Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
UTV-15 T TURBOCHARGERS:
Pro Production UTV class Factory turbochargers are allowed. Turbochargers
must not be modified, altered or changed. Turbochargers must remain exactly as
delivered from the factory. ECUs must be stock, no ECU flashing is allowed. ALL
Turbocharged UTV’s racing in the Pro Production class must race with a stock
ECU, that is issued to the racer at tech inspection. The racer is responsible for the
cost of the ECU. The ECU must be installed and sealed at tech inspection and then
removed at the end of the race. The ECU will be held by BITD between races. In
the event that the racer does not make it to the finish line, the ECU must not be
removed from the UTV. The racer must contact Cory S to have the ECU removed.
If the ECU is removed or the sealing tape is tampered with, the racer will be
required to pay for another ECU. If the racer quits racing BITD the ECU will be
returned to the racer. This rule is to ensure that all Turbocharged Pro Production
UTVs are racing with a stock ECU. Speed limiters are not required.
Turbochargers must be inspected and sealed prior to racing. Do not wait till
tech for this inspection. Contact Cory 602-769-6164

did anybody see this new rule

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Well that is one way to make sure there is no increase in boost. But how does one remove the speed limiter and still have a stock ECU? I can't image Can Am or Polaris having the turbo speed limiters set more than 78-80mph.

Reactions: Trentk

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
I think it would only be "fair" then if gauge cluster data could NOT be changed as well. If you can not alter anything electronically that should mean just that... B.U.D.S. has its advantages. Also, what is preventing a team from externally flashing an ECU at their first pit stop, and then flashing back to stock at the last? Who has the ability to tell when an ECU has had that done?

Nate
Alba Racing

Reactions: JoeyD23

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Well that is one way to make sure there is no increase in boost. But how does one remove the speed limiter and still have a stock ECU? I can't image Can Am or Polaris having the turbo speed limiters set more than 78-80mph.
That is exactly what i was thinking, don't you have to go into the ecu to remove the speed limiter?

Are any of these machines limited at the clutch like the 1st RZR 800's were? I would assume not but i know there are a lot more knowledgeable people on this board then me.

ALBANATE

Feb 13, 2012
Remember that Can-Am B.U.D.S. software allows you to alter tire diameter through the gauge cluster which can effect speed limits... sounds like these rules were written by Can-Am!!!!

Nate
Alba Racing

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Since the Tech Director is also a class 1900 racer (Conflict!) What happens at this next race V2R when a turbo car brakes and is out of the race at mile 200. Does he then need to trailer his broke down car all the way to Reno instead of loading up and heading home? Then after the Tech Director gets done with his race or when his crew gets to Reno, you can then have your ECU removed by them, only to have to turn around and drive home from Reno. Sounds like a well thought out awesome plan!

Like Nate said it sounds like these rules were written by Can Am. Or maybe someone associated with Can Am. Who could that be???

What A Joke! If you 1900 guys don't get off your asses and demand a better set of rules with a better non conflicting tech director, then you get what you ask for!

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
They should just restrict the turbo to stock turbo, stock fuel pressure and stock injectors. Reflashing the ecu is cheap so any team could do it but you can only do so much without more fuel from the injectors and small turbo.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
They should just restrict the turbo to stock turbo, stock fuel pressure and stock injectors. Reflashing the ecu is cheap so any team could do it but you can only do so much without more fuel from the injectors and small turbo.
The way i read the rule as posted above, i think they are already restricting it to the stock turbo, i believe they are trying to enforce the rule of the stock turbo and stock ecu tune as it was delivered from the factory.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
This can and will be an option to make your current car able to race against the newer factory turbo cars . This was updated this morning

UTV-15 ENGINE LOCATION AND DISPLACEMENT:For all UTV classes the Maximum engine displacement is 1000cc. Pro Production class UTVs must use stock engine cases and cylinder head. Note, the engine update rule will start to be effective January 1 2016. Engine updates are allowed, as long as the frame and suspension mounting points match the updated engine. This engine update rule is effective January 1 2016.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
To be honest the whole issue is a poorly thought out clusterfuck of freakin brilliance! Lol Personally, I don't care.....if you can tow your car 70 miles and rent/borrow ecu boost or not to boost your new turbo then it's all become not that important to me. Pretty funny when you stand back and turn down the serious knob. to

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Lol love it!

Anyways to be honest I think the Xp1000 will still be filling the podiums..... Who says we won't find issues in the new turbo cars? Also we are still smoking the Can Am turbos right now with NA cars.

Reactions: george.felix

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Another huge mistake! I'm for the engine swap and like that it does not take effect until next year, but i also think the Polaris Turbo should not be allowed to race until 2016. Rules should not be changed mid season unless safety related. I'm a supporter of the UTV class, and have taken hits on RDC supporting you guys, but this is just one more Tech/Rules issue that makes this class look like a joke.

Still don't think anyone gets the ECU issue about having to buy and use a BITD assigned ECU and then you have to return it to BITD after the race or you will have to buy another one. I guess all DNF racers will have to drive to Reno to turn in their ECU

Last edited:
Reactions: george.felix

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Lol love it!

Anyways to be honest I think the Xp1000 will still be filling the podiums..... Who says we won't find issues in the new turbo cars? Also we are still smoking the Can Am turbos right now with NA cars.
I'd have to agree with you there.... The bigger they are the harder they fall! The ecu logistics is enough reason not to have a turbo car.......

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
This morning I met with the tech inspector and got my car "pre" inspected before I started my build. We don't have to buy a new ECU or supply an extra ECU. My ECU has been taped shut with tamper proof tape that has been signed and dated. My turbo and injectors also have a tamper seal on them now. The 2 long bolts that have an 8mm head that bolt down the head on the passenger side have been removed, drilled, and now have a safety wire through them that won't allow the head to be removed. At this point I am within the rules to proceed with my build for BITD

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
These rules seem like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to what is going on with the turbo cars and the UTV Industry that is ever evolving.

I guess we will see how it all plays out in the coming months and remaining races

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Reflashing the ECU is cheap and should be alowed. The cost is low, the benifit is pretty restricted without modifying the fuel delivery and turbo. Regulating fuel pressure and injectors seems like the way to go to me. There are other racing organizations that use this method.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
This morning I met with the tech inspector and got my car "pre" inspected before I started my build. We don't have to buy a new ECU or supply an extra ECU. My ECU has been taped shut with tamper proof tape that has been signed and dated. My turbo and injectors also have a tamper seal on them now. The 2 long bolts that have an 8mm head that bolt down the head on the passenger side have been removed, drilled, and now have a safety wire through them that won't allow the head to be removed. At this point I am within the rules to proceed with my build for BITD
Brandon I have a question how did utvra check to see if you ecu was stock? Could someone say its stock have it sealed but had it reflashed before they brought to utvra just asking how does he know its actually stock. Next question does utvra take your ecu at end of race to hand out to other team to show its stock or do you keep your ecu with car since its yours? Not picking on you just seeing how process is done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000