CT Racing Maverick Build

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We're starting with the Maverick XRS model. Our goal is to have a reliable racer using mostly bolt on parts that the average guy can buy off the shelf minus some safety things that we don't feel comfortable bolting on. A handful of these pieces we produce.
We took it straight out of the crate, put 2.5 hours on it to see what it does and then tore it down.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We stripped down about half way to we what we're dealing with and I was pretty impressed with the majority of it.

The first thing that we did was getting power steering on the way. Wicked Built was the way the go so I wouldn't get the steering wheel ripped out of my hands.

Next we replaced a big weak link on the Mavericks with our CT Racing front and rear Tie Rods. We use the best parts on the market. On big problem that we fixed in the rear is the oversized frame hole. Can Am sends them out with 10mm bolts that fit very loose so ours replace them with 7/16 bolts that fit perfect with no drilling.
http://www.carolinatruggies.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=300

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We got help from Maxxis this year and we're running the 30x10r14 big horn. I've been a pretty loyal fan of the big horns but if we have problems ill make a switch over to the 30" Mongrel. HiPer is also helping us out this year with some 14" double beadlock wheels. I think the 30s are very proportional on the Maverick and fit well.

The tire at full bump with the factory bumper removed from the shaft. It barely touches so contact is possible but unlikely with the bump re installed.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
The roll cage is one of the most important things for me. Since my wife co dogs for me I have to make sure she stays safe during all the races and when we're goofing off on the trails. We went to a slightly smaller tube than stock so we went from 2" to 1.75" .095 4130 chromoly. We also tried to give it a little bit more aggressive look by racking back the a pillar more and lowering the cage about 3.5". It had just the look I was going for.

We'll add solid doors to it but this is very similar to how we plan on producing our Maverick cages as they won't drop the full 3.5".

This is our winch bumper that we produce and we'll add one to ours once I get some thinner chromo in to lighten it up as much as possible.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
The Maverick 2.5 shocks are a decent built shock out of the box but the valving in them is terrible. The rebound is way too fast which is pretty typical of production shocks and they cheaped out in several areas. The shock pistons flow less oil than the 2.0 pistons and a lot less than the 2.0 race piston.
We decided to take the pistons out of the 2.5 bypass and coilover shocks and use them in the Maverick XRS shocks. That was the plan at least. When the pistons came in we realized that Fox changed the ID and OD in the shocks from a 2.310 ID to 2.250 ID which pissed me off. So we chucked it up in the lathe and made it work in these shocks. We also got away from the single rate spring and went to a dual rate spring. I wanted a slightly lower combined spring rate than factory to help soak up some of the square edge bumps but once it goes to the single rate the spring rate jumps up a good amount but not so much that our rebound valving can't control it. With our adjuster set in the right place it should also help us with body roll.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
Can Am doesn't have the best track record with clutching on the Mavericks so I called Kris at Cold Blooded Performance and he got me set up with a QSC primary and STM secondary to get it dialed in for the larger 30" tire. We needed something more responsive and something reliable. We also dropped some weight here as well which should help us off the line. The STM parts are a work of art.

JRock

Feb 22, 2011
Nice build! I look forward to see how it turns out. Those 30" BH's do look good on the Maverick!

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
Both of the seats are in now. The drivers seat is down about 4" and rocked back about 10 degrees. The passenger seat is down about 2" and rocked back roughly the same. The drivers seat is held in with 3 quick release pins as the 4th tab had to be cut off due to the primary cover. The passenger seat is also held in with 3 quick release pins as the filler neck doesn't allow the right rear tab to be mounted. The drivers sub frame is bolt in as we'll so it can be removed in case a belt has to be changed on the track and will only add about 3 minutes to the swap which is much faster than pulling plastic.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
I'm not sure, I didn't run the first ECORS race down there. This will be a 4 hour race though and it won't have many jumps. More of an endurance race. We're definitely running the Maverick down there. After driving it today with the new clutch setup it absolutely rips so I'm looking forward to having it on a track for the first time.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012

Door skins that we'll use for one race. The top tube will stay and we'll fill it in and change a couple things. I'm really happy the way it's turned out so far, hopefully it performs well on the track.

Timberdog

Aug 23, 2010
I thought that Mavericks strong points were clutching and suspension. For the price that's disappointing. Nice progress on the build and good info.

hontrx265r

Feb 27, 2012
car looks good but, I personally think the cage is raked back a little too extreme. Just my opinion, but all is worth considering. makes it look like it was rolled over and crushed down from the start.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000