torc racing series utv's?

Biohazard58

Apr 28, 2011
chapmanville WV
anyone know if there is a utv class in the torc series? Traxxas TORC - The Off Road Championship ??? ive been wanting to get into short course racing. i race gncc now and have allways wanted to do short course but all the races are on the west coast and i noticed this series is east coast anyone know anything or if there is mabie plains for a utv class? sr1 or something? or of any other east coast short course series?

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
No, there aren't any UTV classes currently in the TORC Series. I know they have expressed some interest in the past in the SR1 class, but since they never made it out here for any rounds we never pursued it. If there are any racers in the midwest or close to the TORC tracks, by all means.....try to contact USAC and see if they will give you guys a shot?

mc93yj

Mar 29, 2010
hobart indiana
well I gave it a try this is response I got hopefully a sponser will step up next year and we can get some short course racing in the midwest/east coast.

Hi Jeremy and thanks for the email.
We are a sponsor-driven Series. We've looked at UTV classes before but until a sponsor signs on in support, we have a full race schedule of trucks and buggies.
Thanks again,
Tiffany Landru
Race Operations
TORC Series
11232 County Road M
Crandon|WI 54520

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I wonder if DragonFire would be interested? Might be a good way to get some exposure in the MidWest for them?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I agree Corry. DFR and Mag have some money, it would be nice to see someone like them jump in and get the TORC series off the ground. I fear what may happen at LOORRS next year, I am sure they will keep SR1 on board (WE HOPE) but I doubt there will be an Unlimited UTV class for obvious reasons. We need to save short course UTV racing and the only way it will happen is to reduce the budget required to compete and restore the grass roots type feeling that WORCS and GNCC are still offering to this day.

Early this year Randy Anderson (Walker Evans Racing) and I were discussing TORC and he had the interest of the promoters to include UTV's. Heck we were supposed to see UTV's at the Texas race and possibly Crandon but then it sort of fizzled out. GNCC events pull anywhere from 40-60 UTV's at races. It would be awesome to see TORC adopt ISA or GNCC like class rules that would bring those car counts to a big stage such as TORC. Heck it would be great to see LOORRS do the same!!! I just don't know if the interest is there to do that? I think even if the power of the Unlimted UTV class was reduced by letting in a class that lends itself to more stock like cars such as what we see at WORCS that the thrill of the class would rise since we could potentially see car counts sky rocket. Then again it still isn't cheap to enter a LOORRS race as a competitor and team, not sure what TORC costs?

ughhhhhh lol I just want to see UTV's on the big stage still! I feel bad for VanBeekum, George, and Winbury being the only UTV's out there in the Unlimited class. So much time, money, and effort has been put into those machines. It would be a shame to see the class go. I hope something takes place to save the class. But yes, lets get some UTV's at TORC! I need more incentive to go to Crandon and Bark River!!!! hahahaha

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I agree Corry. DFR and Mag have some money, it would be nice to see someone like them jump in and get the TORC series off the ground. I fear what may happen at LOORRS next year, I am sure they will keep SR1 on board (WE HOPE) but I doubt there will be an Unlimited UTV class for obvious reasons. We need to save short course UTV racing and the only way it will happen is to reduce the budget required to compete and restore the grass roots type feeling that WORCS and GNCC are still offering to this day.

Early this year Randy Anderson (Walker Evans Racing) and I were discussing TORC and he had the interest of the promoters to include UTV's. Heck we were supposed to see UTV's at the Texas race and possibly Crandon but then it sort of fizzled out. GNCC events pull anywhere from 40-60 UTV's at races. It would be awesome to see TORC adopt ISA or GNCC like class rules that would bring those car counts to a big stage such as TORC. Heck it would be great to see LOORRS do the same!!! I just don't know if the interest is there to do that? I think even if the power of the Unlimted UTV class was reduced by letting in a class that lends itself to more stock like cars such as what we see at WORCS that the thrill of the class would rise since we could potentially see car counts sky rocket. Then again it still isn't cheap to enter a LOORRS race as a competitor and team, not sure what TORC costs?

ughhhhhh lol I just want to see UTV's on the big stage still! I feel bad for VanBeekum, George, and Winbury being the only UTV's out there in the Unlimited class. So much time, money, and effort has been put into those machines. It would be a shame to see the class go. I hope something takes place to save the class. But yes, lets get some UTV's at TORC! I need more incentive to go to Crandon and Bark River!!!! hahahaha

you forgot RJ. :eek:

IMO, DFR dropped the ball in the first LOORRS Season with UTV in not even being at the last event of the year (PRIMM) that determined the champion.

like you said, if they adopt some more basic, cost effective rules and entry fees, then UTV's prob will not be in short course. I am sure this may come down to insurance reasons maybe, but then again as you said GNCC, WORCS and the like have great turn outs for entries.

chaser0

Jul 10, 2011
I know that in Missouri there has been a group of racers traveling around to local utv dealers inquiring about support for a UTV series. They are wanting to build support for an "SR1 type" class along with mod, stock and junior classes to be run along with atvs. The dirt track oval racing is suffering, and with the number of ovals shut down they are wanting to use these facilities, converted to shortcourse to host the shows. I know one of those gentleman builds some imca type modifieds and sprints, and has jigged a rhino frame and almost completed the final chassis, says the full race utv frames will be in the $2800.00 range (DOM mig -welded). Many of the oval guys are showing much interest, when told he can build these at 60% cost of those out west (cheap labor I guess). He said he went from building 90 modifieds a year to 50-60 and welcomes a fresh class of racing. Hopefully we all here something sooner than later.

xoutlawheartx

Feb 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Keeping costs down in UTV racing is simple; forget building the stock engines & 4wd systems, and stick with a simple, 2wd, no reverse system, with a stock streetbike engine.

Ridiculously cheaper to start with.
Light years more reliable.
Engines/transmissions live MUCH longer.
MUCH cheaper to maintain.
MUCH cheaper to repair or replace engines/transmissions.
Anyone with basic wrenching skills can build & maintain one.

The above listed is the key to keeping racing going, and gaining new competitors. They're also:

Faster.
Make more power.
More versatile.

A 1000cc streetbike powered UTV can race short course (with lap times on par with 150k Pro-Lites), race desert, and can climb any hill at Glamis, even on short course tires. Where else can you race in a professional series, yet take the same car out for recreation use? It's practically unheard of.

One could write a healthy list showing the pros of using streetbike engines, and the cons of using a UTV engine. What I've listed is just the tip of the iceberg.

Gwinnraptor

Apr 17, 2012
Anymore updates on this?

I am in contact and trying to get a UTV class to be tested/considered in the TORC sportsman series, i dont know what else to do or what else to try. I have got a response saying "they have been looking into it, and are considering it".

I want to build a SR1 race rhino, but if there arent going to be any races in the midwest besides GNCC, its sorta a waste of money for me i guess. I have no idea what it would cost to build one from scratch either, but id imagine it would be cheaper to buy a used racer.....please correct me if i am wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000