Laughlin Desert Classic

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Pump yer brakes there Turbo i am not sure how "up and up" you are on this whole racing thing. i know who you are and what you have done over the years i am not totally new to this game i have been helping teams since 2010-2011. not to the extent that i am now, but i have been around and heard your name for some time. in the wide world of racing pretty much regardless of what form it is, power to weight ratio is king. the heavier your turd wagon is, the slower it will be. the lighter you build it the faster it will be. The Cognito Hell Raiser cars are very well built, super light, and have a heck of a motor in them. I havent sat in Lamberts car, but i did work on Scott Yancys and its very well balanced and light and fast. Some of the racers in this class have been flat out passed in the straights and open areas by Lambert and Yancy. a light car with a lot of power is fast. an 1800 lb car that has 110whp has a better power to weight ratio than one of Marcs. which is 2000lbs and bone stock and also puts about 110whp out. you can try to say its a turbo that won the race when the Cognito car doesnt overall. that however is far from the truth. the Hell Raiser cars Cognito built are fast, light, well balanced, and have plenty of power to outrun the turbos both in a drag race and in longevity as you probably will learn if you ask the S3 boys about their race last year at henderson i believe when Scott Yancy drove around them in a straight away when they (S3) were flat footed to the floor. The Cognito car is well balanced, very light, and very fast and clearly has the driver that understands the machine and knows how to drive it to be fast and not break anything and the prep behind him to make the car hold together. He hasnt won the races this year by luck. hes been fast and hes won those races legitimately. When he loses a race dont be a keyboard warrior and start claiming its cause everyone else has a turbo.
For What its worth....Our car probably makes 30 foot pounds less torque than every turbo car racing. Anyone whom know anything about engines knows that's a clear disadvantage in racing. And it doesn't make 110RWHP or weight 1800 pounds LOL!! We had a good run at the beginning of the year...now that the turbo's are being figured out our Overall wins are likely done.

Reactions: facteryfmf

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
if you think that any of us believe that you're at stock engine output.....just sayin. It's physics. If the car is heavier than stock and goes faster than stock, something doesn't add up. I don't believe that anyone takes exception to it, but I wouldn't state that I had less hp,or torque for that matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
if you think that any of us believe that you're at stock engine output.....just sayin. It's physics. If the car is heavier than stock and goes faster than stock, something doesn't add up. I don't believe that anyone takes exception to it, but I wouldn't state that I had less hp,or torque for that matter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
70hp is just as absurd as 110rwhp....unless your drinking the koolaid of the other engine builders that make those kind of claims. Talking HP is bench racing... Were not bench racers.

Reactions: shane88

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I think that everyone should have a sealed ECU in Pro production as well as pro production turbo. It only makes sense.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Exactly, so why do it in one class and not the other?
I agree its fundamental to the whole idea of the Production class. I don't know how you seal one but I'd have no problem with it. I absolutely would object to letting Cory or anyone else take possession of it other than to see that it was still sealed.

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
I would love to keep everything stock in both classes, but there is no way to police it. For the record, I am still running a stock motor and ecu.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Ok, to play devils advocate, why not just take the restrictions off and let em have at it? Did anyone bring up the fact that there were built motors and reflashed ecus before the turbo cars came out?
So my question is, why does anyone care of the ecus are reflashed now?

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Ok, to play devils advocate, why not just take the restrictions off and let em have at it? Did anyone bring up the fact that there were built motors and reflashed ecus before the turbo cars came out?
So my question is, why does anyone care of the ecus are reflashed now?
Because the rule maker and rules enforcer says it need policed....personally I think he afraid he will get his ass handed to him if it were opened up.

RIGHT SEAT RACER

Sep 9, 2015
Prescott valley AZ
Can we get a conversation about the turbo ecu issue started because taking these computers in an out of these cars is actually going to cause an issue. They were in know way meant to be repeatedly handled or to be "stored" in a box with a bunch of other ecu's. The serial data ports were not meant to be repeatedly unhooked and hooked back up, this is causing unseen damage that is going to show itself in spectacular fashion sooner or later. We need to find a better way of so called policing the turbo class.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Because the rule maker and rules enforcer says it need policed....personally I think he afraid he will get his ass handed to him if it were opened up.
I like Cory, he's a great guy and would give the shirt off of his back to help a fellow racer in need. With that being said, I believe it's a conflict of interest for a fellow racer to tech the competitions cars. It may have been ok when it was a startup class with 5-10 golf carts that had 37HP. But with the class/classes being the biggest draw for any class competing, I believe the tech should be done by the same people who tech the rest of the classes. It'd be like Ken Roczen doing the tech for the 450 riders in supercross. Or Carl Edwards doing it in sprint cup. Honestly it makes no sense.
I've been around different forms of racing since I was 3 weeks old. From sprint car racing to speedway racing to quads, TT Racing, and now desert racing. I'm not a racer myself, however I've seen first hand at the utv world championships how the ecu policing almost cost a team their podium finish.

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
The best way to police the turbo class in the future is to stop the policing. I was talking with one of the names in SxS engine building at the Laughlin race. My stance is to merge the turbo class with the unlimited class and just let those cars be unlimited.

Imagine a season in which the top cars are unlimited. The sponsors increase. The tech is easier. Let CanAm do what they want to their computer and turbo. Let Polaris do what they want to their ECU and turbo. Who cares....for anyone to say it's a safety thing to keep the speeds down is not paying attention. The current teams racing throw down amazing speeds during races. No one is going to push their car to a point that it's dangerous. The chassis that Cognito and LSR and other companies are producing are safe. If the speeds increase and a chassis can't handle it they will change the chassis design.

I just believe that if next year all the 900 numbers should be able to do what ever they wish with the ECU. There is no reason to restrict this and next season the best thing for the UTV class is to get the class in a place that cars are not having the difficulties on race day with the "race sealed" ECU that we are seeing now. If the classes are Unlimited (turbos), Production (N/A), and Custom (SR1 and bumps, ect) it would allow for more sponsors and less need for policing that can't be done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000