Can-Am Need Suggestions

warpack

Feb 12, 2012
Central PA
Looking to do some performance mods to my commander 800, but on limited budget at this time. What would be a good start? Slip-on, K&N? How far can you go until you need some sort of power commander?
Not looking to race, but like power.
Thanks<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->

Odyknuck

May 2, 2011
If your really looking to gain HP then bolting on an aftermarket exhaust and changing the filter is a waste of money. The stock intake is very restrictive and would need to be replace with a free flowing intake. Then an aftermarket exhaust would make a difference. You would then need a fuel controler because you will be running lean. You will have a few grand into for a few extra ponies. Curious why you did not just buy the 1000 model.

qwknbad

Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
Have you looked into a clutch kit, might give you a little more oomph, not really HP but something you can feel, that might be a cost effective mod for you.

warpack

Feb 12, 2012
Central PA
Thanks, the 1000 just wasn't in the budget at the time. Just like playing around with minor mods if possible. At least until bike is sold

Which clutch kit would you recommend

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
How much are you looking to spend? You can make an intake/filter setup yourself for around $150 if you have the ability. With the intake, you can then add a free flowing exhaust and get a little more power. You will need to adjust the mapping for the correct mixture, so throw in a PC5. This will all run you around $1000. As far as clutching, the hot set up is a STI primary and secondary. Or, the Airdam set up with is about the same. This is going to run $2000 +, so its not cheap, and to be honest, it would be a waste of money for a fairly stock engine. I hate to send you elsewhere, but all of this has been hashed and re-hashed on the Commander forums. Just google search Commander forums as I dont want to link to another web site off of this one. Probably not good etiquette. :D

Here is the thing and I know you said you are not going to be racing. Stock, the 800 Commander is over 10hp more than its closest comp, the RZR 800, and WAY more than a Teryx and Rhino. I see you have a base model and its only around 150lbs heavier than a RZR. If you did a bed delete, you would be within 50lbs of the RZR with over 10 more HP. That and the fact that you have a trailing arm suspension over the RZR and you can get more HP if you really want it. I dont understand why people arent racing these in the Production 850 classes out West. With a LT suspension and some tuning, you have a car that should lay waste to everything else out there in that class. Easily!

I know I didnt really answer your question, but to be honest, there really isnt cheap power to be had with these engines. You might read there is, but thats just advertising. Good luck and have fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000