LSR SR1 Crash and Rebuild!

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
I'm sorry to say that i had a pretty bad crash during Friday's practice session for Rounds 11 and 12 at Speedworld. On lap 3, after making the fastest lap in practice, i jumped into the woops, the back of the car cased a woop, and sent it flying into what has been called the worst UTV crash ever. The car flipped end over end for about 100 yards as it slowed to a stop from about 60 mph. I was told about half way through the car flew up into the air about 10 to 15 feet, did a few spins before it came back down and continued to roll. I am lucky to have walked away with only some bruising, and a rattled head. I still have to watch out for making sudden movements, or i get a little dizzy.

Here are some pictures of the crash, damages, and i will start to post up pictures of the rebuild that started a couple days ago! Thanks for all the support! I am glad I have good safety equipment, and we built the chassis to be able to handle this sort of abuse without injuring the driver. Ya never know what can happen out there, so remember, safety first! So at least you can walk away!

Aftermath:

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
after seeing those pics a week ago, I am glad you are OK Greg, sad to see that car so messed up. :(

good luck in Vegas

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
After getting the car back into the shop.. here are some more close up pics of the damage. Keep in mind, this car is built from 100% 4130 tubing, and TIG welded (besides oem rails and arm channels). So think about the choice of materials your going to be using in your next build. Anything is possible! Not a place you want to save a few bucks in my opinion.

You can see in the photo how the bottom of the car is curved up from casing the woop as i landed in them.

This tube took a major hit as it ripped through the UHMW skid plate like it was a piece of paper.

The front end is a little crooked now.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Here are some pics from starting to cut out and repair it.

Notice the front of the chassis is a little crooked. We picked up a Porta Power Hydraulic Ram Kit to straighten it back as best we can.

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks guys! Yeah.. it was a hell of a ride. Seemed to last forever too. I had plenty of time to think about my brand new radiator that i thought got damaged, thinking this was a lot worse than the flip in Utah.. etc. etc.. hahaha. It just kept going and going...

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Sappington said it looked like a spring car it rolled so long....

I was going to call you today and see how it was going, that kills me seeing all of that work laying on the shop floor, glad it was just tube (and a shock) and nothing worse.

Hope to see you in Vegas.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Don't worry about dog-tracking a little Greg - pretty sure most of us do the same thing - lol!! :) Good to see you guys working on it - Vegas will be fun!! :)

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Thanks Doug, Ben, Joey, and Corry! the front end won't be perfectly straight, but we should be able to get it close. I maxed out the 4 ton porto-power last night trying to straighten it, but it wouldn't push far enough to get it to relax back into position, so we will just get it straight, weld in a support tube to hold it, then take the porto-power out, and get the next spot. hahaha.

Good times!
G-

OLET

Grabbin' Gears - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks guys! Yeah.. it was a hell of a ride. Seemed to last forever too. I had plenty of time to think about my brand new radiator that i thought got damaged, thinking this was a lot worse than the flip in Utah.. etc. etc.. hahaha. It just kept going and going...
THEY ALLWAYS SAY "IF YOU DIE OF NATURAL CAUSES YOUR A F@#$%IN PUSSY" GLAD YOUR OK! RACE ON!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
put some strength behind those front upper bumper tube mounts this time, and plate that upper shock tower.

just my .02

Rog

trinity

trinity
Jan 26, 2009
az
www.maricoparealestatecompany.com
Thanks Doug, Ben, Joey, and Corry! the front end won't be perfectly straight, but we should be able to get it close. I maxed out the 4 ton porto-power last night trying to straighten it, but it wouldn't push far enough to get it to relax back into position, so we will just get it straight, weld in a support tube to hold it, then take the porto-power out, and get the next spot. hahaha.

Good times!
G-
Run it over to a body shop(orlandos), strap the bitch to a frame machine.. do it correct now, ,or you will regret it later..

LSRGreg

Jan 26, 2009
Made some more progress on the race car today....

Got the final tubing cut off:

Got the front end straight, and welded in support tubes to keep it there:

New shock tower laser cut and welded:

Front end done:

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
lookin' good. I'm glad your o.k.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000