Excessive Nerfing at the Mint 400.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Matt, I heard you clocked numbers of 80mph on the lake bed in the new car?? True????
No not on the lake bed, but in that range on the paved road leading onto the lake bed. But, I (we) can't brag and can only say congrats to my friend Murry(s) for bringing 'er home. They seem to like HenerJean!

The brand new JX Bobsled, Polaris XP 900+ 4 seater - 2, was fun, fast and has lots of potential.

See everyone at the Silver State 300. Can we get 30 Ute's again?

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Matt, from what we saw the bobsled 2 can haul the mail and some.... We had the same issue w/ people not watching the mirrors and horns going for a long while too. We need to find a system w in cab lights when you have someone near. With the engines in cab, parker pumps, helmets,etc I just dont think the horns are being heard. Also talked w the riot guys and they were super cool and were amazed how a few utvs were moving at the pace they were. We saw them coming up, just fun to play w them for a short while. Look foward to seeing you all at ss. It will be here before we know it.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I love hearing that UTV's are nerfing other / bigger vehicles to move!! lol It sucks to hear of some of you getting nerfed out of the way. I find it difficult to think that another vehicle would run up on you and not use its horn before hitting? I will stress this to all of you who race a UTV in the desert. Your Co-Driver has 1 job he has to be good at, and that is living in the rear view mirror. Your Co-Driver MUST see and hear the vehicle moving up on you. Its hard in dusty situations I know.

A few racers of larger vehicles have now contacted me and said, dude, I am sorry but some of those UTV's out there are just plain dangerous because they are so slow and they do not move over when we come up on them. One guy told me he followed a Rhino for a while that refused to move or acknowledge he was there, this was after he flashed lights and sounded the siren. He was forced to bump and a light bump for a truck could feel like a full on thrashing to a UTV.

Some of the UTV's that are racing are not running very swift paces when you compare them to the other vehicles on course so consider their standpoint as they too are racing for a win in their class. Last thing they want is to be held up by someone who is oblivious to the fact that a bigger faster vehicle is behind them.

With that said, nothing is more irritating for a UTV racer who gets stuck behind a bigger slower vehicle who refuses to move. To me that SUCKS worse because you can't exactly move them out of your way.

One thing I saw that pissed me off was when I saw the Riot Racing 1800 TT/Pre Runner come up on the back of Murray at full blown TT race speed it appeared. Murray's held it together and Riot passed cleanly but had it came up on a less experienced UTV racer I could see that pressure force them to pull off or make a heavy mistake. The 1800 class that is full of TT Pre Runners and Class 1 style pre runners do not belong on the same course IMO. Those guys are kicking up dust and taking up room on a track that should be reserved for points racers.

Anyway, glad everyone is safe but Co-Dog's PLEASE LIVE IN THE MIRROR! Do not become a casualty. We need to protect ourselves when racing.
Joey, one acronym.... ALMS... This is mixed class racing. They do it on asphalt, we can do it in the dirt. Peeps just have to be aware, as you've stated, but the offenders need their wings clipped and to be used as an example of what will not be tolerated.

If there's hard proof that someone intentionally damaged another racer, whatever class, they should be fined/suspended. Otherwise as others have said, it's just racing.

It's a small person that will try to take out another by punt possibly killing or maiming them because they can't do it with skill and they don't deserve to be called a race car driver.

Dan...

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Damn, both the story and the comments from other classes on that RD link sadden me.

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
I've seen first hand this same thing in other forms of multi-class racing and from what I've experienced the only way to get the offenders attention is to park them, take points or even some sort of fine system. If the individual has to sit out a few races he may think twice next time. With a lot of these guys a fine will not make a difference.

A little tap in the back is fine but just punting someone out of the way shows just how poor of a driver you really are.

It is "just racing" but a true racer is respectfrul to the track and others on it. There will always be these types in every form of racing.

yield2me

May 17, 2011
For anyone that came up behind the 1999 car, the exhaust broke off around RM 34 with me driving. My wife took the wheel from then on. It was so loud, I am sure they didnt hear anything.

