Official: 2014 Mint 400 race thread

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Just a clarification: is this 'gay pride' Justin, or 'my race RZR is for sale' Justin. Just check'n. :)
Clarification fficefice" /><o:p></o>

Clarification <o:p></o>

Clarification <o:p></o>
neither!

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
O.k., here it comes. Get your coffee and put on your slippers boys and girls, because Badass Mav is most likely going to put his foot into his big, loud mouth. Well, I must say that I am pretty bummed out that the winning car in this years Mint 400 for some reason could not be tracked all day long. We had no idea how far ahead of us, if at all, the favorite Polaris team was. We only knew they were ahead of us because we started the race side by side with them. The fact that the other teams could not track them was an unfair advantage to the winning team for sure. I'm expecting that the content of the communications between the driver and crew of said car included updates of our position, relative to theirs. They knew exactly how far behind, and how fast, we we're, or were not catching them. They could adjust their efforts accordingly, while we could only race our own race. Although they were faster than I expected them to be, I believe that the 8 minute gap that they beat us by was surmountable, had we had access to their position throughout the race, as they did ours. Un-official comments were made regarding our SF 250 win, and how we must have cut the course to make up the time we did in the final miles to beat the x car. For the purpose of this post, it is not necessary to name names, but you know who you are. The fact is, our victory was legit, and the Can-am guys beat the x guys hands down. On a level playing field (well, level may not be accurate since none of the drivers in our class knows the Baja terrain as well as ours does. Advantage BAM. You boys best do your homework for the 500 & 1000!) I expect that if the "Polaris" sponsored Mint 400 was won by us in a Can-am entry, and our car was not able to be tracked throughout the race, that there would again be conversations or accusations going on as to the legitimacy or fairness of our victory. Get used to it. Our short wheelbase Can-am is going to be a thorn in the side of the once-favored team(s) in EVERY race that we enter. The car is Badass, and you will now need to share a slice of your pie with us, with or without liking to do so. As you can see, I (and I mean myself, for I am not speaking for anyone else) am pretty bitter that we were not provided an equal playing field to race against the top team. No dis-respect to any other teams or their efforts, but my crosshairs are squarely set on the x cars, and the obstacle that they represent, in our quest for the pro sportsman UTV class points championship in this years SCORE series, as well as success in all of the BITD races we enter. I say my mind here. Publicly. I will NOT make accusations, off the record, as to the validity of any teams efforts. I have always acknowledged and respected all teams in my postings since joining this forum last year. Because of my confidence and cockiness, we have not received the same, and perhaps that's my fault. You publicly minimized our existence throughout last year when our hardships were most likely to your amusement. Hell, right before the awards ceremony for this race, as we entered the room and stood right in front of your table, wearing the Can-am team apparel while looking for a place to be seated, you acted like we weren't even there. Again, not even acknowledging our existence. After a minute or so, it was our driver Marc Burnett who turned and extended his hand to BS and co. , and in a class act sincerely congratulated them on their win. I can't begin to imagine how much money you Polaris guys spend to win as much as you do, but I do know that it far exceeds the tiny amount of scratch we will have invested in our efforts to take away your SCORE title this year. I do realize that what Polaris does for, and puts into the sport of UTV racing, has benefitted the sport in whole, and in a positive way. But I am kind of curious how much of the technology used in building the x cars are shared with the lower, less fortunate Polaris teams they race with. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, what you guys are winning on. Yes, the hours spent on fine tuning your machine were undoubtedly long and laborious, but the results are directly related to the money available to a given team to overcome obstacles that would otherwise be overwhelming. In reading this post, most might conclude that I'm a sore loser. Not so. An example of that is one who does not stick around for an awards ceremony when they podium-ed a race that was won by a team they choose not to acknowledge. Ouch! Now that's gotta hurt. Just acknowledge us, or me once in a while, and I won't be such an a$$hole. Enough of my bitterness for now. About the race............................................ JX has not only gotten under my skin (as Francis Albert so eloquently sang), but evidentally into Marc's head as well. They paired us (The Monster Mav and Jagged X) up, side by side for the start, for what turned out to be the battle for top honors in the Pro sportsman UTV class. Marc nearly rolled over just seconds after the green flag dropped. Undoubtedly in an effort to show supremacy over the adjacent competitor. I was not there to see it, but our modest crew member (Honest Abe) was, and told me about it upon returning to our pits. It definitely added to the level of concern I had coming into this race about our cars ability to keep up with the "X's" on a course as fast as this one. Yes, it was rough, but still fast overall. I immediately got on the horn and told Marc to re-focus, and race our race for now. Not to let them into his head, as he obviously has done. We had one flat tire, somewhere around half way through the first lap (if memory serves me correctly. I unfortunately had health issues for the second consecutive race that diverted much of my focus from the task at hand). He began picking off cars, one by one. Driving with a sense of urgency, bumping to pass those who would not respond to the sound of our horn. Let me apologize here and now to Justin Lambert, and our friends at Cognito Motorports. Marc said he nerfed them pretty hard when passing them, and that he only tried to just tap them to let them know he wanted by. He is not a man of many words, and brought it up to me a couple of times, how bad he felt about it, so I know it is sincere. I'm sure a race report from Marc will be posted soon on his Fbook page, so I wont go into details here that I am not sure of.
For the sake of disclosure, we had only two problems en-route to our 2nd consecutive podium in as many races this year. A flat tire on lap 1, and our motor started cutting out in the final miles of lap 2. Our flat tire, and subsequent pit stop cost us around 10-12 minutes total of down time. I have developed this loose equation of sorts (and I am anal about math) from last seasons racing efforts regarding down time and how it relates to our chances of a podium finish. I will take this opportunity to share it with you now, because I know how you all love it when I boast and blow, but mostly because it is the platform that I use when strategizing a race, and is proving itself to be an accurate one. For every mile raced, on the rougher courses (35-40 mph average speeds), we can have 1/10 of a minute of down time and still be in contention to win the race. An example of this would be the San Felipe 250. 250 x 6 seconds (1/10th of a minute) = 25 (minutes). For faster courses (45-50 mph average speeds), cut that in half. An example would be the Mint "200". 200 x 3 seconds (1/20th of a minute) = 10 (minutes). In the 2 races we ran this year, the down time we had was within 10 % of what the formula suggests. I'm curious if other teams apply this to their past race results it it works across the board, or even consistently. You all know that I am always sharing whatever I find that works for us. I would like to say that after talking to many of the racers and fabricators for the first time over the weekend, that I am not as smart-a-guy as I thought I was! I would also like to thank the people who approached me in contingency to thank me for my online antics. I was humbled when rolling through contingency late, and a stranger approached me and extended his hand to me, thanking me for sharing what I do. Twice, just after the General Tire tent when the thick crowd had parted to allow me to idle the car through them with its distinctive and intimidating "thump", I was brought to tears when out of the crowd a voice yelled, "Yeah! Badass Mav!" Yay, I thought! I am somebody. It was really cool.
holy cow :eek:

