My rig...

FBT

It is a '97 F-350, the one and only brand new vehicle I have ever owned, 7.3 turbodiesel, not even close to stock, if you want details let me know. The camper is a 01 Arctic Fox 990 with a full wall slideout, great for a couple and gicves us options to tow the toy traler or our boat. We love the camper, but if you are looking at them don't even believe the weight sticker, our sticker says 3300# and this thing weighs more like 4k when full of water. The truck was not a dually when bought it, Ford didn't offer a dually in '97 but after dropping the camper on it one time I knew it was either convert or buy a new truck. This truck just turned 92k, and I almost have it just the way I want it. Almost:D
Anyway, she pulls just fine over Donner Pass, my eldest son can't believe I can pull right with him in his 05 Cummins H.O. and I am about 2k heavier than he is. Like I said, it ain't stock, and since the smog nazis didn't include 97 I think I will keep it. :D
I have a coffe can I save my stash $ in marked "Stage one Injectors" and once I get those, and a different chip programmed for them, it wll be done.

NEVERENOUGH

Oct 25, 2009
That is a sharp looking truck. What are the specs as far as tire size? Is it lifted at all? I really like the way that rig looks and for 2 I don't think you can beat a cab over.

FBT

Thanks, it is not lifted in the rear, stock everything. The air bags are at 60 with the camper on, it levels the truck out. I ru them at 5 psi whe it is empty, about 20 pulling a SkiSanger.
The rear tires are 235-85 R16 Michelin LTX's, the fronts are 265-75's (I am running from memory here). I wanted a wider footprint in the front than a 235, considering the weight of the diesel and how often we are traversing soft sand to get into a camping area.
I have an off-road unlimited shackle reverse kit on the front, which raises the front about 2", leveling the truck out, but the real reason for it is it moves the spring shackle on the front leaves from the front of the spriing to the rear, allowing the springs to "work" better without being forced into a bind. The ride improvment was noticable..while it is still a leaf-sprung 1 ton 4x4, it does not beat you up quite as bad over the expansion joints on concrete freeways.
Here is a pic without the camper on board.

