Help Miller Canyon route to Devils Hole for wider SXS

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Sorry I missed the last ride through Miller. But how do you guys with over 50" wide suspension get through starting from Miller Canyon to get to Devils or Crab Flats? Last I went up there with Wildcat and Quads, the trail is blocked off at I believe is Rock Camp 3W14? I had to go off path through bushes to get around and we made it to Devils Hole. Thanks for you help and I may go up this Saturday and/or June 15.

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Sorry I missed the last ride through Miller. But how do you guys with over 50" wide suspension get through starting from Miller Canyon to get to Devils or Crab Flats? Last I went up there with Wildcat and Quads, the trail is blocked off at I believe is Rock Camp 3W14? I had to go off path through bushes to get around and we made it to Devils Hole. Thanks for you help and I may go up this Saturday and/or June 15.
I was just there in my Teryx (+5 long travel) and I just fit through the two metal poles driving into the Pinnacles staging area from the Miller Canyon staging area. I hadn't been to Devil's Hole in a while and it is now practically a groomed trail compared to what it used to be last year.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
I was just there in my Teryx (+5 long travel) and I just fit through the two metal poles driving into the Pinnacles staging area from the Miller Canyon staging area. I hadn't been to Devil's Hole in a while and it is now practically a groomed trail compared to what it used to be last year.
Glad you can fit at Pinnacles, but my Wildcat is too wide and can not clear the poles. I had to go around to the left...I'd rather stay on the trail as much as possible.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Is your Wildcat not stock width? My XP is as wide as a Wildcat at 64" stock and I have 1" spacers on the rear and just went through the Pinnacles gate two weeks ago.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Is your Wildcat not stock width? My XP is as wide as a Wildcat at 64" stock and I have 1" spacers on the rear and just went through the Pinnacles gate two weeks ago.

:confused: Yes the cat is stock and does measure 64" and the front wheels needed 2 inches per side to clear the posts. The trail I took was marked 50" trail only that started next to that water plant. I went up there back in February so maybe they widened the pillars?

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, I was just on that waterplant trail...its tight but you will fit.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
I went through it last year with plenty of room and my teryx was 72" wide in the front.
The Gate / poles are 72'' unless some thing is new , sometimes when the ground is uneven it puts your doors or cage in to the poles .

3w14 is a 50'' trail but it is the only way to get from the west side to the east side of the riding area and the Rangers don't hold the 50'' trail rule on that trail for UTV's I have got this info straight from the Rangers at our Adopt-A-trail meetings for utv's . But if you were to drive on the pavement it's ticket time . .

If I remember right this car is 71'' and this is poles your talking about cool cat ???

BigBR

May 29, 2013
There are a few of these narrow "check points". The widths are 68" at the 3W12 trail head from 2N75, and 70" at both check points near Pinnacles. 3W12 from 2N75 heading up/east gets pretty tight and there is almost nowhere to turn around. The cliffs drop 150' on the driver side heading east (up), making the ride a bit crazier and more fun. It's a tight fit but I squeezed my RZR XP4 900 through so anything should fit. This small bypass is very hard to find but worth it when you do.

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
Shit all you have to do is go riding with me and Ill show you how to get through. This is my backyard practically. Hahaha.

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Guys some of the trails that have been posted on this thread are 50'' trails and it really hurts our sport when we don,t play by the rules our group ( La Familia ) have Adopted some of the trail up is these areas and I get emails from the head Ranger( WHO IS ON OUR SIDE ) of some the problems that happen and one was about a LARGER then 50'' UTV having a head on with a bike ''ON'' a 50'' . Yes the bike was riding faster then he should have and it was on a blind corner , but the UTV was over 50'' and that made it the UTVs fault . We are working with the Rangers and maybe one day we can do trail work to get these trail wider for other then 50'' UTVs can use , but until then playing buy the rules helps the fight .