regarding the rear ending we received, its all good, it was pretty harsh but i assumed it wasn't meant to be that hard of a hit. We have some rear bumper repairs, but i am not mad. Visibility was about ten feet at best, we were behind a trophy lite truck and were trying to be a little more patient and safe than Marc Burnett apparently.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Ried I'm gonna go out on a limb here....and say J-X nor polaris has anything to do with our poor tracking ability.....its the JUNK IRC system's fault...as a matter a fact we should have won that race in 25 minutes according to the 786mph that IRC has us running:eek:

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Just a clarification: is this 'gay pride' Justin, or 'my race RZR is for sale' Justin. Just check'n. :)
Clarification fficefice" /><O:p></O:p>

Clarification <O:p></O:p>

Clarification <O:p></O:p>
I dont care who ya are....thats funny right there!!!:eek:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Badassmav,
As far as IRC tracking goes we have not found them to be consistent in regards to accurate data or even working. Using the tracker as a tool to see your competitors is quite new for most teams. I'm sure only a hand full of teams are doing so. Like you said you knew the X team was ahead of you. Maybe you already do this, I dont know? But an easy way to keep track of your competitors is to do it like it has been done since the start of off road racing. Keep a time sheet in each pit. Log the times each car comes through, and radio to the next pit & race car to let them know how far away you are to the leader, or next car in class ahead of you. With only a 80+ mile course and with 3 pits you should easily be able to keep time on your competitors without using a tracking system.