FBT

thats a sweet truck. Amazing how much the banks wakes up the 7.3 huh?
thats a sweet truck. Amazing how much the banks wakes up the 7.3 huh?
Thanks for the kudos guys, obvviously it is my "baby".
The only thing on the truck that is Banks is the intercooler, they make the best one for the early Ford.
To be honest with you, in my opinion the rest of the Banks stuff is way over priced as far as bang for your buck goes.. Their stuff is fine for someone who does not know alot about their truck, does not want to learn, (and can afford it) and is just looking to get an improved seat of the pants deal, but for the the price of their "Power Pack" I could go (and have) way beyond their performance level and do it safely.
This truck has an open element Air Cleaner by Tymar Performance. The air filter itself is a Donaldson unit, you guys who drive big trucks have heard of Dondalson. The whole kit was about $120.
I have a Beans Performance D66 Turbo, which is an improvement over the stocker and runs much cooler as it moves more air.
The downpipe is a 3 inch Hypermax, ceramic coated and a huge improvement over stock. The exhaust is 4 inch from the downpipe to the tip. It was about half the price of the Banks exhaust. (I'd like to do a bigger turbo, but before I do that I need to pull the head bolts and slip a set of studs in. With bigger injectors this turbo will pin a 35 PSI manifold pressure gauge.)
I am running a Terminator Engineering High Pressure Oil system that provides a much stronger and more consistent high pressure oil supply to the injectors; on the Fords it is hgh pressure oil that fires the injectors. Even with the stock injectors, which are about 120 total cc, I saw a major improvement in performance. I plan on adding a set of 160cc Stage 1 injectors soon, and the oil system will have no problem supporting them. That intercooler and the other flow mods help control the EGT, when loaded down you drive these trucks by the pyrometer, if you are towing heavy with a diesel and don't have one you need to get one.
Custom tuning is where you get the power out of these trucks. An off the shelf tuner is set with generic perameters and not designed to take advantage of the mods you have. For the past couple of years I have been running a TS style chip by Power Hungry Performance, tuned by Bill Cohron. He has been in the diesel tuning business for over 20 years.
I sent him some run data on my truck and he custom designed the chip for me, this chip has 6 positions and is set up with stock, 20 tow, 40 tow, 65 tow, 80 daily and 100 HP, plus a no start position.What is really nice is that I can ask him to modify a shift position or add some high pressure oil at a certai n RPM in a certain gear and Bill will write the tune, load onto his server, and I can pull it down and with a burner that I bought with the chip reload the new tunes to the chip myself, all in less than an hour.
There are two or three really sharp tuners out there right now, DP Tuner has some really nice stuff, as does Tyrant Diesel. I would like to try a DP Tuner F-6 system when I get the new injectors, they will require all new tunes as they will be single-shot units and my current stockers are split-shots. The Stage 1's should be good for an honest 75 HP
This truck loaded up as seen in the pic will pull up and over Donner Pass (7200 ft) at about 65 MPH in drive with the A/C on, holding about 2700 RPM (4.10 gears) at about 28 PSI of manifold pressure, and around 1125 on the pyro (hot side). I don't hot rod it around town, every mod have done was done to improve towing and longevity of the engine, trans and rear axle.
I think the 7.3 is the best diesel Ford has come out with, they (and the other engine builders) have struggled ever since trying to get
reliabilty, performance, and low emmisssions to satisfy the smog people.
If I ever wear this engine out I will have to do some real soul-searching, I'd love to drop a 12 valve 5.9 Cummins in it, on of the first gen engines that are super simple and absurdly easy to crank up.
I also have several friends in the diesel performance business that would have no problem whatsoever helping me build a dead nut reliable 500 HP 7.3 that would be far simpler than the new 6.7 Cummins, the D-Max or the new Ford.
Hopefully it will be many years before I have to make that call.:D

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Got to watch that mix and match of other diesel products, you might burn the motor down with EGT temp's. I have the power pack and its buttet proof. You might want to look at a gear splitter (Gear Vendor) this made a huge differents in pulling on my truck. The stock E40D, one gear was to tall the other was to low, by adding the Gear Vendor I now have a 8 spd.

Attachments

FBT

The tuning will not let the "burn down" happen as long as the driver watches the EGT's. I have seen guys melt pistons with Banks stuff, too. It is all in how you drive.
Banks does a good job of providing a packaged product, but if you want to spend the time to learn about the engine and the systems you can do better, but that s just my opinon, FWIW.
I have ru a Gear Vendor in a Class A motorhome. They are neat, no doubt.
The problem wth them is that they run hotter than hades, and they really are not designed for heavy loads in the mountains. My buddy had one, after I bought mine, and his 34 ft. PAce Arrow coach pulling a 22 ft toyhauler killed the GV after two trips over Donner.
I sold my coach shortly after he ha his problem so I didn't tow much with mine. My E40D is also far from stock as my best friend owns a Trans shop.
He build alot of E40Ds for PGE pole seting trucks, CalFire, etc. and has learned a few tricks over the years. There are some great aftermarket sources of parts for the E4OD.
My friend found an outstanding trans fluid, a product called Hy-Torque, whch is a purebase fluid. I had a mechanical trans temp gauge in the RV and simply switching to that fluid dropped the operating temp of the trans 25 degrees.
It is in all of the automatics in my household, and if I had a GV it would be in that unit for sure. I can get you some source info if you need it.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Thank's I will keep it in mind. I also bought mine new in 97 and it been a great truck but its looking a little beat so I will be passing it along to my 16yr old son. Its been a full time puller since about 70K it now has 106K. Not the fastest truck out there because it always is pulling 21,000 Lbs. so I may end up with a new F-450 or Chevy we will see.

