Official UTVUnderground 2016 Parker 250 Update Thread

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
How long will it take UTVRA to start to simplify the rules for the turbos. Resrictor plate for the turbo motor and you can do what ever you want to the motor done plan and simple. If you think it can't be done go to the largest off road racing in the world and see how they do it. DAKAR runs a restrictor plate in n/a and turbo motor. You cant put a limit on electronics, there is always someone that can out smart it. But you can make them breath through the same straw. That sucks the S3 guys had to change ECU at race, but why do you need a lab top to install it just saying. Hell I can take my Polaris ecu and plug into jo blows and it still doesn't need lab top.

Reactions: JoeyD23

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
How long will it take UTVRA to start to simplify the rules for the turbos. Resrictor plate for the turbo motor and you can do what ever you want to the motor done plan and simple. If you think it can't be done go to the largest off road racing in the world and see how they do it. DAKAR runs a restrictor plate in n/a and turbo motor. You cant put a limit on electronics, there is always someone that can out smart it. But you can make them breath through the same straw. That sucks the S3 guys had to change ECU at race, but why do you need a lab top to install it just saying. Hell I can take my Polaris ecu and plug into jo blows and it still doesn't need lab top.
I think the ECUs on the Can Ams are coded to the car. The laptop I believe is for the BUDS system Can Am uses.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I think the ECUs on the Can Ams are coded to the car. The laptop I believe is for the BUDS system Can Am uses.
I know how they work. But technically the ecu is not stock from manufacture then if you have to break into it, to read buds to ecu right. If you have system to read buds you can change ecu from stock to whatever. Ask anybody that's used or has it, doesn't matter what ecu is in it at the time.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
The ecu and the instrument cluster are coded together with the key. It's their way of protecting everything. You can't use an ecu in anything else. Untill the BUDS system codes them together. The key and cluster to the ecu.

And while we are on the topic of how and why they had the computer swapped. Apparently their were rumors they were cheating. With a reflashed ecu. So Cory decided to install a brand new 100% stock ecu just to keep the folks at bay from thinking S3 was cheating. The can am turbos will run 80-81mph with stock tires. You throw the 30s on it and that goes to 85mph. Stock rpm. Stock gearing. They'll run that fast. You can't hold it there all day. But it WILL run that fast. That's not cheating. The Rzr turbo will do the same. Tricks with the clutch gets it to around 81-82 as well with 100% stock ecu.

And on the subject of how S3 did with the newly swapped ecu. It's not my fight but I would have called in on weatherman or any other channel I could have to start the complaints if it were me. Cause that ecu went into limp mode during the race. They had to stop and shut it off and restart it to get it out of limp mode. Being in limp mode and on the rev limiter also caused them to blow a belt. Something they have not done all year last year. Rev limiter = sudden death to the belt. You gotta realize the pace they were running because the limp mode issues. Causing them to blow a belt. Breaking an axle from running so hard. And having a flat tire as well. They lost tons of time because of that ecu and it going into limp mode. So before you guys think they have a cheater motor or cheater reflash ecu you may wanna add all those things up. They lost TONS of time out in the field and still came out on top of the box. 2+2= those guys are f'ing fast.

They did win the race. But if that ecu after going in and out of limp mode, had crashed and caused them a different position in the finish, effecting points, or giving them a DNF. Would have been a huge clusterfuck and if it was my team I woulda been wanting to burn Cory's camper to the ground. I watched him stop all the turbo Polaris teams in the parking lot. Wouldn't let them load up before he took the ecu. I helped push numerous cars on the trailers out there. To me that was gay as a limp noodle during a lap dance. He coulda at least let them load on the trailer first. That's just a crappy way to try to police this class. What if one of those Polaris teams end up with an ecu issue next race. Their car won't run. Won't start. Having codes and limp home issues. What's Cory gonna do? Grant them finishing points? Refund their entry fee? What's gonna happen WHEN it happens again and negatively effects a race for someone. Like I said last year. I think the class should have been limited by (1) stock turbo only (2) stock injectors (3) stock intake system this would have severely put a dampner on the power. The stock injectors won't run much more boost before they overheat and fail. You are limited by the injector as to how much fuel you can get into the engine. And how efficient the stock turbo is. A team can crank 16psi out of a stock turbo on the can am and Polaris and make them stupid fast!!!!! But 10 mins at wide open throttle will melt both of their injectors. The stock injectors run fine for cross country. And short bursts and playing in the dunes or woods. But they won't last at full throttle desert racing. I've watched it being tested and I can assure you almost any boost higher then stock maxed the injectors out and they won't last long.

Last edited:

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
Talking about lap times, look at the number 8 guy. He rolled it in the first turn put it back on it's wheels, broke the front right axle (in the rollover), and had the steering wheel nut come loose, (loosing steering at 68mph) on the road after pit two, and still turned a 1:33 lap. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: shane88 and BiggJim

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Track conditions allowed many people to be fast. The fast teams are fast in dust...

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
The ecu and the instrument cluster are coded together with the key. It's their way of protecting everything. You can't use an ecu in anything else. Untill the BUDS system codes them together. The key and cluster to the ecu.