To say you lost or they beat you because they could see you & you could not see them is probably a stretch. Is there a benefit to using the tracker? Sure, I would see a bigger benefit in a Baja race or a point to point race. But a multiple loop, not so much.

Fact is the Jagged X team is the most winning UTV team with the most support. And as you have said, probably out spends all the teams 10x over. But as Marc knows, this is the case with any class your in.

We dont know what issues the winning team had, if any. But you guys had a flat & some motor issues. In a 200 mile sprint race you cant have any issues. Because at every race there is always the one team that does not and gets a win.

So take your second place at the Mint "200" and move on to the next race. Its not like a win at this race is all that impressive anyways! Its not like it was the "Mint 400"! IMO bragging rights are to be had when you win a race like Vegas to Reno or a Baja 500 / 1000. Those races are full mileage point to point races where logistics are a huge factor on winning. Those are races to be proud of.

Hell I've won my share of races and a Championship. I could care less about them. The only two races I have yet to win are the 500 & 1000 and those are the only two I would really brag about.

BTW I raced the Mint 400 when Snore first brought it back & we finished 2nd to a car that we later found out was a cheater car. Looking back on it, It would have been cool to have the win as we did race all 400 miles, but it still would not mean anything close to a Baja 500 or 1000 win.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Actually you should be calling IRC you pay a crap load of money for there product. they are suppose to check every car before race and address before they leave start line. I will say bill schueller is a stand up guy he would do anything to help anybody out.
I'm not saying that BS is not a stand up guy. I don't even know him. I only realized at SF that there was more than one Schueller! I only know of the reception he and the x guys have or have not extended to us when we entered into this class last year. My postings are not about any one specific person, rather the mindset of the team in general. It possibly relates to even a more personal issue I have with myself than with them. I headed an effort that is doing well, and I want respect for it. I did not intend to have a negative impact when deciding to post in this forum. I instead wanted to expose our car, and the design criteria and decisions that influenced the building of it it, as well as boast a bit about my dwindling skills. About the IRC thing, I know they had a difficult time in acquiring enough units for this event. They told me so when they installed ours in contingency. The fact that the team that is favored to win gets the luck of a broken tracker may or may not be a coincidence. A coincidence that we would have liked to have been bestowed upon us! ("I'm just sayin"). I'm curious if anyone out there knows how many of the tracker units that IRC installed for this years Mint did not work? I know that the car in front of me at the IRC trailer on Friday ( it was an old blue SCORE challenger car that had electrical problems, so said the IRC guy) was NOT allowed to leave the trailer until they could get the tracker working. I assumed, and still do, that it is mandatory to start the race with a working tracker. I make that statement without any knowledge whatsoever regarding the use and operation of said tracking devices in BITD events.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Badassmav,
As far as IRC tracking goes we have not found them to be consistent in regards to accurate data or even working. Using the tracker as a tool to see your competitors is quite new for most teams. I'm sure only a hand full of teams are doing so. Like you said you knew the X team was ahead of you. Maybe you already do this, I dont know? But an easy way to keep track of your competitors is to do it like it has been done since the start of off road racing. Keep a time sheet in each pit. Log the times each car comes through, and radio to the next pit & race car to let them know how far away you are to the leader, or next car in class ahead of you. With only a 80+ mile course and with 3 pits you should easily be able to keep time on your competitors without using a tracking system.

To say you lost or they beat you because they could see you & you could not see them is probably a stretch. Is there a benefit to using the tracker? Sure, I would see a bigger benefit in a Baja race or a point to point race. But a multiple loop, not so much.

