Next Generation of UTV tires - who is going to step up

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
UTV's, and particularly racing UTV's have a challenge. Our vehicles weigh 1200 to 1700 lbs, make from 50 to 100 hp and go from 60 to 80 mph...yet most of us are using low (relative) pressure, ATV tires made for lighter vehicles with lower speeds than we are seeing, particularly in race trim. Someone needs to step up with a UTV specific tire that is a durable, light weight hybrid between a truck tire and an ATV tire, because LT tires are SUPER heavy and ATV tires are not built for the speed, hp and weight of UTVs (my opinion).
On the UTV section of Race Dezert there is a thread about the old Chenowth Mini Mag and it had 15 inch tires with 29" Mickey Thompson tires. They look very cool, but are very old school.

Which manufacturer of wheels and tires is going to be the first to make a true UTV tire?

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
UTV's, and particularly racing UTV's have a challenge. Our vehicles weigh 1200 to 1700 lbs, make from 50 to 100 hp and go from 60 to 80 mph...yet most of us are using low (relative) pressure, ATV tires made for lighter vehicles with lower speeds than we are seeing, particularly in race trim. Someone needs to step up with a UTV specific tire that is a durable, light weight hybrid between a truck tire and an ATV tire, because LT tires are SUPER heavy and ATV tires are not built for the speed, hp and weight of UTVs (my opinion).
On the UTV section of Race Dezert there is a thread about the old Chenowth Mini Mag and it had 15 inch tires with 29" Mickey Thompson tires. They look very cool, but are very old school.

Which manufacturer of wheels and tires is going to be the first to make a true UTV tire?
What would you like to see? 14"wheel 15" wheel? Tire size? Weight? I hear rumors but what would be your ideal set up?

I hear DOT approved 15" wheel on multiple sizes, but who knows?

My next rig will be Montana street legal, so the DOT interests me.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I hear you Matt! Love my 31" Put Bull Growler LT tires but they are HEAVY - 62 lbs for tire & wheel. But they are super tough and can run low air pressure without flinching.

Would love to see a stout 28-30" tire on a 14 - 15" wheel that tops out at 50 lbs. Don't think that is too hard to accomplsih.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
What would you like to see? 14"wheel 15" wheel? Tire size? Weight? I hear rumors but what would be your ideal set up?

I hear DOT approved 15" wheel on multiple sizes, but who knows?

My next rig will be Montana street legal, so the DOT interests me.
Speaking for myself, I would like to see a 29 or 30" tall tire x 10" wide on a 14" wheel. For desert racing I would like to see less tread, or a tighter pattern to keep CV's, axles etc happy. For recreation you can have more tread and/or deeper lugs for mud and sand. 6 ply radial. A more square LT style construction. Considering that I use the same tires front and rear, I would target a tire/wheel weight at approximatly 45-47 lbs (stock RZR XP front weighs 33 lbs and rear weighs 41 lbs) for a beadlock no balls or slime. But that is just me!

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
While we are on this. The future is going to be 15". forget tire who has a beadlock that's readily out there??? At a price point that doesn't rival and engine program.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
While we are on this. The future is going to be 15". forget tire who has a beadlock that's readily out there??? At a price point that doesn't rival and engine program.
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
I'm just thinking who is going to give us a 15" wheel to put a tire on. Not a hard question. Just asking. Right now it cost as much for a 15" beadlock "more really" wheel as it does to go on our class 1 car as it does a utv???

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I don't want to say too much but I will tell you that UTVUG is Working hand in hand with a very popular race wheel manufacturer in R&Ding a full line of UTV wheels for both race and play. In the works is a 15" wheel that will be very affordable in price. More to come on this. BTW, if any of you BITD racers intend on running 15" wheels next season hit me up. Also, if any of you are running a full season of BITD next year and are looking for a wheel sponsorship email me with your sponsorship proposal packet ASAP.

With that said, the current line up of OMF 15" wheels are the nicest wheels I have ever owned. They are not cheap, but you can't put a price on quality. These are seriously the type of wheels you buy once and keep forever.

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
I am too. That would be almost ideal weight. But I'm looking at what's out there now. I just don't see it yet.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Don't know what a 15" OMF wheel and a 30" BFG KM2's weigh. A guess? Ummm...55-60 lbs-ish per. But again I don't know.

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
I don't want to say too much but I will tell you that UTVUG is Working hand in hand with a very popular race wheel manufacturer in R&Ding a full line of UTV wheels for both race and play. In the works is a 15" wheel that will be very affordable in price. More to come on this. BTW, if any of you BITD racers intend on running 15" wheels next season hit me up. Also, if any of you are running a full season of BITD next year and are looking for a wheel sponsorship email me with your sponsorship proposal packet ASAP.

With that said, the current line up of OMF 15" wheels are the nicest wheels I have ever owned. They are not cheap, but you can't put a price on quality. These are seriously the type of wheels you buy once and keep forever.
Hopefully an inexpensive 15" beadlock.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Don't know what a 15" OMF wheel and a 30" BFG KM2's weigh. A guess? Ummm...55-60 lbs-ish per. But again I don't know.

I would hope that Jagged's setup is in the 55 lbs range. The picture above is what I am running - 31X1150-15LT Growlers mounted on 15" OMF billet centers. Bigger than Jagged's setup (taller and wider) and this is 62 lbs.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I'm just thinking who is going to give us a 15" wheel to put a tire on. Not a hard question. Just asking. Right now it cost as much for a 15" beadlock "more really" wheel as it does to go on our class 1 car as it does a utv???
MSA has those already I believe, benchmark is working on one and Joey too I think.

Load capacity is already there on many of these tires for UTVs. what will make them better at speeds it to balance them.

Unleashed has DOT tires for UTV's, I think they are 14"

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
There are already many 15" wheel options out there, such as Walker Evans, OMF, Centerline, KMC, Method, etc. But with a 30" max rule in racing it leaves too much wheel and not enough tire. Eg...trophy trucks typically use 17" wheels and 39" tires, aka little wheels and big sidewalls. That is why I would prefer to run 14" wheels.

I honestly believe that a tire company could do really well with a high speed, UTV specific tire.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Other than OMF none of those others are making 15" Beadlocks for UTVs............yet

As FYI in Moab Casey Currie ran a set of 14" DFR wheels with light truck DOT General Tire Grabbers. While I didn't like the way they look (the tires) they seemed like they would be exactly what you are looking for Matt?

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Other than OMF none of those others are making 15" Beadlocks for UTVs............yet

As FYI in Moab Casey Currie ran a set of 14" DFR wheels with light truck DOT General Tire Grabbers. While I didn't like the way they look (the tires) they seemed like they would be exactly what you are looking for Matt?
Thanks for the info Joey. But I looked them up and the 14's are only 26.5" in dia. Not much help for me. The purpose of my thread was to try and get some consensus and hopefully a NEW tire specifically made for UTV's. Low pressure 'balloon' tires on a 1500 lb 80 mph vehicle are likely not the answer. And a 60 lb light truck wheel/tire combo is likely not the answer. I believe we need something in the middle. The first tire manufacturer to step up is going to corner the market here, because UTV's are getting bigger, faster, more powerful, etc. Just the way we all like 'em. :D

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Ahhhh you are right. Probably why I thought they looked funky. Well fwiw I am going to be trying to get General to make a red label LT tire that we could run on UTVs. I want a set for my T4 build but not sure if they can or will do it. Cost and volume is a factor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000