Can someone please tell me WTF happend to Speed Channel???

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
So I tune to good ol' 607 on Direct TV only to find my favorite channel is switched to FOX Sports 1??? This channel plays UFC, boxing, baseball, etc...... Someone needs to let the jock strap wearing base runners know this is no damn replacement for speed channel!! Is this only a Direct TV thing or has everyone experienced the same?

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Same on Dish. Also a new Fox Sports 2 channel. I believe Speed still exists but may no longer be carried by the providers.

Speed channel was a Fox product but they didn't get much money for it. It looks like Fox wants to go head to head with ESPN.

Don't know what's going to happen with their Nascar coverage.

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
Fox decided months ago to screw us all. They own the rights to speed and have for years now. Instead of building a new channel to compete with ESPN they used Speed channel as its already in 90 million households. FS1 is Speeds replacement and FS2 is Versus replacement. Hopefully MavTV will step up to the plate and become the new speed channel or revive it as speed vision.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Fuel disappeared from DTV also but at least NBCS has picked up some of the slack with the AMA Motocross and F-1.

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
I was thinking this is a great opportunity for MAV TV also, or Maybe UTV Underground channel..... just sayin.. I would love to see a lower budget channel that covers Lucas, Torc, BITD in prime time spots. Then fill in with race coverage from across the US, WORKS, Regional MX Nationals, Flat Track Moto, Boat racing, other Lucas Races, Lawnmower racing, whatever...

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
SPEED is now Fox Sports 1. Fox has owned SPEED for several years. The change has been in the works for more then a year. The reason for the change is all major networks are seeing the value in owning a Sports only channel. NBC just did it last year, and Fox is following suit.

The reason FOX did not start a new Fox Sports channel and leave SPEED alone is the fact starting a new Channel can take years to get on all the different Cable providers systems. Also the cost is in the Billions $$ as you are creating a whole new channel # which has to be added to the line up. You will end up on a very high number and on a premium pay package, before ever getting on the basic or expanded TV packages. This is on top of all the marketing and advertizing revenue that has to be sold before you ever hit the air waves.

Here is a perfect example of this. The hugely successful Oprah Windfrey wanted to start her own channel. Remember when she had the Oprah Windfrey show they were turning down Advertizing sponsors as they did not have enough time slots to fill them.

In 2008 Oprah partnered with Discovery Channel Communications. In order to get "Shelf" space on the cable networks line ups, Discovery converted the Discovery Health Channel into OWN. On top of this Discovery invested well over $300 Million, in an already established channel. It has taken the OWN network close to 5 years to start turning a profit as they have claimed to do this year. At last tally OWN owed Discovery more then $500 Million in loans.

In this time they have laid off high paid celebrity's who had shows on OWN, Oprah herself has had to creat two shows for the network and last I read OWN was making deals with network & producers, offering small equity stake in the channel for their shows or made for TV movies vs. buying the shows.

If it is this hard for Oprah & Discovery Channel to start a brand new network, can you imagine how hard it would be for someone like Fox or NBC to start a ground up Sports channel? This is why they buy existing networks on current Cable Providers lineups and change them to their desired programing.

NASCAR toyed with idea of starting a NASCAR TV channel, but in the end realized why would have to be a pay channel to cover the expenses and very few NASCAR loyalists are going to actually pay to watch their favorite sport. How many have the NFL Channel? If the NFL cant make it work, then no single sport can. Thus why SPEED had to have stupid TV shows like Wreckers or Pinks. Those bring in more advertizing dollars vs a short course race which was paid for by the shows own advertisers and not the networks.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So you're telling me there's a chance!!!!

This blows, I'm over cable we need more internet TV.
The huge loss is Wind Tunnel. Dave Despain was awesome hosting an open forum like that. It's now "commercial" time!" Fox wants their piece of the sports channel pie. I heard on the radio that espn now gets 5 bucks per household it is in, with out the recipient even caring for the channel! Cha-ching!! They said fox is now at about .45/household. NBC though, now they impressed me with their efforts. Great web site, with easy access to their coverage (video replay), and great live shows like motocross and the like. Good for them-good for us!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000