Official UTVUnderground 2014 Lucas Oil So-Cal Regional RD2 Photos-Results

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Yeah thanks Joey & Rusty,
&
Great job Ken and Lucas Oil for growing this series and industry to what it has become!

Awesome family environment style racing and friendly pits... great series to race or just come to spectate. It's very exciting being able to watch the racing unfold the entire time, being able to see about the entire track from any seat in the house. Every race had battles to keep you on the edge of your seat, from trophy Karts to Pro Light trucks.

Dirty

DIRTY iPhone Photog / Lucas Oil - UTVUnderground A
Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Big thanks to Poppy, Lee, Cindy, my wife and our great crew. Shout out to the best safety crew in the business that keep our racers safe. Rad media coverage from the Underground! Big props to Lucas Oil's Robert Wilson as he brought in a ton of key sponsors and is also a racer in the SR1 class. Thanks to all the racers that are bringing an exciting show that's fun to watch. We have that oldschool party in the pits feel, business on the track program. (Party for the spectators). We couldn't do this without the help from all the great sponsors we have.

Shout out to the Utv Wolfpack. Jason and Jeremy are big advocates.

Also- Cognito crew. Justin make his way from Bakersfield. Staggs for keeping the competition tight

IMG crew for stepping in the game.

Bryan at CarrOne. They had a ton of racers representing this weekend.

Corry and Jason Weller for bringing the Optima Batteries SR1 championship to So Cal.

The list goes on. Thanks to all.

Last edited:

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Yeah thanks Joey & Rusty,
&
Great job Ken and Lucas Oil for growing this series and industry to what it has become!

Awesome family environment style racing and friendly pits... great series to race or just come to spectate. It's very exciting being able to watch the racing unfold the entire time, being able to see about the entire track from any seat in the house. Every race had battles to keep you on the edge of your seat, from trophy Karts to Pro Light trucks.

Thanks Bruce!

Tommy , Code and Ryan P had an epic battle in the Production 1000 class. There top time were within 2/100th on lap 11 of 12. Them boys were charging all the way to the finish.

We hope to see you at a couple more Regionals. #ScrantonBoys

Fun, Family Friendly and Great Competition.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
To all the UTV racers, I have a concern.

This past weekend I saw more damaged and wrecked cars, and more rough driving than I can recall since we started racing the Regionals last season. At the speeds ALL the UTV’s (SR1, XP, 1000) are going I’m afraid someone is going to get unnecessarily hurt.

We started racing the Regionals over WORCS because it was much easier on both the car and driver, something I have heard repeated to me several times over the last year as we continue to see the car counts grow however, if what I saw last Saturday continues it will not stay that way for long.

You won’t win the race the first lap on a freshly watered track, especially at Elsinore, settle in.

If you don’t have a personal spotter invest in a radio package and get someone in the stands to watch out for you. Relying on Lee over the spotters channel is not the way to do it, it’s unfair to him and puts you at a serious disadvantage

If your spotter is getting more caught up in watching the race than keeping you out of trouble replace them with someone who can watch a straightaway ahead of you and can communicate effectively.

Look ahead, hold your line.

With good tight racing there will be racing contact, it’s unavoidable but I think we all need continue looking out for each other, for the betterment of our class, our series, and ourselves. We’ve done a good job so far, let’s keep it up.

If you wanna go play “rubbins racing†go race your badassself a ProLite at the Nationals and see what rubbins really like…

FWIW, my .02

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
To all the UTV racers, I have a concern.

This past weekend I saw more damaged and wrecked cars, and more rough driving than I can recall since we started racing the Regionals last season. At the speeds ALL the UTV’s (SR1, XP, 1000) are going I’m afraid someone is going to get unnecessarily hurt.

We started racing the Regionals over WORCS because it was much easier on both the car and driver, something I have heard repeated to me several times over the last year as we continue to see the car counts grow however, if what I saw last Saturday continues it will not stay that way for long.

