All UTV's What's the best WORKING UTV?

Jackalope

Oct 13, 2011
I see all sorts of arguments here about the best, fastest, mud-buggy and rock climber, but hardly a single word about the one's bought for hunting or working.

I'm looking for a SxS with a large bed, 4WD and preferably some sort of "turf-mode" that can unlock the differential rather than tear up the grass.

I'll be using the bed to haul lumber, concrete and building supplies. I'll be hauling topsoil, fertilizer and manure.

I'll be going into to woods where speed isn't all that important, but the ability to climb slick and muddy hills will be. I need to be able to ford streams and maneuver in thick woods.

But most of all, I need something that won't break down and leave me stranded.

I won't be jumping it. I won't be going 50 mph over rocks. I won't be racing it. I'll be using it to work. But occasionally, I might drive it "briskly" on a trail. I want something with a bit more spirit than a Gator or a Mule.

I like the Yamaha Rhino, but the bed is small and you can't unlock the differential.

I like the Polaris Ranger, but I keep hearing about terrible heating problems in the new ones.

I like the Artic Cat Prowler, but I keep hearing that they break down.

Who can tell me about how good these (or others) are for work?

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
THE HONDA HAS GOOD REVIEWS. BIG BED & TOWING POWER. PLUS HONDA'S REPUTATION FOR RELIABILITY.I BELIEVE IT HAS DOORS & SAFETY NETS.
JOHN DEERE WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR HAULING, HUNTING & TOWING. THEY BOTH COME IN CAMO VERSIONS.
I HAD NOT HEARD THAT THE RANGERS HAD A COOLING PROBLEM. THE THING I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THE RANGER I DROVE WAS THAT IT FREEWHEELS DOWNHILL, NO ENGINE BRAKING.
THE KAWASAKI MULE HAS BEEN AROUND THE LONGEST & HAS A GOOD SIZED BED. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM.
I THINK I WOULD CHOOSE THE JOHN DEERE BECAUSE OF THEIR HISTORY WITH FARM EQUIPMENT. LIKE JOEY SAYS HE USES THE JOHN DEERE AROUND HIS PROPERTY ALL OF THE TIME.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
John Deere XUV 825i all the way for work. The Polaris Ranger claims to tow and haul as much or more, but every time I've seen one loaded to capacity, the driver is looking at the sky.

And the Arctic Cats don't break anymore than the Polaris or other brands. But they aren't as work oriented. The AC 700 HDX does a good job though.

John Deere all the way for work, work, work and some hunting.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
No heat issue and your not hunting directly from it, that isn't legal! Good fuel economy and plenty of bottom end! If you get stuck you can use moonshine to get home!
you seem to be stuck in one state all the time, you can hunt from vehicles in some states, even more if your handicapped.

Jackalope

Oct 13, 2011
On the "Snow and Mud" Forum, they speak as though there is a serious heathing problem with SOME of the new redesign 700 models. Apparently, this isn't the case with the smaller models or the Rangers before the redesign.

From what I understand, some of the new Rangers throw out just a blast furnace on your feet...to the point that some people on the "Snow and Mud" forum say they simply cannot keep their feet in the vehicle to drive...and the Polaris dealers won't fix the problem. There were at least three owners who seemed to have that problem.

Thought about the Gator and the Mule, but while I am indeed looking primarily for work, I'd like to have a LITTLE fun every once in awhile. But I'm not looking to race, just enough zip to have a good time.

Reactions: Rick O Shay

DUNE DUMMY 29

Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
On the "Snow and Mud" Forum, they speak as though there is a serious heathing problem with SOME of the new redesign 700 models. Apparently, this isn't the case with the smaller models or the Rangers before the redesign.

From what I understand, some of the new Rangers throw out just a blast furnace on your feet...to the point that some people on the "Snow and Mud" forum say they simply cannot keep their feet in the vehicle to drive...and the Polaris dealers won't fix the problem. There were at least three owners who seemed to have that problem.

Thought about the Gator and the Mule, but while I am indeed looking primarily for work, I'd like to have a LITTLE fun every once in awhile. But I'm not looking to race, just enough zip to have a good time.
THE RANGER 800 XP HAS A LOT OF POWER.
THE JOHN DEERE 825 I IS DIFFERENT FROM THE GATOR.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
THE RANGER 800 XP HAS A LOT OF POWER.
THE JOHN DEERE 825 I IS DIFFERENT FROM THE GATOR.
The 825i is a Gator. But the breakouts are
TS - 2 wheel drive, no rear suspension, basic flat ground utility
TX - 2 wheel drive, leaf spring rear suspension, 401cc engine
TH - also known as a 6X4, 4 rear wheels drive, no rear suspension
TH Diesel - Diesel version of TH

XUV 620 - 4 wheel drive, limited off road use
XUV 825i - Hi performance, utility cross-over, off road
XUV 855d - Diesel version of 825i.

New models
XUV 550 - 4 wheel drive, off-road 570cc engine, mid size chassis

XUV 550/4 - 4 Seat version of XUV 550

To be released soon:
RSX 850i - Hi performance, sport 4X4 SXS

They are all Gators though.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US..._utility_vehicles/gator_utility_vehicles.page?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Oct 13, 2011
Well now that is interesting.