And while we are on the topic of how and why they had the computer swapped. Apparently their were rumors they were cheating. With a reflashed ecu. So Cory decided to install a brand new 100% stock ecu just to keep the folks at bay from thinking S3 was cheating. The can am turbos will run 80-81mph with stock tires. You throw the 30s on it and that goes to 85mph. Stock rpm. Stock gearing. They'll run that fast. You can't hold it there all day. But it WILL run that fast. That's not cheating. The Rzr turbo will do the same. Tricks with the clutch gets it to around 81-82 as well with 100% stock ecu.

And on the subject of how S3 did with the newly swapped ecu. It's not my fight but I would have called in on weatherman or any other channel I could have to start the complaints if it were me. Cause that ecu went into limp mode during the race. They had to stop and shut it off and restart it to get it out of limp mode. Being in limp mode and on the rev limiter also caused them to blow a belt. Something they have not done all year last year. Rev limiter = sudden death to the belt. You gotta realize the pace they were running because the limp mode issues. Causing them to blow a belt. Breaking an axle from running so hard. And having a flat tire as well. They lost tons of time because of that ecu and it going into limp mode. So before you guys think they have a cheater motor or cheater reflash ecu you may wanna add all those things up. They lost TONS of time out in the field and still came out on top of the box. 2+2= those guys are f'ing fast.

They did win the race. But if that ecu after going in and out of limp mode, had crashed and caused them a different position in the finish, effecting points, or giving them a DNF. Would have been a huge clusterfuck and if it was my team I woulda been wanting to burn Cory's camper to the ground. I watched him stop all the turbo Polaris teams in the parking lot. Wouldn't let them load up before he took the ecu. I helped push numerous cars on the trailers out there. To me that was gay as a limp noodle during a lap dance. He coulda at least let them load on the trailer first. That's just a crappy way to try to police this class. What if one of those Polaris teams end up with an ecu issue next race. Their car won't run. Won't start. Having codes and limp home issues. What's Cory gonna do? Grant them finishing points? Refund their entry fee? What's gonna happen WHEN it happens again and negatively effects a race for someone. Like I said last year. I think the class should have been limited by (1) stock turbo only (2) stock injectors (3) stock intake system this would have severely put a dampner on the power. The stock injectors won't run much more boost before they overheat and fail. You are limited by the injector as to how much fuel you can get into the engine. And how efficient the stock turbo is. A team can crank 16psi out of a stock turbo on the can am and Polaris and make them stupid fast!!!!! But 10 mins at wide open throttle will melt both of their injectors. The stock injectors run fine for cross country. And short bursts and playing in the dunes or woods. But they won't last at full throttle desert racing. I've watched it being tested and I can assure you almost any boost higher then stock maxed the injectors out and they won't last long.
I wouldn't be happy about playing "pick up sticks" with an ECU. It definitely makes you wonder if it was a bad ECU or if they had something else going on....guess no one will ever really know. Dustin mentioned they had an ecu issue but i wasn't aware Cory asked them change it till after I seen it here. S3's car is fast....visibly faster than his Cahammed team mates....but there is more to being fast than horsepower.....

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA

I would be pissed too if the newly installed ECU was causing problems and possibly the race. I would let the turbos crack the ECU, but like you said stock turbo and injectors. That will limit them as will the belt.

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
I know how they work. But technically the ecu is not stock from manufacture then if you have to break into it, to read buds to ecu right. If you have system to read buds you can change ecu from stock to whatever. Ask anybody that's used or has it, doesn't matter what ecu is in it at the time.
You cant change any parameters in the ecm with buds, only the parameters in the cluster, which stores codes, vin, tires size and power steering settings.... nothing performance related can be touched with buds. You have to use buds to marry the cluster to ecm.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
They said when they got home they were gonna plug it up and see what the code/codes were. But they had shake down runs and had plenty of testing miles on it that would/should have showed anything. They said it wasn't overheating. Just popped into limp mode. It wasn't a pre-existing gremlin they have had before. When I talked to shane the first thing he said to me was "something's wrong with this ecu it's putting us in limp mode and caused us to blow a belt from hitting the limiter"

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
Don't see how the ecu could be to blame here, but when they hookup to it with BUDS it should have stored the fault. I think if something was incorrect in the mapping it would have shown it immediately. Just my $0.02

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
Unfortunately there is a possibility that the ecm could have caused the issue, some(very few) 2015 121hp ecms have this issue which I cant disclose. I have a feeling its the ecm considering we had over a 100 test miles before this race with zero issues and 13 miles after we changed ecm's it went into limp mode, Looking at the thrown codes in buds will let us know for sure.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Unfortunately there is a possibility that the ecm could have caused the issue, some(very few) 2015 121hp ecms have this issue which I cant disclose. I have a feeling its the ecm considering we had over a 100 test miles before this race with zero issues and 13 miles after we changed ecm's it went into limp mode, Looking at the thrown codes in buds will let us know for sure.
I hate to say it and be the bearer of bad news, but in racing in general, a LOT can change in 13 miles.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I know man, that's why we are gonna look at the data be sure!
Shane it was nice putting a name to a face....Good job on the 1st in turbo class...especially after having problems. Its hard out there to get a win having issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000