You won’t win the race the first lap on a freshly watered track, especially at Elsinore, settle in.

If you don’t have a personal spotter invest in a radio package and get someone in the stands to watch out for you. Relying on Lee over the spotters channel is not the way to do it, it’s unfair to him and puts you at a serious disadvantage

If your spotter is getting more caught up in watching the race than keeping you out of trouble replace them with someone who can watch a straightaway ahead of you and can communicate effectively.

Look ahead, hold your line.

With good tight racing there will be racing contact, it’s unavoidable but I think we all need continue looking out for each other, for the betterment of our class, our series, and ourselves. We’ve done a good job so far, let’s keep it up.

If you wanna go play “rubbins racing†go race your badassself a ProLite at the Nationals and see what rubbins really like…

FWIW, my .02
With that said, all in all, the races were great battles for the front positions in both the Production 1000 class and especially the XP900 class, which looked like a very hard battle. I think the 1000 race was awesome and great driving by all top 3 drivers, who also were the top three in qualifying... which went Rahders, Piplic, Scranton. Not sure who would want to make any contact in this style racing... but it does happen,shoot I am on the radios saying, "do not touch, do not touch!" haha mainly because our credit cards are maxed and we can't afford to fix anything lol I was happy to have Cody and Ryan up front with Tommy being we know they are clean, good drivers and we do not need to worry about getting the old pit maneuver or something worse... for any contact we did make, sorry, but it was as little as possible, especially compared to what we have been through already this year.

Great driving to all the drivers and thanks to Cody, for making the race so exciting in 2 classes.

I do have to give huge props to my brother Tommy Scranton for finally getting it on the top of the podium after over a 3 year break from racing and one tough 2013 season. Great driving and great race!

and thanks to Lucas Oil for another great round...!

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Well put Dnf736 and BrArmor. Our series is growing faster then ever. I've been fortunate have been apart of both of your programs from day one and are glad to see where you are now. We need the racer to also educate other racers and both of you have a ton of knowledge. Safety is a big deal at Lucas Oil and it's to benefit everyone. We are always open to constructive suggest to grow the sport. Thanks to all that support the series and Utv Racing.

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Well put Dnf736 and BrArmor. Our series is growing faster then ever. I've been fortunate have been apart of both of your programs from day one and are glad to see where you are now. We need the racer to also educate other racers and both of you have a ton of knowledge. Safety is a big deal at Lucas Oil and it's to benefit everyone. We are always open to constructive suggest to grow the sport. Thanks to all that support the series and Utv Racing.
Just an idea, but I did talk to some of the other drivers and it would be cool to grow it this season, to have a Pro class next year that you need to qualify for. This way, not just anyone can sign up as a pro, not even saying we would qualify but it would separate the pros and the inters. No pro card no pro class....? But I do like the excitement these races currently have...lol

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I want to say thanks Lucas Oill, these regional series are awesome!

This is my favorite course and Robert, Ken, and myself decided to head over from Az for the weekend and do some racing. I hadn't been on the track since last year so qualifying was mostly feeling out the track and finding some good lines.

For the main they put the Unlimited UTV class behind the Production 1000 class which made for an interesting race. The first lap was very crowded but I managed to gain a couple spots and avoid any trouble. I had a good race going on with Brandon Hong as we made our way through the Production class. We traded places a couple times and I eventually got a bit of breathing room and was able to win the unlimited class and pass all but 4 of the production cars.

I would love to see a Open Pro class and let the Kawi's race with the Can Am's and Polaris'. This would be a blast with pretty much even powered vehicles.

Thanks Muzzys, Dragonfire, Streamline, Wicked Built, Redline, Kelly's Kawasaki, and Lucas oil!

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
Great points Doug. In my opinion we have reached the time that the spotters should be mandatory in every class. I too have a kid that races and would never let him on a short coarse off road track in any class without a spotter. Lee and KJ and myself worked very hard on coming up with an affordable way the racers could all have radios and spotters.

