Missing, please read.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Hope they find them.

To bad the military can't use some of the inferred aircraft in the area and help out.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Hope all turns out well for them. Would one of those transponders work in a mine pending how deep it was I guess ?

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
It's said time and time again, never ride alone, especially at night! I know it doesn't help, but just like wearing seat belts, maybe someone else can learn from this.

I do hope this comes to a good conclusion, but as others have said, I don't hold much hope with the temperatures we've been having. If they did go down a mine shaft, they may never be found.

Thoughts are with the family and may the teams have a little luck on their side in their search.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
maybe someone here knows this area.

"Families of the two missing riders are hoping local residents with knowledge of the desert can help in the search.

As of this Thursday morning, the search teams urgently need locals who know the desert and are willing to assist in the search (there are out of town crews involved now who need guides).

If you are familiar with the desert in this area and are willing to help, please contact either Cristina Duran (805) 637-6097 or Brian Murdock (617) 669-4848 who are helping to coordinate the search and match knowledgeable locals up with out of town search crews."

UPDATED: Search on for two men lost near Randsburg continues - Ridgecrest, CA - Ridgecrest Daily Independent

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
I have two flares that are very small that I carry. Each one is the size of about 2 D batteries inline.

Also I now have the tracking on my iPhone so not only can I find my phone should I ever loose it (right like it is ever more then three feet from me) but also my wife can see where I am or at least the last reported location.

Cell phones do work in that area somewhat.

VBosch02

Dec 3, 2010
Bellflower, Ca
I Read on RDC that they found 2 bodies at the base of a 500 ft cliff and that they were air lifting them out. I looked for some news updates on google but haven't found anything. Can anyone confirm this?

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Nothing could have saved them...they passed on impact....The seat belts ripped from the vehicle. The vehicle was found 100 feet further down the cliff from were the bodies were found at about 400 feet over the side...
phuck....
My heart goes out to the ones they left behind.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Just sad , best wishes to family and friends. Did any one know them and is there something we can help with ?

X-Racer

Nov 6, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
I don't know what happened in this case, but if you are riding out there, NEVER proceed blindly over a mound of dirt.

That mound of dirt came out of the ground and the till can be spread over a large area (so you might not suspect a deep hole on the other side) most of those mines are UNMARKED and some can be BOTTOMLESS.

I've been riding out there my entire life and even armed with that experience still come across some I've never seen or could recall.

clayrog27

Jul 16, 2011
Very sad! I hate hearing these about these kinds of things. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
The ATV went over a cliff and dropped 500 feet. The Bodies are being airlifted now. Found about 1.5 miles from command post.
8 hours ago

Here is where they were found.

Press release:
On December 22, 2011 the world lost two of its brightest stars. Daniel Carbanero and Christopher Rice will forever be remembered as wonderful individuals who touched everyone who crossed their paths. On December 18, 2011 Dan and Chris were riding a white Polaris all terrain vehicle when they accidentally drove off a cliff, fell approximately 500ft, and died on impact. They did not suffer.
What ensued before the discovery of this incident was one of the greatest community efforts any of us have experienced in our lifetimes. People came together from all over the globe to provide support for an extremely large search effort. On behalf of the families and friends of Dan and Chris we extend our gratitude to the Kern County Sheriff’s Office for leading the search. We also would like to extend our deepest thanks to all the search and rescue teams who volunteered their time to the effort. Last but, most importantly, to all of Dan and Chris’ friends, family, and random strangers who aided in delivering supplies, giving donations, and providing moral and physical support to the search, you are the greatest group of people who we have ever had the pleasure of knowing. It really reflected the type of guys Dan and Chris were, that so many people tirelessly searched, passed on their responsibilities to continue, and did anything their power to keep from feeling the helplessness we all felt when we heard the news of our friends disapearence.
Dan and Chris will be dearly missed and never forgotten. If you would like to donate to their memorial fund please see information below:

Stop by any Santa Barbara Bank and Trust Location or mail to:

SBBT/Cottage Branch
220 Nogales Street,
Santa Barbara CA 93105
Make Checks and Wire Transfers - C/O Jonathan J. Katz-Moses: Dan Carbonaro and Chris Rice Memorial Fund - account #0102413861 routing #122220593

If you need any other information please email Jonathan Katz-Moses at [email protected] or call 805-448-8234. All donations will go to help aid Dan and Chris' Families with travel and funeral arrangements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000