and cons of each brand from you all out there that are using them..

The two models Im looking at hard are the Lowrance HDS7m and the
Garmin 4008

Thoughts?

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
I'm certainly no GPS expert and have pretty much only used Lowrance. That being said, I'd definately verify that downloads from PCI will work on whatever you buy...it's no fun not having the race download!:eek:

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I'm certainly no GPS expert and have pretty much only used Lowrance. That being said, I'd definately verify that downloads from PCI will work on whatever you buy...it's no fun not having the race download!:eek:
I took your advice and just called PCI .. spoke to Scott the owner and he explained why the Lowrance is still the only real choice for GPS.. when it come to file types (especially when it comes to downloads from BITD and SCORE) and a few others things that will important down the road...so I bought the HDS 7 and added the much needed external antenna...yeah and the detailed Western US map and sure...the map of Baja too...and I know they provide great support at the races for the GPS customers.

Last edited:

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
My KOH download didnt work either..... Not sure if it was a compatibility issue with our GPS.....

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
I took your advice and just called PCI .. spoke to Scott the owner and he explained why the Lowrance is still the only real choice for GPS.. when it come to file types (especially when it comes to downloads from BITD and SCORE) and a few others things that will important down the road...so I bought the HDS 7 and added the much needed external antenna...yeah and the detailed Western US map and sure...the map of Baja too...and I know the provide great support at the races for the GPS customers.
Glad to hear it worked out.

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
I just put the new Elite and I tested this week. Seems to be just as good as the regular HD we used before. I like the price

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000