I am not against bumping, but when 7140 hit Kristen, she said they came out of nowhere and hit her hard. My entire rear cage is 1.75" x .120" DOM so its built pretty stout, so there was no real damage.

She said it was Orange, and I have only found one Orange race car and it was the same dude who rammed the Gator.

I am sending him an email, and stating that if he ever hits my UTV that hard again, I will punch him in the face. I dont have any sponsor obligations, and really DGAF if I ever race again with BITD in case Casey doesnt like the matter in which I handle things.

The reason we race Sportsman with BITD is because I know we cant hang with the Pro/DSR1's and respect them enough to not be in their way.

Rob

TJWIZ

Double Tap Racing #803
Jul 30, 2011
Moreno Valley, Ca.
www.facebook.com
WOW, after reading this thread here and going to the RD-link, it's doesn't make me want to race those style desert races with the multiple classes. Go read the thread on the RD-link, there are some @ss holes out there that get a kick out of nurfing UTV's. I understand that we are smaller and don't go as fast but DAMM, don't be a @ick about it. For situations like this, that's why i'm in full support of the ISA. Not all the "Big Dog" drivers are @icks, but as you can tell by the RD thread, there's some people out there head hunting for UTV (or as some of them call us-golf carts). When is it going to stop? When someone seriously gets injured or worse? Fines and penalties should be inforced for inappropriate conduct. For us UTV's, we should add rearward facing GoPros.

Jan 10, 2012
As with any race, it is very important to watch behind you. We never got hit one time and had several cars come up on us fast. It is hard to hear the horns of other vehicles (sirens are louder) but you still need to be aware. This also helps you pass the guys who you have cought. I have raced for 5 years and only had one 10 car get me. I learned to remind my codriver. Its scary as hell to be push when your not expecting it.

lmcarraher

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 19, 2011
apple valley ca. 92307
WOW , SEEMS ALL THESE BIG DOGS JUST HAVE IT OUT FOR THE UTV'S I WAS PLANNING ON BUILDING ONE OF MY SXS'S FOR BITD NEXT YEAR SO THAT MY SON AND I COULD RACE TOGETHER , BUT AFTER READING THE TWO THREADS I TO AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS PUT MY ONLY SON IN HARMS WAY WITH THOSE HEAD HUNTERS OUT THERE I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO FORGIVE MY SELF IF SOME THING HAPPENED TO HIM OUT THERE.
SOME ONE REALLY NEEDS TO PUT A STOP TO THIS BEFORE SOME ONE IS KILLED!

lmcarraher

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 19, 2011
apple valley ca. 92307
I THINK JOEY D. WOULD BE A GREAT PROMOTER AND SHOULD START A NEW DESERT RACE SERIES FOR UTV'S.
LOOK AT THE FIRST KOH A CASE OF BEER WAS THE GRAND PRIZE....
JOEY, WITH ALL YOUR CONNECTIONS IN THE INDUSTRY THIS IS SOME THING YOU COULD TOTALLY PULL OFF , AND POTENTIALLY MAKE MONEY DOING IT.

noceros

Jan 22, 2011
Folsom Ca.
I thought the race venue was set up great, seperating the fast guys from the slower(1st & 2nd races). We had a chance to race the mint 400 & we wern't concidered a carni side show.Most everybody accepted us. There were a few and I already posted. I didn't think we were much slower (just smaller & lighter). We passed a bunch of other class cars (some we flew by). Some were playing rough (they have a bigger bat is the only problem) I'm happy to have raced & placed everything else can be handled in the pits & or through Cory.

skunx

OG SXS Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 30, 2009
california
www.imgms.com
since being in the rzr after the rhino days i havent even put on a front bumper. i think its way more fun getting around people in a clean manner

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
I love hearing that UTV's are nerfing other / bigger vehicles to move!! lol It sucks to hear of some of you getting nerfed out of the way. I find it difficult to think that another vehicle would run up on you and not use its horn before hitting? I will stress this to all of you who race a UTV in the desert. Your Co-Driver has 1 job he has to be good at, and that is living in the rear view mirror. Your Co-Driver MUST see and hear the vehicle moving up on you. Its hard in dusty situations I know.

