Official: 2014 Mint 400 race thread

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> My post Mint 400 race attack on the X guys was harsh, and after reading over it numerous times, I would like to apoplogize to said team for my speculation on a few points that I made.
1) I have no idea what any of the teams would have done or said if we won the race with our tracker not working. To say there would be protests or discrediting our win from other teams was out of line.
2) To say that our disastrous first season of racing UTV's most likely "amused" any of the teams in our class was un called for and un-founded. The fact that I feel that way is a personal issue within myself, and my confidence as a person in todays society.
3) Inferring that the X team were sore losers because they did not attend the awards ceremony in SF was without foundation. I have no idea why they did not attend, and really went overboard calling them names for it. My sincerest of apologies for it.
In my defense though, using the tracker that any promoter uses to monitor an event, is just common sense. I didn't see anyone say they DON'T do it, including the X guys. I would be surprised to hear that, with all the preparation they go through for an event, that they do not use that information to assist in their racing strategy.
Also: I know for a fact that two different teams made comments about our SF win regarding our margin of victory in SF, and its legitimacy. One of the two teams finished behind the middle of the pack, and a DQ of our win would not have benefitted them. Again, I am not going to mention names. Suffice it to say that both teams now know we are aware of their statements.
I'm not trying to bash the X guys, and I also knew in posting that I wouldn't be making any new friends, but them not taking the initiative to acknowledge our presence when we were standing right in front of them at the awards banquet is just a fact. Because we were never formally introduced doesn't mean that they didn't know who we were. Our team shirts loudly announced that fact. Perhaps, that is considered being nice or friendly in other circles, but not in mine. Many replies to my rant commented that the X guys are always kind and helpful, and I'm sure they are. I am also sure that, as I claimed, that they do not share initimate details on what works for them, as far as design and set up is concerned. Not many do. I do. I am happy to give any informattion I have learned in the process of building our car, if it will help the more technically challenged teams finish more and spend less in doing so. It also tightens the gap between us and them on the race course.
MP asked, "What happened?" Racing used to be done on the track. Money, social media, and ego's are three of the main contributing factors when comparing the good old days (my favorite time) to today. Put a bunch of guys in quality team apparel, driving the highest quality cars, and give them some dark sunglasses, then watch how they stare right through you and your "hack" race car and torn T's as they roll on by you in contingency, or bump into you at the mini mart as they fuel up during an event, or give attention to their digital whatever they are holding in their hand, instead of giving it to you as you are speaking. I was talking to a group of those exact type of guys at the Mint. Only one guy (the one I was talking to) had any facial expressions or body language at all. The rest just stared at me, motionless through their dark sunglasses like I was an alien, as I was divuldging any and all information they requested. The older guy was nice, but his young cronies were a bunch of macho F's that looked at me like.........well I wont speculate, but it sure wasn't warm.
I have, by choice, lived my life over the last 4 years as a homeless bum. My lack of confidence seems to always challenge my faith in people. I admit my faults and short comings, and find it irritating when others don't. I will walk away from my post I made without the acknowledgement that one thing I said had merit, when, in fact, a good part of what was said is does. I remember those days of racing Matt, when many would camp out, with our cars at the course and break bread with whomever strolled up. Hanging out after the race and making connections, and sometimes friends was part of the weekends events. The pressure by our sponsors to look good, and to perform is higher than ever, and is eating away at the foundation of off road racing, as it has with any type of racing. It separates the classification of its participants, not only on the course and in technology, but social status as well. I joined a forum, not so much to befriend people, but more to share with them my hard work and its results. To help narrow the gap between the mom and pop teams and the factory-backed guys. Most of all, to help the newer guys learning curve of trial and error be a more fruitful one. If you met me away from this screen, I am as humble and genuine a person as one can imagine. I carry a huge chip on my shoulder, and that should be my cross to bear. I shouldn't make assinine accusations without foundation BUT, others should be able to have just a bit of humility and not just write me off as (fill in the blank). Yes, I do have time on my hands. I have no commitment to anything other than my dogs and the race car that I maintain. You will notice that the majority of my posts are used to share and give. I boast quite often, but that's harmless. Would the X team, or any top team for that matter give out exact data on how their spindle is built, or the type and thickness of the metal in their control arms? Now that is what I consider being helpful is. Sharing the hows and why's of ones winning car has to rank right up there with waiting for a competitor with a spare tire for him after your car has passed, unless of course a big mouth like me is the one giving out design sescrets. Then, only the wrong things I said in my post are acknowledged, and somehow the good or accurate side is swept under the carpet, and I am dis-credited. I'll try to keep quiet from now on and just finish out my commitment to preparing the Monster Mav this season. I've made my splash.
Marc's race recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3LS2vEQhs
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I bet there isnt this much drama in the LPGA. And they dont even get to drive the golf carts!

