Arctic Cat Off to Test the WILDCAT......

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Wildcat's lined up ready to POUNCE!

Pic by Rick Wally World Wallace

I will be with Arctic Cat for the next couple of days in the desert testing the new Arctic Cat WILDCAT!!!! Pics and Story to come!!! PUMPED!! If there is anything specific you want info or pics on LET ME KNOW HERE!

Last edited:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Please confirm the wheelbase. Should be 90", but their website said 95". And let is know how the headlights compare to the xp. And how about the hp.

Sent from my DROIDX

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
1. Check out the rear trailing arms. They look like bent tubing with no gussetts. Also chck out the lower shock mounts to see if the production run will have only single sheer mounts, if they do smack one of them AC guys and ask WTF?

2. Let us know if a big guy can fit and have more leg room than the rzr.

3. What about seat position? Is it layed back more than other sxs's?

4. Do the cage to frame points look strong? Unlike the rzr where the a-pillar mounts to a weak dash crossbar.

5. Does it look like aftermarket seats will attach easily? Strong metal in the correct places?

6. What kind of electrical power is avalible for lights, gps, communication.......

I will have more for sure. I am excited for a new UTV, i will be buying one early next year.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
X100 on the rear lower shock mount! Hopefully they will move it to the top of the trailing arm for the production units. If not then like Mega said, smack the chit out of one of the Cat guys:D

What does the belly look like? Is the skid plate cheesy plastic? Is all the important stuff tucked up out of harms way?

Bagman

Jan 4, 2011
Norco, CA
Found on a site yesterday they plan to be in Glamis during Thanksgiving week. We'll get to see one first hand then.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Anyone that wants to can go drive the Wildcats at locations all around the US. Arctic Cat has setup testdrives all over on several different dates. Find one that fits you and go...

Be the first of your friends to drive one at one of these ride events:

October 15, 2011 - Elk River, MN
October 22, 2011 - Barstow, CA
October 22, 2011 - Oliver Springs, TN
October 29, 2011 - Reedsport, OR (Winchester Bay, Oregon Dunes)
October 29, 2011 - Little Sahara, UT
October 29, 2011 - Berlin, NH
November 5, 2011 - Red Deer, AB
November 5, 2011 - Union Point, GA
November 6, 2011 - Denver, CO
November 7, 2011 - Bonnyville, AB
November 10, 2011 - Regina, SK
November 12, 2011 - Zhoda, MB
November 12, 2011 - Bunnel, FL
November 12, 2011 - Little Sahara, OK
November 19, 2011 - Alpine, MS
November 27, 2011 - Glamis, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

As for the questions, the Wildcat uses the same HDPE plastic skid that the Prowler has, but has an aluminum skid plate available. Aftermarket companies will have UMHW skids available soon. Same as the XP.
The Wildcat uses a higher capacity charging system than was previously available on most any SXS before, so it should handle lights, GPS and radios better.
The rear shock mount on the lower trailing arm is a concern to many, myself included. But through repeated jump testing, in big jumps, the mount held up fine. But the aftermarket companies will again have some alternatives out soon.
The cage is more of a true off-road type chassis rather than an adapted SXS chassis.

here's a pic of the chassis lower section.. (two chassis stacked) you can see the upper cage mount points sticking up from the chassis

SXS Machine

Importer, wholesaler,
Yes Joey

Please have a look if those steering arms do protrude in front of the A-arms on the front suspension.

Seemed like it in every photo Ive seen but could be an optical illusion without seeing it top down.

Sorry you have to put yourself through this torture! ;)

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Yes Joey

Please have a look if those steering arms do protrude in front of the A-arms on the front suspension.

Seemed like it in every photo Ive seen but could be an optical illusion without seeing it top down.

Sorry you have to put yourself through this torture! ;)

The outboard ends of the tie rods do sit in front of the a-arms, but that is the same as most top desert trucks and cars. It's a much stronger set up for the tie-rod than having the tie-rod behind the arms (which often causes bent tie-rods when you hit a rock with the front tire). Yes, you might hit the tie-rod itself on a rock, but chances of that are less than hitting the rock with the tire or catching a rut that often results in bent tie-rods.
Pretty much most off-road racing fabricators agree that having the tie-rod in front is a much better design... Arctic Cat listened to the desert racers on this one..

SXS Machine

Importer, wholesaler,
The outboard ends of the tie rods do sit in front of the a-arms, but that is the same as most top desert trucks and cars. It's a much stronger set up for the tie-rod than having the tie-rod behind the arms (which often causes bent tie-rods when you hit a rock with the front tire). Yes, you might hit the tie-rod itself on a rock, but chances of that are less than hitting the rock with the tire or catching a rut that often results in bent tie-rods.
Pretty much most off-road racing fabricators agree that having the tie-rod in front is a much better design... Arctic Cat listened to the desert racers on this one..
Thanks Daryl for that answer, lesson learned for me. I think I'd still be looking for a longer mounting bolt on the wheel end of the steering rod to put a custom UHMW(?) guard over that section just not having had the experience and confidance to find that out mid one of the only times I'll get to do one of the big events in Australia but thats very re-assuring to know its a feedback result. ;)

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Thanks for the info Darryl:D I myself am not worried about the lower shock mount from a jumping point of view, I'm thinking more on the rock crawling and dragging it across rocks:eek:

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Thanks for the info Darryl:D I myself am not worried about the lower shock mount from a jumping point of view, I'm thinking more on the rock crawling and dragging it across rocks:eek:
Yeah, and that is a valid point. I know a few people at ROTR in May, had problems with the RZR XP's trailing arms dragging on the rocks. But it seems once they learned how to drive with them, they were fine. The shock mount will definitely be a hangup point on the Wildcat. But I bet several aftermarket companies are going to have sliders for the trailing arms, if not complete replacement arms soon.
Yes, when you spend $16700 on a machine, it shouldn't have a need to immediately buy things to fix design problems, but I bet AC is listening closely to what everyone says and thinks... if enough raise valid points, then you might see a change...

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
Yep, looks like the bushes near Slash X / Stoddard Wells... I'm onto ya JD. Thats where everyone suspension tests.... what better place to mash a Wildcat
You bet me too it Jason. That looks like Outlet. Ill be out there this Saturday for their event. :cool:

There out at barstow before the outlets. The cat looked pretty roomy and comfortable, definitely more room than the RZR, wider seat area and more leg room. The bigger guys are going to love it. I was following them around in a stock teryx around some of the trails and looked like they steer pretty good, once we hit some whoops they were gone. We dont get to ride in them till next week so we'll let you guys know the outcome next week. O ya no gusets on the rear tubed trailing arm, they had no explanation. Looked beefy tho.

shawny125

Aug 8, 2011
joey can you verify if it has twin throttle bodies i think that will be the true power maker if it dose have them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000