A few racers of larger vehicles have now contacted me and said, dude, I am sorry but some of those UTV's out there are just plain dangerous because they are so slow and they do not move over when we come up on them. One guy told me he followed a Rhino for a while that refused to move or acknowledge he was there, this was after he flashed lights and sounded the siren. He was forced to bump and a light bump for a truck could feel like a full on thrashing to a UTV.

Some of the UTV's that are racing are not running very swift paces when you compare them to the other vehicles on course so consider their standpoint as they too are racing for a win in their class. Last thing they want is to be held up by someone who is oblivious to the fact that a bigger faster vehicle is behind them.

With that said, nothing is more irritating for a UTV racer who gets stuck behind a bigger slower vehicle who refuses to move. To me that SUCKS worse because you can't exactly move them out of your way.

One thing I saw that pissed me off was when I saw the Riot Racing 1800 TT/Pre Runner come up on the back of Murray at full blown TT race speed it appeared. Murray's held it together and Riot passed cleanly but had it came up on a less experienced UTV racer I could see that pressure force them to pull off or make a heavy mistake. The 1800 class that is full of TT Pre Runners and Class 1 style pre runners do not belong on the same course IMO. Those guys are kicking up dust and taking up room on a track that should be reserved for points racers.

Anyway, glad everyone is safe but Co-Dog's PLEASE LIVE IN THE MIRROR! Do not become a casualty. We need to protect ourselves when racing.[/QUOTE/] Well said joey we have 4 mirrors in our car. If your mirrors are too small get bigger ones. I rely 100% on my co driver to keep an eye on the mirrors. And I check them myself costantly. What is really irritating is when you get caught and there is no where to go to get out of the way at that point they need to be patient. If I catch someone I pay attention to where we are and if it is even possible for them to move over. If you are caught in a desert race from a car that started behinde you move over they are allready beating you on time.

1910RLEARD

Sep 28, 2010
<to the 4400 car that wrecked>. do you think the trophy lite turned in on purpose? looking at the video it looks like you could of stayed alittle bit further away from them on the pass.. but that is just my .02.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
They locked the thread at RD before I could respond over there. I was able to read all the comments and all i can say is "WoW! there are really some dicks out there. The UTV class is a developing class as are the Eco tech and TL classes. Why are these guys so bitter.

I just want to share a few stats that I looked up. This is from the 2011 Silver State 300. I know it is not exaclctly apples to apples because the UTV started with the early group in the morning but none the less we ran the exact same course and miles as all the classes.

if you go by overall time in the truck and buggy classes the first two UTVs finished 66th & 67th overall (out of over 144 entries)

If you compare some of the other classes the lead UTV would have been

1st in 8100
1st in 5000
1st in 3000
1st in 1700 Jeep speed
1st in 1800
5th in 1200
5th in 2000
5th in 1000 Class ten people!

A UTV would have been 17th in class 1500 and 15th in TT

No wonder they are bitter. The lead UTV's are faster than half the classes racing. But still we have to listen to A holes on RD talking about golf carts blah blah blah.

My team will not tollerate unsportsmanlike conduct from racers from other classes and will be prepared to take appropraite measures as neccasary.

BSJX

BTW Lucas, let us know if we can help you in any way.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
thanks Bill for re-posting those results..I too was very surprised at the attitude over at RD from some with the Golf Cart comments...but I don't think they represent the majority of the racers today. For the most part I think we are earning more and more respect from other classes (especially since we pass and beat many of them) as our vehicles evolve and become faster and more reliable. I do think that many of the UTV codawgs need to do better watching those mirrors (including us) as well as get better horns or sirens (not mandate but highly suggest). We run a TT type siren that is exactly what the majority of the very fast cars and trucks run. They are not that expensive at around $375 and can save us all a lot of issues. Someone said earlier that it is hard to hear horns from other cars... we too have been nerfed by other UTV's (Mr Parks and Rupert) and later they said they were on the horn the entire time- which I'm sure they were...the one time I have been nerfed by a 1 car we heard them for sure...we have had quite a few opportunities to nerf and have always found a way around with a little patience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000