Can-Am SGM Commander Build

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Alright so I am starting a thread on my commander I bought 1 year ago. I had another thread where I had chopped the stock cage and added a rear seat for my kid in a limited time so I could get out for the riding season. I love the car but it has way more power than suspension which I kind of knew I was getting into. I like to fab for a hobby so I wanted to build my own LT kit for the car and I also wanted to lengthen the wheelbase of it. I tore the car down a month ago and started chopping it up. Did a little designing in CAD for the rear frame and then built it. I am lengthening the car 8" and going to go 5" wider per side. I have a few teaser pics for you guys to see and I will try and keep it updated when I get more work done. I am working on it after work and on the weekends. I am gonna try and get it together to go out for New Years and destroy the desert! Enjoy.

Old Cage
[/IMG]

Tear Down
[/IMG]

New Frame
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
I am doing all the suspension too. Gonna run some large king shocks with my set up. I have gotten some of the cage work going and will shoot some pics of it tomorrow.

Last edited:

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Here is where it sits after a day of layout, bending, and tacking. Should get the pillar bars in this following weekend and then try and button up the cage the weekend before Thanksgiving. I am also TIG welding all the work I am doing to it.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Yeah I really like the class 1 look of the rear. Sorry it looks really close I should have probably added another bend on the bottom skid so it didn't.

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Thanks. I just modified front cage mounts so I can weld the tube directly to chassis. Have some parts in transit for suspension and motor. Things are coming along pretty good. I was shooting to have it done for Thanksgiving but had a mishap and tore a ligament in my ankle so I was on crutches for a few weeks and now in a walking boot. Have to control tig welder with other foot which I can do but I favor my right foot is possible. So now we shoot for New years in Glamis possibly.

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Here is a little teaser pic I took from this last weekend as I worked on it. Just got to finish welding cage and add some gussets to the cage. Then start reassembling the plastics back on and work on the suspension and sheet metal work.

[/IMG]

Reactions: 1 person

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Shawn that looks like a fun project. Can't wait to see more pictures as it comes along. I am not to far from you, would love to see it in person some day. And for sure hit the trails with you down the line.

Bryan :cool:

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
Shawn that looks like a fun project. Can't wait to see more pictures as it comes along. I am not to far from you, would love to see it in person some day. And for sure hit the trails with you down the line.

Bryan :cool:
Thanks. Fabbing is a hobby to me and I love it. I will try and get more pics up soon. The cage is getting welded up tomorrow and plastics will start going back on. Just got my christmas present today which was some used shocks for the rig. 2.5" King coilover internal bypass with adjusters. Got a smoking deal on them. Bryan feel free to come by and check it out anytime. I am there on the weekends pretty much all day and some evenings during the week. My brother and dad are there all week and will show you around the shop. I will send you a pm with info. And when I get it done we will ride together for sure.
BTW Bryan car looks great, Magnum does great work for sure!

[/IMG]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000