COGNITO LT & EASTER @ SAND MOUNTAIN REPORT

FBT

This is a trip report, and a report on my experience with the new Cognito Fox RC2 LT kit on my 08 Teryx.<O:p</O:p
Short version…it works; it works like crazy, and has a smile-per-dollar value that makes the Teryx a different animal, one worth owning. There is absolutely zero chance I’d ever have a UTV without this set up and these shocks ever again<O:p</O:p
For the details, and especially you fellows who enjoy a good tale, read on. This is a long post, but telling it like a story as if we were standing around a campfire is my style, I hope you enjoy it.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Other than the 3 or 4 times I’ve seen a foot or so of snow out there, or temps in the teens, this was high on the misery index for the worst weather we’ve ever had at Sand Mountain.<ST1:p</ST1:p The wind and rain dominated the weekend. Wind averaged about 35 MPH and didn’t even let up in the evenings. Weather is an issue on the road, too, as we cross Interstate 80 <ST1:pDonner Pass</ST1:p to get out there and back home. I it was snowing and blowing on both legs of the trip.<O:p</O:p
Since I’ve been going out there for 25ish years, I know that trying to ride in conditions like that is not fun. So, I had to curb my excitement about testing the Cognito Long Travel for awhile, and we just went ahead and got camp set up with our friends, but my stomach was churning…I wanted to make a run. Finally, the wind slowed to about 20 and I went for it.<O:p</O:p
Jim from Cognito had suggested that I put two more clicks into the high speed compression, moving that to 14 total and “just drive it, feel it out”, leaving the other settings at 12, the mid-point on the Fox RC2’s which is how they are delivered. So I did, two more clicks to 14 on the HSC.<O:p</O:p
The sand was rough.<O:p</O:p
I took off, and after making sure everything was happy I got on it and could instantly tell the system worked. Awesome stuff. Seeing your front wheels absorbing the ruff stuff while you are cruising along is cool. A major improvement…these shocks respond to input for real, gentlemen.<O:p</O:p
Then the rain came. And more wind. <O:p</O:p
We parked everything for the night, and the next morning the wind was still about 20 MPH and the sand soft and rough, and I took my wife Cindy for a short ride. She liked it, she said.<O:p</O:p
We went back to camp and I started reading the little book the shocks came with. I put it, and a pen in the glove box so i could remember what I was ding as I adjusted, and be able to go back to a previous adjustment if I wanted to. I put two more clicks into the HSC, making 14 total.<O:p</O:p
The next morning, more insane wind. Our group, consisting of our dear friends John and Melody in their stock suspended Rhino and their son Jason and his wife Bree in their stock Teryx decided we were gonna ride, dang it, and took off anyway. We were hoping to find a place to get out of this wind.<O:p</O:p
I aired down a little more because the sand was soft.<O:p</O:p
Remember I said that.<O:p</O:p
Later on went through some whoops and I could easily blow by everyone.<O:p</O:p
Here is something else to think about for you guys wondering how this stuff helps.<O:p</O:p
These machines ain’t exactly overpowered, and with the stock suspension I frequently had to lift off the throttle on a hill because it’d buck like a bronc and I can’t take that.With this set up, you can keep your foot in it and keep your momentum up. This is a huge change in driving style, and you are not beating on your machine to make a hill.<O:p</O:p
I jumped out, whipped out my ratchet, and put in two more clicks on the HSC, up to 16.<O:p</O:p
We took off again, and we got out into a valley where there are trails with ¼ mile long sections of whoops. I let the guys get out ahead of me to a predetermined stopping point.
Then, we took off. I kept pushing down, and it kept taking the whoops like they were not even there. Awesome. Huge grin appears on face, wife yells "that's it".
A rock appears. Not a big one, aout the size of a baseball. I can't correct quiclky enough and hit it.
A loud bang.
We get to our friends, stop everyone is hollering about how cool it was. Nothing seems amiss, we take off again.
This time, through a 2 mile technical section that you do about 2 MPH through, and we stop again after we get out of it.
As soon as I get out I see the left rear is flat.
I pull out my little 19.2v pump, and see immediately it ain't filling. I stick my head in and look at the inside of the tire and rim.
see a 6-8 inch chunk of the rim near the bead is gone. Well, heck, that'll sure keep her from filling, eh?
Crud.
We are about 3 miles from camp at this point. My pal Jason fires up and does the Gumball rally back to camp grabs my spare and we get it on and back in and find camp in a full on sandstorm. We call it a night. This morning I heard on the radio that the wind, which was down, was gonna return with a vengance by noon, so we all start packing. I put my other stock rear on ad take my son for a ride. At his insistence, we scope out a dune ridge and a place for a landing to try a jump. I am new at this mind you, but I guuess I got carried away in the moment. We hit the top of the ridge doing about 48 MPH indicated. The car leaves the earth, travels about 15 feet while in the air 3 or 4 feet.
The landing was a smooth as glass. Simply unreal. Amazing. I don't have words to describe it. I am not a "racer" and will not be jumping this thing as a habit but it is very nice to know that a misjudged dune is not going to rattle my teeth out.
Pictures?
Crud. We took them, several, but the camera didn't work. My son does have a couple of video clips and I will get some stills off of them and will get a pic of the broken rim up here in the next day or two. I gotta work on locating another rim this week. I am also thinking about researching the electric-assist power steering, the wider stance of the car makes increases steering effort, in deep sand. It isn't insurmountable, but P.S. would be nice.
I've also got an intermitent wierd "whine" coming from the CVT area when stopped, in gear, every once in awhile. Put it in neutral, it goes away. My friends 09 "rex is doing it every once in awhile now, too. Put it back in gear, it is fine til it comes back an hour or two later. Very inconsistent. I am thinking the shifter tower problem is rearing it's head and will make some changes to that before the next trip.