If I deside to really Hot Rod it, We will talk.

FBT

Many folks believe in the Banks product, and they offer a nice package for folks who want to go that way. Burning down the engine is going to happen no matter who's products are on, or in, the engine; if the driver does not pay attention to the pyrometer.
There is a huge aftermarket and high performance diesel industry out there that is thriving, and I don't think anyone has melted a piston because he was running products that didn't all come in the same box.
To each his own, tho. That is what makes life interesting!
I have HyTorque in every automatic in our household, even the Velvet drive in our boat. I can get you some source info if you like.
I know what you mean about that steep shift, I have 4.10s and a RacerX billet converter with braised fins and cryo'ed internals. The other trans mods my friend has made coupled with the mods to the truck have minimized the fall-off, but more gears would always be better. If I had it my way the truck would have a 6 speed manual in it, but I don't see that mod happening.

FBT

Thank's I will keep it in mind. I also bought mine new in 97 and it been a great truck but its looking a little beat so I will be passing it along to my 16yr old son. Its been a full time puller since about 70K it now has 106K. Not the fastest truck out there because it always is pulling 21,000 Lbs. so I may end up with a new F-450 or Chevy we will see.

If I deside to really Hot Rod it, We will talk.
Simi I think you will miss it, the OBS Fords were the last real F-350 out there...nice rig.
Also, watch out buying the new one tons, some are rated at 26k GVW and that is going to stick you with having to get a commercial license, I know you have one towing doubles, but think of the weight fees Sacramento is gonna hit you for.
Mine is at 21k when loaded and we always go from home at 1800 ft up and over Donner Pass, she rarely leaves the yard without a big load on.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
In my trans we used a suncoast billet coverter with the Allison converter clutches & 300m input shaft along with a whole bunch of other goodies. I really dont remember all the stuff we did it was like 8 years ago.

The whole set up still works great...Oh I also have 5:13's in it with Lockers F/R

FBT

Suncoast is good stuff, mine has the cryo'ed 300m input too, and I too can't remember the other stuff, Jim built it about 5 years ago when the stock converter balloned.
How tall are your tires? Which lockers did you use and would you do it again? With the dually and the limited slip I air down to about 50 in the rear and 30 in the front and do okay, but I am dang careful about where I point it.
Simi I just read your thread. 30k? WOW.
If you were me, with my rig and a 4k camper in the bed I am thinking about an ARB, we don't go to Pismo or Glamis anymore (too far), we are in NorCal and go to Sand Mountain Nevada, St. Anthony's and a couple other places. Our parking isn't as soft as the dunes down south. I could actually see the ARB being of more value in the winter when we are trying to get over Donner.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Suncoast is good stuff, mine has the cryo'ed 300m input too, and I too can't remember the other stuff, Jim built it about 5 years ago when the stock converter balloned.
How tall are your tires? Which lockers did you use and would you do it again? With the dually and the limited slip I air down to about 50 in the rear and 30 in the front and do okay, but I am dang careful about where I point it.
Tire size now 33" and Detroit lockers I use to run 36", I got tired of the clutches burning up in the limited slips. We use to do the Glamis thing and drag my crap across the sand. Now its mostly hard pack desert we do and I pull our 23' wakeboard boat to Shaver Lake once a year a 10% grade 10mi long, thats the biggest grade we do anymore other than the Grapevine. And yes i really do need a Class 1 lic.....Pm me your number if you want so I can pick your brain on motor mods.....On the scales total weight for the fifth wheel and 24' enclosed is about 30,000.

FBT

PM sent. We pull a 21 ft. Ski Sanger, one of the reasons we went to the camper after the kids grew up was the ablity to tow either the toy trailer or the boat. Now, we have a grandaughter...she is the first of what I suspect will be several grandkinds...and and the wife talks about a 5'er, but dayum I don't wanna go into hawk for anything anymore, ya know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000