Fact is the Jagged X team is the most winning UTV team with the most support. And as you have said, probably out spends all the teams 10x over. But as Marc knows, this is the case with any class your in.

We dont know what issues the winning team had, if any. But you guys had a flat & some motor issues. In a 200 mile sprint race you cant have any issues. Because at every race there is always the one team that does not and gets a win.

So take your second place at the Mint "200" and move on to the next race. Its not like a win at this race is all that impressive anyways! Its not like it was the "Mint 400"! IMO bragging rights are to be had when you win a race like Vegas to Reno or a Baja 500 / 1000. Those races are full mileage point to point races where logistics are a huge factor on winning. Those are races to be proud of.

Hell I've won my share of races and a Championship. I could care less about them. The only two races I have yet to win are the 500 & 1000 and those are the only two I would really brag about.

BTW I raced the Mint 400 when Snore first brought it back & we finished 2nd to a car that we later found out was a cheater car. Looking back on it, It would have been cool to have the win as we did race all 400 miles, but it still would not mean anything close to a Baja 500 or 1000 win.
Well put. I agree with most everything except the value of a short distance race win, and the ability to win with enough time to allow for problems during the race. We had a flat tire, broken belt, and poor pit stops, and still won the SF 250 (+/-) with a half hour to spare. Also, with as tragic of a season as we suffered through last year, ANY wins and podiums are huge for us. Marc and I agreed going into the Mint that a podium would be a victory for our car. We go into all Mexico races with the confidence that we have the advantage over even the top teams to win the race because of Marc's driving skills and knowledge of the courses, and the alternative landscape that the Baja terrain offers. We fully expect to win these races, and are blind-sided when we don't. I will not make any more "insinuations" regarding the Mint race than my original post didn't already make. I will however, respond to all threads to said posting if necessary to clarify or defend my words. Thanks for your up front reply.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Good Morning all,
So I thought I would check out the Mint Thread to see some great race reports and instead I come on to find a competitor bashing our team , So My first response was also WOW!.
I have read some of the BAM posts in the past and have just thought Huh.... this guy has a lot of time on his hands.

I do not spend too much time posting here but I feel compelled to respond to these comments that question the integrity of our team.

First to address the tracking issue: We checked in with IRC on Friday morning to pick up our trackers and IRC told us that they did not have trackers for our cars They did not have enough trackers but were working on the problem. We were told to check back with them later in the day. We communicated with IRC all day long and at the end of contingency they still did not have trackers for us. We were told that Casey would make an announcement at the drivers meeting to address this. At the end of the drivers meeting we went to Casey and told him that in fact we still did not have a trackers for either of our cars. Casey's comment was " that's not my problem" At that point we took it upon ourselves to track down IRC and finally at about 9:00 PM they got trackers in our cars. The 1931 tracker linked up immediately but the 1919 tracker did not. We were told (as we have been told in the past) " it will link it just takes a while" Wel it never did link up. At the starting line we again found the IRC People and they worked on our tracker right up to the start of the race. I hate the IRC system! When it works it's cool but unfortunately it is not reliable and has a long way to go. The Whole IRC debate has been covered many times over on many levels and forums so I won't go any further into that, " get used to it"
We do not even attempt to use the IRC system as any sort of tool in our race strategy and I would recommend the same to any team. So If the lack of IRC tracking cost you race then call them, don't bash us.

As for any un official comments for the SF-250, the only comments that I heard multiple times was "where did the 1905 car come" from because no one saw them all day long and no one saw the car pass the 1932 "X" car but They were on the podium 20 minutes before us. Anyway that's okay and we are very happy with a podium finish after having a late mechanical issue that could have very well taken us out of the race. And I also recall reading a congratulation go out to both the Winner and the second place finishers from Team JX.

Indeed we are going to need to "do our homework" for Baja Apparently a creative strategy is very helpful. BTW I heard that Marc is close friends with Roger Norman and gets to help mark the course for the Baja races?. If that's true please give us a call next time we would love to help. I think that could really be helpful when planning our strategy.