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Very special thank you to whomever wrote our name and race # on a stick in the Can Am pit area and then proceeded to leave trash. I didn't even pit there but I am being penalized 30 min for trash left in that pit. Thanks a bunch. Please don't ever save me a spot again. I'm sure Marc and the Murrays are not happy campers either as they were penalized also.

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
Where did you see this?

Too bad for those who did not litter.

Bout time for those who did!!!!!
at the very bottom of the lap 2 race results on bitd page. lots of 1900 cars for littering. not good.....i think i counted around 8 1900 cars.. or mabe i am reading it wrong...

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Whoa! Went from 4th to 2nd.

http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/pdfs/Mint400/2014Mint400Race1-2Lap.pdf

So how do I get that 2nd place Mint 400 (-200) trophy? (jk).

I think it sucks that there were penalties that changed the results. As I said before, I would rather do my racing on the race course, but at the end of the day, Scanlon's 1931 ended up getting some solid points.

Reactions: 1 person

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> My post Mint 400 race attack on the X guys was harsh, and after reading over it numerous times, I would like to apoplogize to said team for my speculation on a few points that I made.
1) I have no idea what any of the teams would have done or said if we won the race with our tracker not working. To say there would be protests or discrediting our win from other teams was out of line.
2) To say that our disastrous first season of racing UTV's most likely "amused" any of the teams in our class was un called for and un-founded. The fact that I feel that way is a personal issue within myself, and my confidence as a person in todays society.
3) Inferring that the X team were sore losers because they did not attend the awards ceremony in SF was without foundation. I have no idea why they did not attend, and really went overboard calling them names for it. My sincerest of apologies for it.
In my defense though, using the tracker that any promoter uses to monitor an event, is just common sense. I didn't see anyone say they DON'T do it, including the X guys. I would be surprised to hear that, with all the preparation they go through for an event, that they do not use that information to assist in their racing strategy.
Also: I know for a fact that two different teams made comments about our SF win regarding our margin of victory in SF, and its legitimacy. One of the two teams finished behind the middle of the pack, and a DQ of our win would not have benefitted them. Again, I am not going to mention names. Suffice it to say that both teams now know we are aware of their statements.
I'm not trying to bash the X guys, and I also knew in posting that I wouldn't be making any new friends, but them not taking the initiative to acknowledge our presence when we were standing right in front of them at the awards banquet is just a fact. Because we were never formally introduced doesn't mean that they didn't know who we were. Our team shirts loudly announced that fact. Perhaps, that is considered being nice or friendly in other circles, but not in mine. Many replies to my rant commented that the X guys are always kind and helpful, and I'm sure they are. I am also sure that, as I claimed, that they do not share initimate details on what works for them, as far as design and set up is concerned. Not many do. I do. I am happy to give any informattion I have learned in the process of building our car, if it will help the more technically challenged teams finish more and spend less in doing so. It also tightens the gap between us and them on the race course.
MP asked, "What happened?" Racing used to be done on the track. Money, social media, and ego's are three of the main contributing factors when comparing the good old days (my favorite time) to today. Put a bunch of guys in quality team apparel, driving the highest quality cars, and give them some dark sunglasses, then watch how they stare right through you and your "hack" race car and torn T's as they roll on by you in contingency, or bump into you at the mini mart as they fuel up during an event, or give attention to their digital whatever they are holding in their hand, instead of giving it to you as you are speaking. I was talking to a group of those exact type of guys at the Mint. Only one guy (the one I was talking to) had any facial expressions or body language at all. The rest just stared at me, motionless through their dark sunglasses like I was an alien, as I was divuldging any and all information they requested. The older guy was nice, but his young cronies were a bunch of macho F's that looked at me like.........well I wont speculate, but it sure wasn't warm.
