Desert Toyz Racing Team 2013 Mint 400

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
Desert Toyz Racing Team places 5<SUP>th </SUP>in Pro UTV , 1<SUP>st</SUP> in DSR1 and 4<SUP>th</SUP> in Sportsman. Cory Sappington team owner had 5 UTVs racing on his team at the Mint 400. Cory and teammate Eric Fitch drove the 1904 Can-Am Maverick in Pro UTV, Brad Griego and Carlo Caya driving the 1979 Pro DSR1, Jeff Kary and Terri Kary driving the 1980 Pro DSR1, Jim Sharp and Seth Boutilier driving the 1997, rental, Can-Am Commander in Sportsman UTV, Chris Edwards and Knox driving the 1986 Polaris RZR 900 in Sportsman UTV. The Desert Toyz Racing team would be the largest team to compete in the UTV/DSR1 class at the Mint.
Cory and Eric’s race plan was to drive their Maverick at only 70% and focus on finishing the brutal Mint 400 course. With very little time to prep and test the Maverick, a finish was more important to winning a championship. Elka Suspension sent Cory there new Maverick shocks, Wow what a difference they made. The stock Maverick suspension worked 100% better with the Elka shocks. Cory and Eric drove a clean race with the exception of 1 flat tire. Cory did lose the brakes at mile 70 and drove to the main pit with no brakes! It was a loose line that caused the brakes to fail. We fixed that at the driver change at main pit. The Maverick has sooo much torque and really fun to drive. While the other Maverick teams chose to install aftermarket suspension Cory’s Maverick still has all the stock suspension parts. Cory will use the 6 weeks between The Mint and Silver State to dial his Maverick in and will be racing for the win at the Silver State 300 on May 4. Follow us on line at www.racetheworld.net.
Most of the other UTV/DSR1s on the Desert Toyz Racing Team all had pretty good day. The 1979 took 1<SUP>st</SUP> in DSR1. The 1980 DSR1 hit a boulder and DNFed. The 1997 Can-Am Commander Sportsman UTV had 4 flat tires and still managed a 4<SUP>th</SUP> place. The new 1986 Polaris RZR 900 driven by Chris Edwards got a lap and ½ in then broke both rear axles. This was the first desert race for Chris, being from Arkansas he had never ever driven in the desert! Look for the Desert Toyz Race Team at the next BITD event the Silver State 300.

Desert Toyz Cory S

DeSeRt ToYz RhInO - UTVUnderground Approved
Aug 23, 2009
That was not my tire. My rental had 1904 stamped on his wheels. I did not loose or leave any tires on the track. I will call BITD on monday and try to get that fixxed. My rental ran 12" wheels and I ran 14" wheels, hopefully it will get straightened out.

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
That was not my tire. My rental had 1904 stamped on his wheels. I did not loose or leave any tires on the track. I will call BITD on monday and try to get that fixxed. My rental ran 12" wheels and I ran 14" wheels, hopefully it will get straightened out.
maybe that is your pentalty for driving with no brakes for 29 miles :confused:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Is there a rule that says you have to stop moving if you lose brakes?

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
Brakes must be in a safe working condition and be able to apply adequate force to
lock up all four

tires. Brakes must be in a safe operating condition during the entire
event. If brake system

problems do occur during the event they must be repaired
before co
ntinuing in competition.

Turning or steering brakes are not permitted
unless specified in class rules.

My interpretation of this is ENTIRE EVENT

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
If I could not repair it on the spot I would attempt to make it to the next pit if it is reasonbly possible.I think most racers would as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000