Wonder how much the 825i weighs? From my research, it seems that the "working" ones weigh around 1450 lbs. while the "fun" ones weigh around 1100 lbs.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Well now that is interesting.

Wonder how much the 825i weighs? From my research, it seems that the "working" ones weigh around 1450 lbs. while the "fun" ones weigh around 1100 lbs.
1640lbs with fuel and all fluids. So it's a little heavier than the others, but it has a 50hp 3 cylinder that has gobs of torque. Top speed is 44mph, so it's geared low, for work.

DUNE DUMMY 29

Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
The 825i is a Gator. But the breakouts are
TS - 2 wheel drive, no rear suspension, basic flat ground utility
TX - 2 wheel drive, leaf spring rear suspension, 401cc engine
TH - also known as a 6X4, 4 rear wheels drive, no rear suspension
TH Diesel - Diesel version of TH

XUV 620 - 4 wheel drive, limited off road use
XUV 825i - Hi performance, utility cross-over, off road
XUV 855d - Diesel version of 825i.

New models
XUV 550 - 4 wheel drive, off-road 570cc engine, mid size chassis

XUV 550/4 - 4 Seat version of XUV 550

To be released soon:
RUV 850i - Hi performance, sport 4X4 SXS

They are all Gators though.

JohnDeere Gator Utility Vehicles JohnDeere.com?
THANKS DARRYL. MY BAD. GREAT INFO & PIX. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
THANKS DARRYL. MY BAD. GREAT INFO & PIX. THANKS FOR SHARING.
No bad there, I'm just shamelessly throwing in a plug for John Deere... :D

In 2 1/2 weeks, I'll be in Florida at the John Deere product release. They will have the XUV 550 and 550-4 there, as well as they should have the new RSX 850i Sport Gator there. I'll get lots of photos and give a report to UTV Underground when I return unless Joey or Jon beat me to it...

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Another, more current photo of the new RSX 850i sport Gator...

Sports a V-twin 850cc motor. Looks like they got kinda funky with that front bumper...
John Deere showed a video of a pre-production model to a few dealers in August. But last year, the engineers said they should have it ready for us to drive at in November at the Florida product release.

Okay, sorry for hi-jacking the thread...

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I have experience with two work UTVs:

2011 John Deere Gator XUV 825i Long Term Review
2009 Polaris RZR HD Long Term Review

Both have good sized beds with the ability to actually carry the weight in the specs. The Gator has a longer bed.

The Ranger HD has self-leveling shocks that kick in and lift the rear as necessary while you drive (takes a little bit of driving). The power steering on the HD is awesome. Did some recreational riding with the Ranger as well.

The Gator is more towards the work side than the Ranger, but I did take it to Sand Mountain and romped around the dunes with it one weekend - John Deere Gator 825i XUV Dune Review

Either are great machines that are built for work, but also suitable for trail rides.

socal2ks

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas
I would get a sport machine with a tow hitch and tow a little trailer around.

Like I am going to use either the XP or Wildcat to check irrigation systems and other general farm work.

Why I think the trailer idea works better, with my prowler I tried to load a 24in pivot tire (heavy) into the back and it was just a pain in the ass. A lower trailer would have worked much better, and I could have had loaded multiple tires.

The only downside is the locked rear diff, not so good for turning on grass or pavement.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
In the UTV Product Review threads you will find that I have been using and testing 2 work vehicles for the past year. 1. The John Deere Gator XUV 8251 and 2. The Polaris Ranger Crew with EPS.

Both are awesome. Both are different. Both have different accesories. If you need to haul people and stuff then the Ranger Crew is a WINNER! The EPS is amazing and makes steering a breeze especially at slow speeds. The cargo dump bed is massive and it has a large under seat storage area as well as a good size glove box and small storage compartment under the hood. You can haul 6 adults comfortable and with its 4wd set up you can go almost anywhere. It also has an unlocking rear diff for driving on grass or streets. I love this thing, it is our go to UTV for running the kids to the bus stop and running around the property with the family.

The John Deere Gator is by far my favorite workhorse when its just me vs. the property. John Deere set me up with all the goodies including a large WARN winch that has come in handy more than a few times when moving logs or pulling out trees. I lvoe its low power range and lever actuated locking rear differential. It allows you to also drive on grass and streets without wheel hop. My favorite part of the XUV 825i is the electric dump bed. The bed is huge and rugged and dumps with the push of a button. If I need to I can easily pull the sides off the bed and make it a flat bed for hauling larger items. Its torue filled 3 cylinder is awesome for hauling loads or pulling a trailer. We use this bad boy daily! We just got done cutting down and chopping up a 100yr old oak tree and both our John Deere and Polaris Ranger Crew helped get the job done!!!

Jackalope

Oct 13, 2011
No problem, but I view the new RUV 850 much like the Polaris Razr, a fine design if that's what you're looking for. For me, not nearly enough bed, no tilt on the bed and a lot spent on performance I don't need.

I think the "mainstream" Rhinos, Rangers, etc. are what I'm looking for. I just want one that will take WORKING punishment as opposed to RACING punishment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000