I invested a lot of money buying radios and gear that can be rented to the racer at the track on a per race bases to help out. We also had our own radio bags made that will easily Velcro to the cage to make the install faster and cheaper.

My .02, don't race with your mirror, hold your lines and always have a spotter.

As far as buying or renting radios? Get them from PCI, Rugged, Racer X or anyone, but please just get them and a good spotter.

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
I'd like to chime in since I was involved in one of the biggest crashes of the day. Being a grass roots entry level series we're going to consistently have people like myself that have very little race experience. All I feel like I can do is share my experience and point out how important it is to have patience in the early laps. I was worried about getting up front fast so Weller's couldn't get away and Nelson and Thompson couldn't pass me up. I simply was trying too hard too soon. After watching the race from inside the tow truck I saw that I would have had plenty of time to turn laps and make passes later on. There's no way you can win the race in the first 5 laps, but you sure as hell can loose it.

Reactions: 1 person

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Bruce, my comments are not intended to single anyone out or is it about the top three, it was what I saw going on from 5th back in all the classes, it concerns me.

Both you and Tommy as well as ourselves, James & Johnny, the Wellers, Ken, go back to the Podium and M4SX days and further. We’ve seen the peaks and valleys of racer participation in short course over the years, right now were on a definet up swing. 52 cars, that’s impressive but what do we need to do to see continued growth?

What can we do to improve the racing for everyone within ourselves? A little Feng Shui for you all.

All right, enough of that.

Spotters and radios, invest!

As far as qualifying I am not a fan of that. If you want to have a Pro race Im not sure there's enough time in the day with the current schedule without eliminating something else so what about a dash for cash right after the last practice on Friday night? It was done with the ProLites last year and It should work between all the different classes, the P2/P4 and PL/PB Cup races have proven that.

Edit, Clarification. Timed qualifying, absolutely. Qualifying through the LCQ, not really a fan.

Last edited:

BrArmor

Scranton Boys Racing OG
Oct 5, 2011
Lake Elsinore, Ca
www.imgms.com
Bruce, my comments are not intended to single anyone out or is it about the top three, it was what I saw going on from 5th back in all the classes, it concerns me.

Both you and Tommy as well as ourselves, James & Johnny, the Wellers, Ken, go back to the Podium and M4SX days and further. We’ve seen the peaks and valleys of racer participation in short course over the years, right now were on a definet up swing. 52 cars, that’s impressive but what do we need to do to see continued growth?

What can we do to improve the racing for everyone within ourselves? A little Feng Shui for you all.

All right, enough of that.

Spotters and radios, invest!

As far as qualifying I am not a fan of that. If you want to have a Pro race Im not sure there's enough time in the day with the current schedule without eliminating something else so what about a dash for cash right after the last practice on Friday night? It was done with the ProLites last year and It should work between all the different classes, the P2/P4 and PL/PB Cup races have proven that.
Yeah I see what you're saying Doug, it would be very tough to split the classes like that and do qualifying without removing a race or two... maybe we can have separate drivers meetings for the drivers and spotters for each race? This way everyone can talk and somewhat learn their classe's racing community a little better? I did see a bunch of cars broke and that is never good to see. I definately like the Lucas layout with cautions grouping everyone back up. People need to realize there is always at least 1 for sure caution plus the rolls or if someone brakes down there will be more cautions, which gives anyone a chance to work there way to the front in the race. It did take a while for us to learn that you cannot win the race on the first laps, it's about who crosses the checkers first on the last lap...

Dirty

Feb 27, 2009
Murrieta CA
Looking for full results from Round 2 of the Lucas Oil Regional Off Road Series presented by Kartek:
Click here- http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/999426

Doug, Bruce and everyone reading this. We are always taking step to make the series better. Both of you have been with me since day one and can see we have a solid crew, plus a great group of racers. I feel we are in a good place now with UTV racing and look to make it better for all. Thanks for the input and support you always give! Kj

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000