tips for my first desert race??

Biohazard58

Apr 28, 2011
chapmanville WV
well ill be headed out to race my first desert race at the BITD vegas to reno race. my sponsor "Towerworks Fab" has invited me to come out n be a driver for them and i jumped at it cuz I've wanted to do this for a long time ut never had the chance. I've raced gncc/rally raid for 5 years and am considered a pro "since there is no PRO CLASS" but this will be my first desert race I'm used to endurance racing but not desert. so any tips for me or anything i should know?
thanks
justin

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
Do your best to keep the car together. It's a long endurance race. Not a sprint. And like noceros said watch for rocks! Have spare parts and tires, then enjoy the scenic nv desert. Good luck!

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...start a couple days before the race.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
Well, you will be so excited that you will forget everything you read here. BUT......

No matter how many times you go, you will need to pee when you latch your seatbelt.

No matter how many times you tell yourself to drive slow and keep it together, you will blow a corner, hit a drop off, or accidentally bump too hard

No matter how many times you go over it, you will still take unnecessary risks trying to pass slower cars. Often the pass is what takes you out of a race. Many of my flats etc happen off the course overtaking slower cars. Passing does not do much good if you get a flat in the process

No matter how many times you go over the car, something will not work. The radio will quit. Your intercom plug will not get pushed in all the way. One of the brake fittings that has never leaked will miraculously get loose 10 min after you get in and you will loose brakes. You will loose power steering. A CV boot clamp will dissappear, your gauges will not function properly, etc

No matter how many times you tell your do dawg to watch the GPS..... you will find yourself at the dunes instead of on the course. (happened to me at the SS300, rookie co-dawg) etc

There is only ONE thing that is guaranteed to happen. You will have so much fun that you will not be able to stop thinking of how much fun it was till the next race when you buckle the seatbelt. And from there, it all starts over................

Prepare to be infected with a virus to which there is no vaccine..... the BITD virus!!

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
If you get stuck behind someone don't stop trying to find your own lines drive your race. Don't trust the person you are following. The closer you can get to them the more you will be able to see what's in front of them and eventually they will let you go. Listen to your co dawg and you can't trust the gps 100%.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Do your best to keep the car together. It's a long endurance race. Not a sprint. And like noceros said watch for rocks! Have spare parts and tires, then enjoy the scenic nv desert. Good luck!
Enjoy what you can see through the dust!!!!:eek:

I would add that you make sure you have a Parker pumper, or some VERY good breathing filtration. That's a long race and you could gain about 6 lbs from all of the dust you'll swallow!!!:eek:

Also have some way to stay hydrated. You don't realize how much water you lose and how quickly it robs you of strength and endurance.

Have a blast, I'm jealous. My boy and I have wanted to do something like this for a long time. I know we'd kick ass, but in this economy, you gotta have help to do these kind of things.

See you on the podium!!!

Dan ...

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I'll agree with what Bobby said, keeping it together is the most important...
Even if you are winning, the race may not be won..this happened during a race while leading, got a little throttle happy over some roller hills and slammed into one hard enough to break a rim (rocky outcroppings are hard on wheels), rip apart the suspension mounts and tweak the frame... the front oem mounts were too weak and we knew they needed beefed, but now we can..

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Well, you will be so excited that you will forget everything you read here. BUT......

No matter how many times you go, you will need to pee when you latch your seatbelt.

No matter how many times you tell yourself to drive slow and keep it together, you will blow a corner, hit a drop off, or accidentally bump too hard

No matter how many times you go over it, you will still take unnecessary risks trying to pass slower cars. Often the pass is what takes you out of a race. Many of my flats etc happen off the course overtaking slower cars. Passing does not do much good if you get a flat in the process

No matter how many times you go over the car, something will not work. The radio will quit. Your intercom plug will not get pushed in all the way. One of the brake fittings that has never leaked will miraculously get loose 10 min after you get in and you will loose brakes. You will loose power steering. A CV boot clamp will dissappear, your gauges will not function properly, etc

No matter how many times you tell your do dawg to watch the GPS..... you will find yourself at the dunes instead of on the course. (happened to me at the SS300, rookie co-dawg) etc

There is only ONE thing that is guaranteed to happen. You will have so much fun that you will not be able to stop thinking of how much fun it was till the next race when you buckle the seatbelt. And from there, it all starts over................

Prepare to be infected with a virus to which there is no vaccine..... the BITD virus!!
AMEN! The first time I raced I said " I'm just doing this one race" that was 4 years ago and many races since. I can't make V2R but will see you all in Parker!!! Welcome to desert racing!

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Practice sitting in your car in your driving suit and peeing through your Cathiter. You must know in your mind that you are not peeing all over yourself or it will mess you up big time!

seriously , all good advice here but most important try to drive with your brain and not your ego. and especially in this race you need to understand that you will be caught by the fastest and biggest trucks in the desert so pay close attention to what is going on behind you. Have fun.

That first beer in Reno tastes especially good for some reason.

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Practice sitting in your car in your driving suit and peeing through your Cathiter. You must know in your mind that you are not peeing all over yourself or it will mess you up big time!

seriously , all good advice here but most important try to drive with your brain and not your ego. and especially in this race you need to understand that you will be caught by the fastest and biggest trucks in the desert so pay close attention to what is going on behind you. Have fun.

I love when you guys post... hahahhaha

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona

HAHA...so true,the first time you use one you will think you are peeing your pants.

noceros

Jan 22, 2011
Folsom Ca.
watch out if you feel back presure (better stop peeing & find the kink). if you hear a pop - too late you just peed your pants. (the mint 2012)

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
whois driving? Phillip Martin?
I didnt see him in the draw?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000