As for the Awards, Sorry if our team did not "acknowledge" your presence but the fact is that until then I have never really even formally met Marc Burnett. We had a brief and very cordial conversation and mutual accolades were exchanged. Sorry if this was not acceptable.

I'm really not sure how the Jagged X team managed to "get under your skin" so deeply but if you feel that any of our team has disrespected you or your team in the past I apologize. In fact we are all too well aware of the Bullseye that we carry with us.
We have had great success in UTV racing over the past 7 years. And I know that there are many teams gunning for us at every race. We simply try to bring our best game to every race our whole team works very hard to insure our success.

We try to present a professional and competitive team at every race. We hope that no one could ever question the integrity or sportsmanship of our team.

BS JX

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
I'd love some popcorn but I'm on a diet right now! I really like reading about the desert racing looks like the competition is heating up :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

This might be the dumbest thing I have read here in a long time, well next to someone saying that Jagged X is anythign less than professional and respected.... lol

I respect your opinion but to say that wining or podium placing at The Mint is not impressive is so stupid its laughable.

The UTVs had the EXACT same attrition rate as Trophy Trucks! 50%! With the course deteriorating and the amount of machines to contend with... come on.. I get it, we all would like to see UTVs get the full 4 and really make it a challenge, but to say its nothing to brag about? Were you even there? BEcause it was the closest thing to Daytona or a super bowl this sport has. Not even the Baja 1000 felt like the Mint did this year.

I am all for everyone voicing their opinons, and not everyone has to like everything I say either, but I think your comments not only discredit the guys who did podium, it also discredits the 26 racers that fought their asses off to finish!

I got another one for you.. I bet the UTVs end up with more TV time in the 2 hour documentary Mad Media does on this race (not the red bull signature show as that is for unlimited only) then all of the SCORE races combined this year! ANOTHER reason why this race is the biggest desert race all year for UTVs.. 2 laps or 10 laps..

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
This might be the dumbest thing I have read here in a long time, well next to someone saying that Jagged X is anythign less than professional and respected.... lol

I respect your opinion but to say that wining or podium placing at The Mint is not impressive is so stupid its laughable.

The UTVs had the EXACT same attrition rate as Trophy Trucks! 50%! With the course deteriorating and the amount of machines to contend with... come on.. I get it, we all would like to see UTVs get the full 4 and really make it a challenge, but to say its nothing to brag about? Were you even there? BEcause it was the closest thing to Daytona or a super bowl this sport has. Not even the Baja 1000 felt like the Mint did this year.

I am all for everyone voicing their opinons, and not everyone has to like everything I say either, but I think your comments not only discredit the guys who did podium, it also discredits the 26 racers that fought their asses off to finish!

I got another one for you.. I bet the UTVs end up with more TV time in the 2 hour documentary Mad Media does on this race (not the red bull signature show as that is for unlimited only) then all of the SCORE races combined this year! ANOTHER reason why this race is the biggest desert race all year for UTVs.. 2 laps or 10 laps..
Joey I did not mean to hurt feelings and after re-reading it I can see how some will take it that way. I 100% congratulate anyone who not only won this race, but I congratulate all the finishers. Look at my previous post prior to the race. I wished everyone a great race and hoped for a high finishing rate. What I'm saying is I feel the UTV's and 80% of the other classes who get short changed the actual advertized mileage of the race. It disappoints me because I grew up going to the Mint when my Grandfather raced. I'm a 3rd generation off-road racer and I understand the history & importance in a race. I just feel that is diluted when you short change all but the top few top classes. Off-road racing was and still is about endurance. This race was not about endurance, unless you think 200 miles is the most the UTV's should be racing?

I am actually surprised Polaris is OK with this as they spent a lot of money sponsoring this event.

For me, racing this Mint and only getting to run 1/2 the distance is not winning the Mint 400. Sorry, its just not. What they need to do is take the 400 off the name and call the race the Mint. Then if you race 200 , 300 or 400 miles you are the winner of the Mint. Not the Mint 400 with only going 200 miles.

