All UTV's questions for Rugged about listening to race chatter

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
so i watch desert races and short course races and always wanted to hear what is going on between pits and racers. what is the cheapest way to do that?

Vertex HX370? will this radio scan a few different fequencies? can a larger antenna be installed on it? or should i take my 50watt radio out of my RZR and use that with a temp mount for my truck, but then it would not be portable if i wanted to use it in the Rhino or the stands at a shortcourse race.

i do not have the $$$ to buy a radio for each vehicle and would like the option to add headsets and intercom to a handheld and use it in the Rhino to talk between my RZR and wife in the Rhino.

so am i trying to have my cake and eat it too or is it possible?

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
you really need a separate scanning radio to listen to most racers, otherwise you would need to know thier freqs in order to listen. not sure about others, but LOORRS does not give out their control freq, I had a heck of a time getting that put into my race radio.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
you really need a separate scanning radio to listen to most racers, otherwise you would need to know thier freqs in order to listen. not sure about others, but LOORRS does not give out their control freq, I had a heck of a time getting that put into my race radio.
so a scanner would be better to buy? got any info on what brands

well now you know the LOORRS channel and you should share the info.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Scanner would be best...most of the off-road freq are in the 150-174Mhz (pit Channels) and drivers channels are in the 430-450Mhz.

For ~$300 you can get the Yaesu FT-7900R, and listen to both ranges. Your gonna need the antenna's for each freq. but the advantage is you don't need special software and cable to select different freq. This radio restricts transmit ranges NOT receive ranges, so you get full range.

I have a two HX370, they work great for 159-174Mhz (and I have the program software/cable)...I also use a Yaesu FT-2900R to chase in Mexico. I'll have both up at PITP so if you want to check them out.

Ham Radio Outlet up off Peoria/51st Ave? is a great help in putting together packages (radio and correct antenna's)

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Scanner would be best...most of the off-road freq are in the 150-174Mhz (pit Channels) and drivers channels are in the 430-450Mhz.

For ~$300 you can get the Yaesu FT-7900R, and listen to both ranges. Your gonna need the antenna's for each freq. but the advantage is you don't need special software and cable to select different freq. This radio restricts transmit ranges NOT receive ranges, so you get full range.

I have a two HX370, they work great for 159-174Mhz (and I have the program software/cable)...I also use a Yaesu FT-2900R to chase in Mexico. I'll have both up at PITP so if you want to check them out.

Ham Radio Outlet up off Peoria/51st Ave? is a great help in putting together packages (radio and correct antenna's)
great, i was hoping to use it for the PITP. i will be in touch. thanks Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000