All UTV's gsxr rhino knocking

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
I have a a 2002 gsxr 750 mounted into a yamaha rhino. I have all my jackshaft and sprockets aligned but am getting a weird knocking sound coming from the gearbox it sounds like. I am using industrial #50 sprockets on the jackshaft and a custom made aluminum 530 sprocket on the rear. Here is a video, let me know what you think the problem is. I am using just cheap #50 princess auto chain right now using a clip style master link, master link does not squeeze tight on the chain, rk chain is being shipped. Just wondering if you guys have any input as to what the knocking is. Normal gear lash possibly? seems to go away when engine is revved, returns when no gas applied

Here is a link to a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waH8cv8kpPE&feature=youtu.be

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
Hard to say from the video but it doesn't sound like the gear box to me. Sounds more like the chain is smacking something which would explain why it goes away with more tension on it.

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
Seeing how the gears are fixed I'm guessing my chains should be quite tight. How much play? 1/8" of an inch?

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
Might be something you have to play with. I would tighten it up and run it at several different tensions and see what it does. If that seems to work you could always think about running some kind of spring loaded tensioner so that you weren't having to adjust it as the chain stretches.

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
I think I've narrowed it down to the rear chain setup. I have noticed that the countershaft sprocket wobbles a tiny amount. No sure if it is enough to hurt anything. My plan was the have the rear bearing carriers so they can slide in and out to change chain tension. I did not think I would need a tensioner as my gears are in a fixed location. I will just have to re-adjust the carrier location as my chain stretches. Im thinking part of my problem is my cheap chain. The master link does not fit very tightly and could be causing extra movement when it wraps around each gear. I found that my chain gets really tight in 1 spot and then has about 1 inch of slack in 1 rotation of the rear sprocket. Possibly my sprocket is not quite centered on my axle I'm guessing. COuld that be causing the knocking? Going from loose tension to tight?

tucks15

Jul 15, 2013
took some quick measurements, rear sprocket is off centre by just under a millimetre. still enough to cause a tight spot then really loose spot in the chain, ill fix this and see where I'm at. thanks for the help oc1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000