So once again I'm sorry if my comments looked like I was diminishing or taking away the fact that Jagged X won and Marc came in second. A race is a race no matter how long the distance.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Joey I did not mean to hurt feelings and after re-reading it I can see how some will take it that way. I 100% congratulate anyone who not only won this race, but I congratulate all the finishers. Look at my previous post prior to the race. I wished everyone a great race and hoped for a high finishing rate. What I'm saying is I feel the UTV's and 80% of the other classes who get short changed the actual advertized mileage of the race. It disappoints me because I grew up going to the Mint when my Grandfather raced. I'm a 3rd generation off-road racer and I understand the history & importance in a race. I just feel that is diluted when you short change all but the top few top classes. Off-road racing was and still is about endurance. This race was not about endurance, unless you think 200 miles is the most the UTV's should be racing?

I am actually surprised Polaris is OK with this as they spent a lot of money sponsoring this event.

For me, racing this Mint and only getting to run 1/2 the distance is not winning the Mint 400. Sorry, its just not. What they need to do is take the 400 off the name and call the race the Mint. Then if you race 200 , 300 or 400 miles you are the winner of the Mint. Not the Mint 400 with only going 200 miles.

So once again I'm sorry if my comments looked like I was diminishing or taking away the fact that Jagged X won and Marc came in second. A race is a race no matter how long the distance.
Just win it 2 years in a row and it will be the 400.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Polaris is not only happy, they are pumped! 50 UTVs +/- in attendance, the best TV package in off-road that actually includes UTVs, a promotor in Mad Media that has vested interest in the growth of the UTV class, and on and on and on... Ill tell you what, Can-Am, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, John Deere and even Yamaha should be pumped on the Mint! They were all pretty well represented.

Again, its a bummer that not everyone can do the full 4, but it is what it is for now.. I know The Mint 400 staff do want to get everyone the full 4, they do, trust me, I work with them DAILY and have personally sat in on the conversations. BUT with that said, when you look at the attrition rate after 2 laps I think what UTVs got was not only adequate but it was proof that even at 2 laps this race is no walk in the park! With that said, another lap or 2 would really shake things up, and we are all for that but it will need to come with time. This isn't some push of the button situation. Its timing in the day, its safety, its BLM!! Its not just Mad Media / The Mint 400 staff.

With that said, the fact that they did 200 of the 400 at THE MINT 400 at the end of the day should not mean squat other than they either won, placed or finished THE MINT! The MINT is what The Baja is, is what Dayton is, is what the Super Bowl is.... its more than a race, and to win it against all of the best of the best is an accomplishment....

chill720

Jul 1, 2011
Johnson City, TN
I will 100% back JX on the IRC....I was behind them in line at IRC and heard the whole conversation, and the same was said about ours, none available! Same thing for Casey after DM, except he said 1st I am hearing of this. Found IRC about 930, nothing. IRC found us at 5:15am and put in our IRC on site very fast. It took until right at start to link up with was over an hour from the time they started.
Not taking sides, but I wanted to state JX was 100% there trying to get online and installed like I was.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
My hats off to the whole Jagged X team! Their success, combined with their overall presence and sportsmanship is second to none. This team went out of their way to assist with some technical issues that I had during the race. I had no support at remote pit 1. Although Jaggeds cars were through pit 1 on lap 2, their chase team stayed late to ensure that I had the spare tire that they swapped from wheel to wheel for me.

Another special thanks to Team Jean, and Paul Hart for lending me one of their spares to go on to a solid top 10 finish!

In regards to safety and what classes are allowed to run in our race...... I'll be seeing a chiropractor and replacing parts of my car from what I would call an extremely unprofessional nerfing that I took from what appeared to be a trophy truck sized pre-runner. I'm guessing they hit us going 20 mph faster than we were traveling with no warning, no sirens, ect. It was dangerous, costly, inconsiderate, and disrespectful. If I knew who this driver was I would have no problem engaging in a professional discussion about safety and respect of other racers.

Thanks to UTV Inc, Lonestar Racing, Fox, ITP, PRP, Rigid, PCI!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000