I have, by choice, lived my life over the last 4 years as a homeless bum. My lack of confidence seems to always challenge my faith in people. I admit my faults and short comings, and find it irritating when others don't. I will walk away from my post I made without the acknowledgement that one thing I said had merit, when, in fact, a good part of what was said is does. I remember those days of racing Matt, when many would camp out, with our cars at the course and break bread with whomever strolled up. Hanging out after the race and making connections, and sometimes friends was part of the weekends events. The pressure by our sponsors to look good, and to perform is higher than ever, and is eating away at the foundation of off road racing, as it has with any type of racing. It separates the classification of its participants, not only on the course and in technology, but social status as well. I joined a forum, not so much to befriend people, but more to share with them my hard work and its results. To help narrow the gap between the mom and pop teams and the factory-backed guys. Most of all, to help the newer guys learning curve of trial and error be a more fruitful one. If you met me away from this screen, I am as humble and genuine a person as one can imagine. I carry a huge chip on my shoulder, and that should be my cross to bear. I shouldn't make assinine accusations without foundation BUT, others should be able to have just a bit of humility and not just write me off as (fill in the blank). Yes, I do have time on my hands. I have no commitment to anything other than my dogs and the race car that I maintain. You will notice that the majority of my posts are used to share and give. I boast quite often, but that's harmless. Would the X team, or any top team for that matter give out exact data on how their spindle is built, or the type and thickness of the metal in their control arms? Now that is what I consider being helpful is. Sharing the hows and why's of ones winning car has to rank right up there with waiting for a competitor with a spare tire for him after your car has passed, unless of course a big mouth like me is the one giving out design sescrets. Then, only the wrong things I said in my post are acknowledged, and somehow the good or accurate side is swept under the carpet, and I am dis-credited. I'll try to keep quiet from now on and just finish out my commitment to preparing the Monster Mav this season. I've made my splash.
Marc's race recap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3LS2vEQhs
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
Hey Reid..... I think at heart your probably a good guy. You defiantly have a way with words and aren't afraid to voice your opinion. My advice to you is to try not to be judgmental and think about your posts before you start typing. :) I respect your fabrication skills and wished I would of had the opportunity to check out your guys Maverick at the Mint. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your fab skills but it's all about the presentation on this forum.....My advice is to keep your posts to 30 words or less and add lots of smiles :):):D:D:eek::eek:!!! Just some friendly advice! :D...... On another note were you pitting out at pit B?? We came in looking for some tires and ended up waiting there 45min before they showed up. I talked to a guy that had a Murray Can Am sweat shirt on but it looked like you guys had tires and parts for your car??

Reactions: 1 person

rockstarcustomz

Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I don't believe for a minute that any of the racers on that list left trash. There were gobs of spectator/pit crew people hanging around after we left. We don't leave trash, but I have no control over what happens after I leave the area.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I'm not sure how you hold teams responsible? Or how you prove it was a particular team ?

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
Especially with how windy it was on Saturday.
no kidding. i think next time mabe grab a bitd official and have him look over your pit just before you leave.sounds kinda anal but to avoid the penalty outcome , it would be worth it.i know a few of the affected and i highly doubt that they would do such a thing either(LITTER)

rockstarcustomz

Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
no kidding. i think next time mabe grab a bitd official and have him look over your pit just before you leave.sounds kinda anal but to avoid the penalty outcome , it would be worth it.i know a few of the affected and i highly doubt that they would do such a thing either(LITTER)
Exactly what I was thinking.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
So how is BITD proving it was a particular team? I get if they found a marked stake or item with a car # on it. But how are they to know that the trash was not from the 2nd race or wind blown from 2 spots down? Are they showing the teams pictures or some proof? I would assume they would have to show the DOR some proof of why you are being given a penalty. Especially a penalty that takes you out of of a trophy or payback position.

I know in the past when we have raced the morning race there are teams waiting to get our spots as soon as we leave. Many times because we are friends with several class 1 & TT teams, we have them asking us the night before if we will give them our spot or share until we are done.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000