Summary:
Cognito Long Travel with Fox RC2 shocks is absolutely, without a doubt the best mod I have ever made, it makes this machine an entirely different animal and I wouldnt hesitate to tell ayone considering this mod to go for it; it'll change your machine, it'll increase your enjoyment of it and you simply cannot go wrong. These shocks are unreal, I am still fiddling with them but think I am close. I have not touched the rebound yet. Perhaps the best indication of how good this is...my back never hurt all weekend. When we did ride we worked it, did things that I simply could not do before, and now I can not only do them, but do them without heading for more than the normal pain control meds. This is huge for me, changes everything.

Last edited:

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
nice report, the guys at cognito know what there doing that is for sure.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
WOW!!! Jeff Im so excited to hear that the ride was good enough to keep you doing something you love so much....DUNING!! I felt like I went out on a limb telling you that you should be able to go out a beat on this thing without any back pains...I know eveyone I have sold one of our kits too has been extremely pleased with the way our kit works...but I have never sold a kit to anyone with as much back pain as you.....Nor has anyone ever bought a kit to keep themselfs from having back pains while riding! Now start planning future ENJOYABLE trips to the dunes!!!!

FBT

Jim, thanks...thanks for everything. The kit is everything you said it was and more.
I will sing it's praises all over the net in the coming days. The underground is home, tho, and this is where I wanted to share the story, not just the facts.
I think we have it dialed pretty close, if the flipping weather up here turns to spring soon we will go again and confirm it. i need to source another ITP ss112 rim, can't remember how wide mine are but I will get it fixed.

Rappy, when you get out there and start fiddling with the shocks go in two-click increments. don't be afraid to do it with a ratchet, you can both hear and feel the "click", it obvious when it happens.

I am glad you guys are enjoying the read.

FBT

LOL thanks John. I really appreciate that info, always wonder about these CVT deals, I will sleep better tonight with your info. LT is outrageous, the most fun I have had in the sand since the mountain was always smooth and my hillshooter was new, and my back was good.
Brother you didn't miss a thing up there weather wise...miserable.
50 had chaiin control this am.
Lots more peoples than i thought, rangers playing their usual game, worthless when it comes to help but right on your tail checking your pass, on the way in, driving through camp,and yeah, even on your way out.
Then, they were gone yesterday by noon.
I try not to think about them to much, it just makes my BP go up

We are gonna try to go again here in a few weeks, when I get my wheel replaced.

FBT

Thanks guys.
Joey, I think the sand killed our camera.
My son may have some, and his girlfriend took a couple. I will try to collect them but it could take some time as they are in Reno and work 6 days a week.
I am really gad you guys enjoyed it, i was worried it'd be too long-winded.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000