I'm Not hating on any of the the post just passing info on that I think will help , the place has some great year round riding and it would be a shame to lose it . :)

BigBR

May 29, 2013
I understand the need to follow rules and keep the rangers in our corner, but that short stretch of trail is the only way to connect to Pinnicals from Miller Canyon, short of taking the paved road bypass which will get you cited for sure. The fact that the trail may be a potential bottleneck with another vehicle is just the way it is with trail riding. 3N34 has the same problems in many spots and it is the widest main trail on the mountain. In fact, the Sheriff's Department has also made the decision to use it with their search and rescue unit (they drive RzR4 800's). For the last two years it has been used daily by that unit in their SXS's. If they run into a bottle neck situation that results in a collision I doubt they will accept liability simply because some board member voted to label the trail as a 50" trail, LOL.

Jokes aside, all of the 50" trails are rugged and slow going by their physical nature. Short of blatant recklessness on the part of either party, there is virtually no way to end up in a collision on one of these 50" stretches.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
The Gate / poles are 72'' unless some thing is new , sometimes when the ground is uneven it puts your doors or cage in to the poles .

3w14 is a 50'' trail but it is the only way to get from the west side to the east side of the riding area and the Rangers don't hold the 50'' trail rule on that trail for UTV's I have got this info straight from the Rangers at our Adopt-A-trail meetings for utv's . But if you were to drive on the pavement it's ticket time . .

If I remember right this car is 71'' and this is poles your talking about cool cat ???
Thanks onerich, the map looks like the trail we took. the 50' trail runs along the water treatment site and leads to Pinnacle right? THe pic of the gate could be it, I honestly dont remember and thought they were red. But if that sounds right, I rolled right up to the fence and both me and my sons said no way we would fit. NOW, from the pic with the trex barely fitting, to the left of the driver, is there restrooms or small brick structure down about 50 yards casue thats where I had to go off trail which I hated to do to get around.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Shit all you have to do is go riding with me and Ill show you how to get through. This is my backyard practically. Hahaha.
Plumber, Im planning on going up there on June 15 for day ride and would appreciate someone to show us around up there.

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
Plumber, Im planning on going up there on June 15 for day ride and would appreciate someone to show us around up there.
Would love to but I might haVe a trailer full of tile and wood flooring that I am picking up sunday. The wifey went alll out and spent some dough on new flooring for the whole house. Can you make it this Saturday? this maybe the lsst time I get to ride for awhile. Going to spending my weekends instslling flooring. Lol funny how the wife hs planned m6 summer weekends already.

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
Thanks onerich, the map looks like the trail we took. the 50' trail runs along the water treatment site and leads to Pinnacle right? THe pic of the gate could be it, I honestly dont remember and thought they were red. But if that sounds right, I rolled right up to the fence and both me and my sons said no way we would fit. NOW, from the pic with the trex barely fitting, to the left of the driver, is there restrooms or small brick structure down about 50 yards casue thats where I had to go off trail which I hated to do to get around.
Thats the spot

onerich

Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
I have a pix of a stock cat at the same poles and cleared it and a pix of the poles at 72'' t- ., (ill find them ) But maybe something has changed . Fyi we have some jeep clubs that want the trail for there selves and look for any reason to make the UTV crowed look bad , so maybe not post going off trails , not telling any one what to post just passing info on and hopes no one take it the wrong way . .

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Good point,
I think we are at the Don't Ask Don't Tell with the 50" wide trails that can handle bigger.

Sad but true. There are some trails in Hungry Valley (Gorman) as well, that are listed as 50" but can clearly handle any SxS and then there are others that are listed @ 50" in the same area that are only big enough for Quads.

Bottom line is work with what makes sense and don't bring attention to some of the trails like this where they don't want full size trucks.

Just saying. ;)
Bryan

I have a pix of a stock cat at the same poles and cleared it and a pix of the poles at 72'' t- ., (ill find them ) But maybe something has changed . Fyi we have some jeep clubs that want the trail for there selves and look for any reason to make the UTV crowed look bad , so maybe not post going off trails , not telling any one what to post just passing info on and hopes no one take it the wrong way . .

Plumber

Ridin' Dirty
Jun 26, 2012
Apple Valley
Jeepers are just jealous. I know I have friends with jeeps and they say they wish they would of bought a rzr to play with instead of a jeep after I take em out for a ride. I understand the importance of playing by the RULES which I do to the best of my ability. When something comes up and you cant get thru, sometimes improvising is the only way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000