Not enough electricity?

bajaleo

Apr 11, 2010
Ok need some input. My 720 with a 500 watt stator is eating Optima batteries. 3 in 110 miles to be exact. I'm woundering if I'm trying to power to much, One 12" rad fan (run all the time), 1 8" oil cooler fan (part time) GPS, Radio, Intercom, Pumper, three LED rear lights (run all the time), and stock brake lights. Do you guys think this is over doing it or do I have another issue. Also added one forward facing fog light as per a new rule at the last minute. HELP!!

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Ok need some input. My 720 with a 500 watt stator is eating Optima batteries. 3 in 110 miles to be exact. I'm woundering if I'm trying to power to much, One 12" rad fan (run all the time), 1 8" oil cooler fan (part time) GPS, Radio, Intercom, Pumper, three LED rear lights (run all the time), and stock brake lights. Do you guys think this is over doing it or do I have another issue. Also added one forward facing fog light as per a new rule at the last minute. HELP!!
500w = roughly 40amps output @ 12Vdc. Sounds like it should be enough.

You should be able to get watt or amp ratings on all the equipment you're running. Not something you can guess at . Add them all up and you'll get the total current draw on your electrical system. The difference between this and the stator output is the rate at which you are charging/discharging the battery.

It's possible you're overcharging the batteries. I would look at that first.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
many of the aftermarket stator upgrades (if this is) are junk, this is not the first one to have this issue.

you need to run it with everything off, (execpt rad fan) and see what the charge voltage is. about 2000-2500 rpms will do it.

good, it should be about 13.4-14.0 volts

v8jeep86

Aug 20, 2010
most stators charge at too low voltage for optima batterys so you need a higher voltage charging system

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000