Possibly Lookig For partner/driver in Pro Class UTV race car

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
So I am the owner of one gear racing, I am almost finished with a build of a 2012 rzr xp4 built to BITD spec and have many sponsors backing the team. I am possibly looking to find someone local in the southern Cali area that is wanting to race and wanting to be apart of the team.. I am throwing around the idea of having another driver for the car and seeing if it would make sense to have someone basically buy a spot in the car and then race costs would be split... This is a grassroots team but we are trying to take it very serious yet still have lots of fun. I am thinking that ther would be an initial cost to buy into the seat and then split half the costs of races... I have not worked out all the details but just putting it out there to see if anyone would have interest in this... Attached is the Facebook page for the team and some photos of the car.. The team is ran out of Beaumont in southern Cali. We will be testing hopefully by the end of march with first race in april..

Thanks
Kevin Shrive
One Gear Racing
[email protected]
714-872-0544

Follow us on Facebook at:
Www.faceboom.com/onegearracing

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
dude small world, arent you on tundra forums lol

sounds like a good concept, if i had the ability it would make more sense for me to do it but my schedule sucks :{

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Ya I was awhile back... Ya I have out almost 40k into the team so far so the big money is spent so it might make it more realistic for someone that normally wouldn't be able to do it... Racing shouldn't just be for the rich hahaha

yield2me

May 17, 2011
Its a good concept, but you are going to be hard pressed to find someone with that kind of $$$ to throw down on a car they dont own. Your best bet is to sell the right seat for different races/series.

Also, advertise on all the desert racing and UTV forums, and dont forget about the book of Faces.

May help to list what they will get for a certain dollar amounts....

Good luck this year, your car looks great!

Rob

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Ya it's not a perfect concept but to be able to drive a car and be a part of team especially driving its not the cheapest thing and the problem with someone that doesn't have a responsibility to the team or car they tend to not drive it like it matters what happens... Most people think well I don't have to pay for it if I fudge it up and plus I'm looking for someone to be part of a team not just a random person every race....

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
The buy in cost would only be around 3k basically just a financial responsibility to the car which is like 1/12 of the price of the car...

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
The buy in to the car would be the driver seat for every race, most races would be split driven... Off road racing isn't one of those what's in it for sports it's about the work leading up to the race, the family and friends expierence, the fun and most important the race itself... This isn't for everyone and I don't expect someone to actually do this but I am from a low budget and grassroots start so I wanted to give someone that most likely couldn't afford to do this on their own to take part in real off road racing...

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here is my opinion and I have been racing for a long time. Do not offer or do some sort of buy in to the car. It never works out in the long run. Look for a partner that can help cover part of the race expenses, Knows how to prep and can commit to prepping the car, bring knowledgeable crew members, has a pre-runner they can bring to the team, owns pit equipment ect...

My race team is owned by me and a good friend. To insure our friendship is never ruined by racing we made it where he owns the race car, I own the pre-runner and we both own the spares or pit equipment. All sponsor money/product, contingency and prize money goes directly back into the team, not someones pocket. Now lets say I want out of the team. I do have possession of the pre-runner and some of the equipment/spares purchased together. But the cars are still left intact. He can still race the car and I can still drive a pre-runner. Nothing is being parted out.

If I was part owner of the race car and wanted out. My partner would either have to buy me out or part the car out, as I would want my parts back. At that point no one wins. He has a set of shocks, seats, motor ect... You have a chassis, trans ect... Most all partnerships have a beginning and a end. The biggest problem is most of the time both dont agree when is the end, and who gets what.

Also make part of you partnership agreement known that any broken parts or damage are split 50/50. I know this might sounds strange, but it works. You cant blame a guy if the motor blows. That stuff happens and it could have been anyone driving. Heck it could have been damaged when you were driving and it finally let go when he was driving. Flat tires and bent wheels are part of the sport. Get over the small broken parts and just figure it is going to cost both parties. Now if the guy is constantly wreaking or wadding the car up, then maybe you need to consider your driver/partner line up and cut the guy loose. Thus why 1 guy should own the car.

Her is an example I had. I rolled our 5/1600 at the 500. Even though we are partners and split the cost, I stepped up and paid for the fab to put a new roof on the car. But we both took time to go out and find / buy a new roof. We split the cost of paint and so on. But the actual fab I paid as I did the damage. Our relationship is strong enough to know when to own up to your mistake and when we know it is a teams deal and as a team we fix it together. Another example is we had shock issues on the prerunner. We were able to take one of our spare shocks and rebuilt / revalve it and put it on the pre-runner. As a team we cover the expenses on both vehicles as both are a vital part of the team.

But like I said I have been doing this for a long time and have learned this seems to be the best situation for most.

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for the reply bro that is exactly what I am looking for... I would exchange the buy in few for someone who had another car to prerun courses, bring equipment and people to support... I currently own everything needed to race but I only have minimal stuff so if I could build a relationship that u describe that would be key.. I just don't want to sell a spot in the car and like u said he wods the car up and gets to just say sorry it would be a 50/50 partnership like u explained and what he brings t the team he own and what I bring i own... As for future cost if we build a motor or something those thigs would be figured out at that time but the way I see it it is my car and team and I am willing to put the money into it but whoever wants to race and be part of the team would have that same relationship that u described... Racing is fun and an expierence of a life to like no other...

Thanks again for examining it better I would basically want the same thing you guys have...

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
I feel like I just have u a man huge.... Ok people nothing to see here walk away hahaha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000